Boston Marathon Logistics - Newbie Questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler

An extended family member has qualified for and will be running in the April 2023 Boston Marathon. I have been to Boston once before for vacation and did the typical tourist stuff. So I have some idea of the general lay of the land. This trip will be focused on supporting and seeing the family member in The Marathon. I have looked at the BAA website and it is helpful but doesn't address all of my questions. Hoping to benefit from the experience of some locals here on FT.

Background and Questions:

1) Lodging - Trying to minimize costs so it will fit within the budget constraints of our entire group. With that disclaimer, I have been able to find lodging either in Marlborough, MA (e.g. near the Hopkinton Start); Cambridge, MA; or Boston Seaport Area that is within our budget. Not sure which one would be best logistically on Marathon day.

2) Goal is to see our runner at the starting line, time permitting at an intermediate point along the course, and then at the finish line. They will be starting in one of the waves after the professional runners.

3) Assuming mass transit MBTA is our best bet for transportation on Marathon Day.

4) If we stay in Marlborough and drop off our runner, is there anywhere nearby to park to be able to see the start? How early in the day would we need to arrive to get parking? Alternatively, is Uber/Lyft a reasonable option for the initial drop off? How about a way to get to MBTA to head into town after the start? I am assuming the MBTA parking at Ashland will probably be full.

5) If we stay in either Cambridge or Seaport Area, our runner can take the BAA shuttle from Boston Commons to the starting line. For the rest of us, is there public transit beyond Ashland (looks like the closest train stop) to get to the starting line in Hopkinton? Is Uber/Lyft a reasonable alternative to get from Ashland to the starting line?

My general sense is we're better off staying somewhere near downtown so that our runner can take the BAA shuttle and we can use public transit to get to the starting line. I am thinking trying to do a drop off in Hopkinton the morning of and find parking will be a nightmare. Is my impression correct? Other suggestions for easier and/or more reliable logistics welcome. Thanks in advance for your help!

--Jon

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Nov 3, 2022 at 2:22 pm
Old Nov 3, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
There's a lot to digest here. Some preliminary thoughts.

The runner is almost certainly required to take the BAA shuttle out to Hopkinton.
I would discourage you from going to the starting line - starts are staggered and it's hard to get to and there are so many people that you're unlikely to get much out of seeing it.
I would pick a couple of spots to view - say Wellesley and Brookline. May be easier to have your own car for that - it's tricky traffic wise but as long as you stay either or north or south of the marathon route at all times, it's doable.
I would stay in Cambridge . . . easy for runner to connect with you after finishing.

Will give it more thought.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I agree with Yahtzee. Transportation is provided for runners and only runners to Hopkinton, and most of the MBTA system doesn't go anywhere near there. The commuter rail does go out there but it runs on a weekend schedule on Patriots' Day, which means it only operates once every hour or two. So you'd really need a car or take an expensive Uber/Lyft to see your family member at both the start and finish lines. So of the places you listed, I'd stay in Cambridge, take public transportation to the Heartbreak Hill area, Coolidge Corner, and then the finish line.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 8:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
First, thanks for the guidance so far! I'll have a car and our other family will also have their own car (e.g. two cars). Was leaning toward MBTA (other than the starting line where it looked problematic and you both confirmed it would be) based on the recommendations at the BAA website. So if I was driving and want to ideally catch 2 intermediate points (minimum one intermediate point) and the finish line, where do you recommend that parking would be okay? We might divide and conquer with the two families each going to a different intermediate point and then meet up at the finish line.

As far as where to stay, we could also potentially also stay at the airport or Medford within our budget. If there is another location that is better, I am open to it. For guidance I am looking at <= $200/night including taxes, Marriott Points <= 50K per night, or IHG points <= 45K per night. Obviously this greatly limits where we can stay. We need 2 x two queen bed rooms. As expected, MR and IHG award availability is already limited. I do have some rooms already booked: 2 Rooms at Fairfield Logan Airport/Chelsea, 2 Rooms at Aloft Boston Seaport, 2 Rooms at Cambridge Courtyard, and 1 Room at Fairfield Cambridge (working on the 2nd room). I want to settle on a property soon and cancel the other rooms. Overall, within our budget I am just looking for a location that would be relatively easy to get our runner to Boston Commons for the shuttle bus in the morning and then for the rest of us to get (now drive) to a viewing area. We want to minimize the amount of hassle for our runner so they can be in the best shape possible for the race. The rest of us will deal with hassle if/as needed to go see them.

Thanks,

Jon
Old Nov 3, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
You can usually find parking in Natick Center near the marathon route on marathon day. I'm not sure about elsewhere.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 6:59 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
I'm not sure about the Commuter rail info, above. I used to work in Back Bay and I believe the commuter rail schedule to South Station (or Back Bay) was the usual one on Patriot's Day. Station was PACKED at evening rush hour

https://sports.yahoo.com/patriots-da...172800067.html
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:28 pm

In terms of logistics and proximity to the subway/T, if you can get two rooms at the Fairfield Cambridge, that would be first choice. Courtyard Cambridge would be second (not particularly close to public transport).

I agree with driving to Natick and then driving to Heartbreak Hill or BC area. Again, if you stay south of the marathon route for all of that, driving should be okay. I don't know much (anything?) about subway lines/commuter rail west of BC. If you have a group, you should split up. Have some folks near Fenway Park or Coolidge Corner in Brookline or out by Boston College.
Old Nov 4, 2022, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

If I can't get a second room at the FI Cambridge, is the CY Cambridge still a better location than the Aloft in the Seaport area?

Thanks again,

Jon
Old Nov 4, 2022, 4:38 pm

They are both in a bit of no man's land but Aloft will be closer to public transit.
Old Nov 5, 2022, 5:13 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The CY Courtyard isn't a bad walk to close to the end of the marathon route. The Seaport would be more difficult
Old Nov 6, 2022, 11:22 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The Aloft in the Seaport is out of the way, but it woudln't be too terrible to get to the finish line from there on public transportation. Walk to Silver Line Way, take any Silver Line bus heading to South Station, and then either transfer for free to the subway (red line to green line), or exit to the main train station and take a train to Back Bay Station (Providence/Stoughton line, Needham Line, Franklin/Foxboro Line, and Worcester/Framingham Line all stop at Back Bay) which is walking distance from the finish line at Copley Square. The train ticket is $2.40 per person, although they probably won't check tickets between the two stations.

If you want to check out other spots, having a car will help. If you stay south of the course and go along MA Route 9, you might find parking on a side street to walk over to the marathon route. All bus routes that cross the marathon route, and the C branch of the Green Line on the marathon route will be suspended/truncated well before the marathon route on that day, and green line trains will bypass the Copley Square station.

Last edited by diburning; Nov 6, 2022 at 11:28 am
Old Nov 6, 2022, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I apologize for not having read this entire thread, but just a thought on seeing the runners at about the 15 mile mark and then again close to the finish line:

I think the Eliot station on the Green line should be easily assessable notwithstanding the marathon because of its proximity to Route 9. You can park in the lot there or if it’s full in the adjacent neighborhood. Then take the Green line toward Riverside two stops to the Woodland station, which is adjacent to the course, I think at around the 15 mile mark. After seeing your runner, you can then hop back on the Green line into Boston and hop off at Hynes Convention Center, which is a few blocks from the finish line. After the race then just hop back on the Green line to go fetch your car.
diburning likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:05 am

Programs: DL, B6
Hi - I live in Boston and have run the marathon. Some thoughts:

1. Don't bother with trying to drive on Patriot's Day. It's frustrating (normal Boston driving is frustrating enough as is).

2. The T is also frustrating and I wouldn't use the past as an accurate predictor for future service. You can trek from the commuter rail stop in Ashland to the start line but it is a hike and likely to be messy - and as noted, I'd be dubious of the schedule. So,

3. As others have noted, ditch the idea of seeing your runner at the start line. You won't be able to park anywhere nearby for miles.

4. Plan on using the D branch of the green line to get out to Newton to see the middle section of the race, or if you insist on driving you can go to Wellesley near the college. The C line up Beacon St in Brookline has some good views as well.

5. I have a strong aversion to the Seaport. It's antiseptic, anywhere USA. The only benefit to me would be if you did not rent a car and wanted the ease of the silver line to/from the airport. Also walkable to the World Trade Center for bib pickup etc. On that note...

6. I'd suggest keeping your hotel to the urban core - the Cambridge locations are nice because they are in walkable neighborhoods with subway service nearby. I believe the Courtyard is in Kendall Sq above the red line stop, and there are a ton of great restaurants nearby. Fairfield is next to Lechmere on the green line and walkable to Kendall Sq restos (10-15 mins depending on your pace). Being out in the city is one of the charms of Boston especially on marathon weekend; a suburban or airport hotel kind of kills that.

Good luck and pray for good weather!
Old Nov 8, 2022, 5:34 am
Original Poster

All. Thank you for all of the good advice. I appreciate it! I have decided to stay in the Cambridge area. I have also decided to try to only see my runner once in the middle of the race, probably in Newton, and then at the finish line. Thanks again!

--Jon
Yahtzee likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2022, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by GoBob

6. I'd suggest keeping your hotel to the urban core - the Cambridge locations are nice because they are in walkable neighborhoods with subway service nearby. I believe the Courtyard is in Kendall Sq above the red line stop, and there are a ton of great restaurants nearby.
Alas, the Courtyard is on Memorial Drive between Trader Joe's and Whole Foods.
GoBob likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.