Search

Questions about a NH/VT vacation

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Questions about a NH/VT vacation

My wife who will be 5-6 months pregnant, our 1.5 yo daughter and I are planning a trip to NH/VT in September/October. Her choice, not mine.
We have a timeshare exchange that we need to use.
She wants forests and potentially turning leaves.
I have not been to the area since I was a young child, so I know little about the area and have lots of questions.
What is the weather like in September and October?
When do the leaves typically change color in that area?
Is there more to do in Stowe or Killington or the NH ski resorts?
What else is there to do besides hiking?

Thanks for any advice, insight, words of wisdom, etc.
Old Jun 14, 2005, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA PLT
In New England it can always rain, but Sept and Oct have generally excellent weather. Foliage changing varies w/ how far north you go. There will be plenty of color by about Sept 20 or so if you go as far as North Conway; in southern VT and NH mid-Oct is more like it. "Peak" is, IMO, elusive. Some of the brightest reds occur very early, while there is still alot of green.

Activities in addition to hiking would include any outdoor activities (golf, tennis, canoeing, e.g.), searching out covered bridges. shopping (ugh)... There are museums here and there. What is it that you want to do? Sitting in a rocking chair admiring a big old sugar maple in all its autumnal glory is a pretty nice way to while away an afternoon (no, sorry, I don't have anywhere particular in mind!).
Old Aug 11, 2005, 2:13 pm

YOur wife should be happy withthe forest and trees in any of these places. Stowe has a great bike path, Alpine slide, lots of great restaurants, upscale shopping, Trapp Family lodge, hikes of all levels, near cider mill, Ben and Jerry's factory(tour and samples).

North Conway has lots of outlet shopping, restaurants, hikes of all levels, scenic train rides.

WAterville Valley is a ski town that is the kind of place you can park your car and not get in again till you leave-inclusive packages include bike rentals, kayak or paddleboat on small pond, tennis and there is also golf, rec/athletic center, and they have other activities. Golden EAgle is a good place to stay there-you have a condo with kitchen in a hotel type building.

Have fun!
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1mm; DL Plt; Marriott Gold; Hyatt something or other; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
We have a timeshare exchange that we need to use.
She wants forests and potentially turning leaves.
Where are the time share location possibilities? Might be the limiting factor - there are nice aspects of every corner of both states (though I tend to be a NH devotee!).
Old Aug 16, 2005, 10:13 am

Elusive? Yes, indeed. Every single time I've been in New England in September or October, the locals invariably say, "Too bad you weren't here last week when it was really spectacular." Only occasionally have they said, "Too bad you won't be here next week. It will really be spectacular then." Whatever. For a Californian, the leaves always look pretty spectacular in New England in the fall. Just driving down the highway is a treat (for the scenery, anyway).
Old Aug 16, 2005, 1:39 pm

Programs: Peon in all
Wink

Originally Posted by pqflyer
For a Californian, the leaves always look pretty spectacular in New England in the fall. Just driving down the highway is a treat (for the scenery, anyway).
I'll agree with that.

Growing up in upstate NY, I was always used to the leaves changing each fall into glorious colors. When I moved to NV and AZ for 6 years, there was no color (to me). All the natives said things like "this year is one of the best". So I traveled to a highly forested area.

All I saw (mostly) were yellow leaves! None of the red, blue, yellow, black, etc... colors that I was used to back east. To me, it looked very dull.

Now that I moved to RI, I look forward to seeing the fall colors again!
Old Aug 19, 2005, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA, Jetblue (love it for the transcons), Northwest, HHonors, Marriott Rewards, Avis PS, UCLA fan!
Dartmouth University is on the NH and VT border. It is a great college town that I always enjoy visiting.

Ben and Jerry's isn't too far from Stowe, VT. I think you will also find a Vermont Teddy Bear store near Stowe.

My favorite place to visit is Burlington, VT. This has to be the most charming town in the US. And I am sure the drive to Burlington will be amazing in late Sept/early Oct. As far as activities go, I think you can take a boat across Lake Champlain to the NY side and visit Ft. Ticonderoga. I haven't done this myself and hope to the next time I am in Burlington.

Mt. Monadnock and Mt. Washington (both in NH) are absolutely spectacular. Mt. Washington might be better for your wife and daughter since you can either drive or take a train to the top.

And finally, I recommend a drive through the Kancamangus pass in the NH white mountains. It is probably one of the best foliage drives in New England.

I am a big fan of trips to VT, NH, and ME. Feel free to send me a message if you have any specific questions. I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose to do on your trip.

Last edited by bruingirl; Aug 19, 2005 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 19, 2005, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by bruingirl
Dartmouth University is on the NH and VT border.
Lived here a long time, never knew about Dartmouth University though -- that a new place?
Old Aug 24, 2005, 2:00 pm

Programs: aa co
As a Mainer, I have visited neighboring VT and NH many times in all seasons. Many natives regard fall as the best time of year. Late Sept, early Oct is jacket weather. Apple picking, leisurely walks in the woods or scenic drives are the favorite activites of many. The first week of October is the Fryeburg Fair in Fryeburg ME, about 20 min from No. Conway NH. I'd bet there are fairs in VT as well.

As with any vacation, please look at this trip with an open mind. Pointing out that the choice was hers, not yours, makes me think you are not looking forward to it and that your negative attitude may sour the whole thing. Don't let that happen. A chance to unwind for a week may turn out to be your favorite vacation yet.
Old Aug 29, 2005, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Um... it's Dartmouth College. It is a small college, quoth Webster, but there are those of us who love it. (I made it through four winters there.)

Ben & Jerry's is in Waterbury, about 15 minutes east of Burlington. In leaf-peeping season the road from Waterbury down through Waitsfield, Route 100, is one of the prettiest drives in Vermont.

Another is US 302 across the Green and White Mountains. The ride from Barre over to North Conway, NH is beautiful any time of year.

I worked in Burlington for five years in the '80s and agree with bruingirl about its native charm. Don't know about the Lake Champlain boat rides, but you can certainly spend an afternoon walking Church Street. A side trip down Route 7 to Shelburne is worthwhile also.
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:38 am

Programs: Peon in all
I'm not sure how long (in the season) the ferry operates, but there is a ferry that operates from Burlington, VT to Port Kent, NY across Lake Champlain. This is well north of Fort Ti. There is also a bridge across the southern part of the Lake that will be near Ticonderoga. It can be accesssed from Route 7 between Burlington and Rutland.

As a (former) native, I am somewhat partial that the foliage in the (NY) Adirondacks rivals that of VT. You will see some of this foliage on the drive from Port Kent to Ticonderoga on Route 22, which also runs along the western shore of Lake Champlain. It is also an easy (and very scenic) drive from Port Kent to Lake Placid via Route 73. (I think that is the # - it's been 11 years!)
Old Aug 30, 2005, 9:43 am

We're native Vermonters and still weekend there about 10 times a year -- especially in September and October. Our favorite locales are Quechee, Woodstock, Weston, Dorset, Manchester, Middlebury, Burlington and Stowe.
Old Sep 2, 2005, 8:30 pm

Programs: NWA-Plat; UA, DL, CO, etc non elite; Marriott: Plat, HHonors; Diamond; SPG etc, member
Originally Posted by bruingirl
My favorite place to visit is Burlington, VT. This has to be the most charming town in the US.
And that is the reason I live here!

We do fall right in Northern Vermont. It can get into the 80's on sunny days and drop to the low 50's at night. Peak fall color is a very elusive thing although you can usually expect some color the third week of September in the higher elevations of Stowe and Jays' Peak; Southern Vermont may be peak the last week of October. While the fall colors are wonderful to see while zipping along the freeway, don't forget to look for the ancient sugar maple in the north end of Burlington, or the campus at Hanover, or the town office park at St. Albans. It's all spectacular, come enjoy.

If you get tired of the natural wonders and crave some nightlife, remember Montreal is only about an hour and a half away. While Burlington is a charming town, Montreal is one of my favorite cities.

The ferry at Burlington will run until at least November, and 15 miles north you will find the year round ferry at Grand Isle. Grand Isle is worth visiting for the orchards and fall festivals.

Book your hotel rooms now as availability will be tight.
Old Sep 6, 2005, 2:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by the_traveler
I'm not sure how long (in the season) the ferry operates, but there is a ferry that operates from Burlington, VT to Port Kent, NY across Lake Champlain. This is well north of Fort Ti. There is also a bridge across the southern part of the Lake that will be near Ticonderoga. It can be accesssed from Route 7 between Burlington and Rutland.
There is also the Fort Ti ferry. Runs from Larrabee's Point in Vermont across to Ticonderoga.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.