FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Maine Lobsters and Lobsterfest questions (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/454580-maine-lobsters-lobsterfest-questions.html)

Mike1625 Jul 20, 2005 12:53 pm

Maine Lobsters and Lobsterfest questions

I'll be in Maine for one night, August 6th. (arriving at about 4 PM). I know my dinner will be lobster, but I'm coming alone, so I don't want a fancy place, just a reasonably priced casual place. Anyone have a good suggestion.

Also, I love to explore, Acadia (spelling?) I think is too far away for my very short visit (I land at 4PM leave 6PM the next morning). An internet search told me Rockland, Maine was having a lobsterfest .. has anyone been to it, is it worth it, or should I do something else. I would be tempted to take a drive up the coast, to see Maine anyways, so Rockland is on the way.

Any help is always appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

the_traveler Jul 20, 2005 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mike1625
I'll be in Maine for one night, August 6th. (arriving at about 4 PM).

Also, I love to explore, Acadia (spelling?) I think is too far away for my very short visit (I land at 4PM leave 6PM the next morning).

Where in Maine are you flying to? You only stated that you arrive at 4 PM and leave the next day at 6PM. You may get more help if you say where the flight is to. (Portland, Manchester, Boston, or some other city.)

sfmaine Jul 20, 2005 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Mike1625
I'll be in Maine for one night, August 6th. (arriving at about 4 PM). I know my dinner will be lobster, but I'm coming alone, so I don't want a fancy place, just a reasonably priced casual place. Anyone have a good suggestion.

Also, I love to explore, Acadia (spelling?) I think is too far away for my very short visit (I land at 4PM leave 6PM the next morning). An internet search told me Rockland, Maine was having a lobsterfest .. has anyone been to it, is it worth it, or should I do something else. I would be tempted to take a drive up the coast, to see Maine anyways, so Rockland is on the way.

Thanks!
Mike

If you are arriving at PWM (Portland). Rockland is about 1 1/2 hours away. Weekend traffic in Maine, especially on the coast, is pretty hectic. Where will you be staying?? I would recommend limiting yourself to either 1 hour north or 1 hour south of Portland. Better yet stay right in Portland and visit the "Old Port" section. you can get "lobstah" anywhere in Maine. Newick's Restaurant is pretty good, very Maine and inexpensive. If you arrive at MHT (Manchester). don't even think about going to Maine. Too much traffic and you don't have enough time. If you arrive in Boston, Stay there. Traffic from Boston to Maine, via NH, is extremely hectic on weekends. 7 mile backup at NH toll is tpical on weekends. Enjoy your stay in Maine!!!

Mike1625 Jul 20, 2005 2:26 pm

Sorry about that. I'm flying into Portland.

BearX220 Jul 20, 2005 2:57 pm

The miles take longer to cover in Maine; no freeways along the coast north of Portland. Forget a Portland-Rockland drive if you're only there for one night.

The suggestion to just stay in the Old Port section of Portland is a good one. But if you want to get out of the city I'd suggest heading south on I-95 a few miles to Wells, Kennebunk or Ogunquit. Ogunquit and the Perkins Cove area are pretty charming, an hour or less from Portland, and there are all kinds of little lobster shacks and informal places to eat.

Analise Jul 21, 2005 7:20 am

With your time frame, you don't allow yourself any time to go to the Lobster Fest which is too bad.

Nevertheless, you can enjoy lobster outside and I recommend having dinner in South Freeport which is 20 minutes from Portland. Go to Harrasseeket Lunch and Lobster. Enjoy lobster as you enjoy sunset over the coast. http://www.hollyeats.com/Harraseeket.htm After dinner, drive into Freeport and check out LL Bean. It never closes so it's best to go at night.

The next day, you could choose from lots of boat rides in the Casco Bay. http://www.cascobaylines.com/ Or you could do the boat ride in the evening and go to Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster for lunch the next day. Lots of choices. I also recommend seeing the Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth. http://www.portlandheadlight.com/ It is supposed to be the most photographed lighthouse in the world. It's just so perfect. It's in a park too so you can walk along some trails, go swimming if you dare (I have), or just gaze at that beautiful beacon.

For breakfast, I recommend Becky's Diner. It's a Portland mainstay. Just to have a fresh blueberry muffin or blueberry pancake...yum! No frills, just perfect. http://www.beckysdiner.com/Flash/index.html

Mike1625 Jul 21, 2005 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone for all the help!!!!

- Mike

Analise Jul 21, 2005 2:56 pm

Please let us know what you end up doing. :p

PSUhorty Jul 28, 2005 8:31 pm

I agree about the Kennebunk/Ogunquit suggestion. Nice drive through the area. You could head up to Freeport, 30 mins north of Portland, too. Home of L.L. Bean and a neat little downtown.

If I had more time when I was up there last week, I'da spent some time up at the Belgrade Lakes region. Gorgeous area.

Re: Lobster
There's no shortage of it right now. If you want a good lobster dinner, ask a local. They'll tell you where to go.

If your heading back home after Maine, you can also purchase live lobster and carry on the plane. Again, ask a local... they'll recommend a good place. I just did this last week.

sbtinme Jul 29, 2005 3:06 pm

Analise's suggestions are right on target and perfect for your 24 hr timeframe window. Harraseekett in Freeport is classic Maine and the location is ideal -- bring your camera!!! Also, a stop into LLBean is obligatory for every visitor to Maine!

She's also right on with the suggestion to enjoy a harbor ferry trip on Casco Bay Lines -- tickets for a round trip island ferry might run you $10 or so and, if the weather's good, it will be your most memorable experience in years. Just can't beat it. Also, when that's done, the ferry terminal is right in the very heart of the old port with great food and taverns at your beck and call.

Lastly, I'll add that I live in Portland ME! Enjoy your terribly short time here -- next time plan to stay a while!

DennyO Aug 24, 2005 2:08 pm

I hope Mike enjoyed his trip.
I was advising a visitor to go to Haraseeket Lunch & Lobster recently and he told me he knw right where it was, but when he described it, he was obviously talking about the Haraseeket Inn. The Inn (downtown Freeport) is very upscale (for Maine), great but fancy and expensive food. Lunch and Lobster (in South Freeport) on the other hand is very casual and economical but also delicious.

Analise Aug 26, 2005 8:28 am

Originally Posted by DennyO
I hope Mike enjoyed his trip.
I was advising a visitor to go to Haraseeket Lunch & Lobster recently and he told me he knw right where it was, but when he described it, he was obviously talking about the Haraseeket Inn. The Inn (downtown Freeport) is very upscale (for Maine), great but fancy and expensive food. Lunch and Lobster (in South Freeport) on the other hand is very casual and economical but also delicious.

Did you friend end up going to So Freeport?

DennyO Aug 26, 2005 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
Did you friend end up going to So Freeport?

Don't know. I haven't spoken to him since that day. He is from the midwest (Kansas?) and I may hear from him by email. Another friend and I were comparing the two places, and the Inn was highly recommended by my other friend who went there for a special meal.

EdV Aug 29, 2005 2:50 pm

What about Bar Harbor?

While we're on the topic, can anyone recommend a similar restaurant for lobsters and the like in Bar Harbor? I'm heading there with the GF for labor day weekend but don't know much about the area. :)