Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Lobster in Bar Harbor & Portland, Maine?

Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM

I am going to Maine and was looking for recommendations for places to eat lobster in Bar Harbor and Portland, Maine. We will be going to both places in the middle of September. We will also be in Boston for a couple days too if anyone has any lobster spots there too.

Thank you for any suggestions/advice in advance!
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Ok....

Bar Harbor: Here's what I recommend. Go to a different part of the island. Seriously, for the best lobster pound experience, you need to get away from the horde of tourists in Bar Harbor. I can't recommend this place enough. Go to Thurston's Lobster pound located in Bernard which is close to Bass Harbor. It's where the locals go and it's open year round and is a working wharf. http://www.acadiainfo.com/thurstons.htm Here is someone's review with pictures: http://www.fullcirc.com/weblog/2004/...ster-pound.htm

Portland: I like sitting outside with a view of the harbor. I recommend driving to South Freeport which is 20 minutes from Portland. http://www.hollyeats.com/Harraseeket.htm

Some like the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth, about 15 minutes from Portland. While it's got the great view of being right on the ocean, it is hard to get a 1 3/4 lobster. Mostly 1-1/4 pounds. Yet it's gorgeous there. Check them out: http://lobstershack-twolights.com/
Old Jul 21, 2005, 1:57 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Analise
Ok....

Some like the Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth
Me, me, me, me ^
Old Jul 21, 2005, 10:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Thanks Analise and Moderator2 for the suggestions.
Old Jul 21, 2005, 11:16 pm

Programs: UA 2 Million, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Lobster Pound in Ogunquit

Originally Posted by CApreppie
Thanks Analise and Moderator2 for the suggestions.
A fairly short detour SE of Portland would take you to Ogunquit where you can choose your own lobster - 1 1/4 - 5 lbs.
Old Jul 22, 2005, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by bobbrownson
A fairly short detour SE of Portland would take you to Ogunquit where you can choose your own lobster - 1 1/4 - 5 lbs.
Most good lobster pounds will let you choose your own lobster. The ones which don't.....well, you lose some of the fun experience IMHO.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by Analise
Portland: I like sitting outside with a view of the harbor. I recommend driving to South Freeport which is 20 minutes from Portland. http://www.hollyeats.com/Harraseeket.htm
Having been there recently, I give Harraseeket ^ ; great soft-shelled lobsters! But I could do without the 1-1.5 hr line.
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:53 pm

Programs: United
In Boston, Check out Anthony's Pier 4. Pricey, but good food, and you can end up with a nice view of the city from the right part of the restaurant. Went there for a wedding reception a while back in the summer, and it was great. They've also got a selection of cigars for purchase, I think their webpage is www.anthonyspier4.com but I could be mistaken...
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ski CB
In Boston, Check out Anthony's Pier 4. Pricey, but good food, and you can end up with a nice view of the city from the right part of the restaurant. Went there for a wedding reception a while back in the summer, and it was great. They've also got a selection of cigars for purchase, I think their webpage is www.anthonyspier4.com but I could be mistaken...
Jimmy's Harborside is located adjacent to Anthony's, and doesn't have quite the bite on the wallet. Haven't been there in a while, but I imagine it's still there.

O/H
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by travelnutz
Having been there recently, I give Harraseeket ^ ; great soft-shelled lobsters! But I could do without the 1-1.5 hr line.
It's August and the weather is cool and pleasant. It isn't just I who hates the heat of the summer.
Old Jul 9, 2006, 11:05 am

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bobbrownson
I am planning a trip to southern Maine in a couple weeks. Finding a good spot for a lobster roll has been easy - but finding a good spot for a lobster dinner seems to be a challenge. Most of the restaurants seem to advertise tiny little 1lb-1.25lb lobsters at prices higher than what I pay for Maine lobster in Florida.

Any specific suggestions on a restaurant that offers 2lb+ lobsters at 'local' prices would be greatly appreciated. We are not looking for ambience - quite the contrary. Ideally, hauling twin 2lb.ers over to a picnic table on the water is preferred to an inside restaurant with candlelight prices.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Any specific suggestions on a restaurant that offers 2lb+ lobsters at 'local' prices would be greatly appreciated. We are not looking for ambience - quite the contrary. Ideally, hauling twin 2lb.ers over to a picnic table on the water is preferred to an inside restaurant with candlelight prices.
When we were at Haraseeket Lunch & Lobster around Mem Day weekend, my husband chose a 2.2 lb lobster. As mentioned in this thread already, HL&L is in South Freeport which is about 20 minutes from Portland.

Last summer, we drove to Georgetown (about an hour from Portland) to Five Islands Lobster. It's got picnic tables and counters to order your lobster. They were large lobsters and small ones. The prices were pretty good. The ambiance was great; just picnic tables, lobster boats, water, islands, and lots of pine trees. ^
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
If somebody's still looking for a lobster pound suggestion in the "Bah Hahbah" area, I'd strongly suggest Trenton Bridge. It's just before the bridge to Mt. Desert Island. I've been going there several times a year for a long time and their lobsters and homemade blueberry pie ala mode kicks serious butt.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Great news, thank you. I had Five Islands on my list, but when I checked the menus of this, and other local lobster shacks, I only saw 1-1.25lb bugs and none of the huge ones I would expect to be easily available in Maine.

I think twin 2lbs will hit the spot perfectly...anything much bigger ends up being tough and flavorless anyway. A picnic table overlooking the water at sunset would be priceless.

I will post a review here in a couple weeks after the trip
Old Jul 10, 2006, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by Cholula
If somebody's still looking for a lobster pound suggestion in the "Bah Hahbah" area, I'd strongly suggest Trenton Bridge. It's just before the bridge to Mt. Desert Island. I've been going there several times a year for a long time and their lobsters and homemade blueberry pie ala mode kicks serious butt.
That makes a trip to Georgetown seem nearby. Trenton, Maine is a bit of a haul from southern Maine. But it's a good recommendation if you're heading to MDI.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.