4 days NE itin

Old Aug 30, 22, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
4 days NE itin

Hello FT'ers. My mom has requested a "4 days in 4 states" tour of New England in mid-late October. While I prefer more time in each location, this trip is for her.

I booked speculative hotels during a recent IHG award flash sale. Based on that, Here's a possible itin:

Day 0 - arrive in Boston
Day 1 - Boston to Portland, Maine
Day 2 - Portland to Arcadia NP
Day 3 - Arcadia to Keene, NH (on the way: White Mountains, Lake Winnipesaukee)
Day 4 - Keene to Lake George / Queensbury (on the way: Green Mountains)
Day 5 - back to Boston.

The drive between Arcadia and Keene is long, and overall Arcadia is quite a detour from the other places. Here are some alternatives I'm considering:

Alt 1 - Don't stay in Portland, extra night in Arcadia. We can still spend a few hours in Portland on the way to Arcadia.
Alt 2 - Forget Arcadia, extra day elsewhere (any suggestions?)

I know it's past peak foliage, but hoping to see a little bit. Keene is mostly for sleeping, but it seems like a decent town to see? Hotel prices are expensive all around ($200-300 a night), so happy to use discounted points where I can.

Questions:
- is it worth going to Arcadia in mid-late Oct?
- are there better routes in mid-late Oct? For example, if no fall color left in the mountains, maybe skip them.

Cheers.
Old Aug 30, 22, 11:20 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by italdesign View Post
...but hoping to see a little bit. Keene is mostly for sleeping, but it seems like a decent town to see? Hotel prices are expensive all around ($200-300 a night), so happy to use discounted points where I can.
Take a look at Brattleboro as well; the Holiday Inn Express there is recently remodeled and one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. Avoid the Brattleboro Hampton Inn.

Downtown Keene is really cute and quaint and has some fun shops and restaurants. There is also a self-guided covered bridge tour south of town that takes about an hour.

For restaurant suggestions, see Restaurant recommendations for Brattleboro VT/Keene NH

Last edited by cblaisd; Aug 30, 22 at 2:50 pm
Old Aug 30, 22, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
OP: Would you consider substituting Mt. Washington for Acadia National Park? The last day of operation of the toll road to the summit is October 23. After that day -- until October 30 -- another option would be to take the Cog Railway to "Skyline" (5,500' elevation). The Cog Railway does not go all the way to the summit after October 10.
Old Aug 30, 22, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
OP: Would you consider substituting Mt. Washington for Acadia National Park?
That's Mt Washington in NH, right? What would it be like in late Oct?
Old Aug 30, 22, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
That's Mt Washington in NH, right? What would it be like in late Oct?
Cold:

https://www.mountwashington.org/expe...-extremes.aspx

But pretty:

https://www.mountwashington.org/weat...s/default.aspx

(Best to check the weathercams during daylight hours.)

If time allows, breakfast or dinner in the Main Dining Room of the Mount Washington Resort (now an Omni) in nearby Bretton Woods would be a special treat.

https://www.omnihotels.com/hotels/br...in-dining-room
Old Aug 31, 22, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
That strikes me as way too much driving. I would skip Acadia (note there's no "r" in the name).

Two nights in Portland - use as a base to visit Freeport, Kennebunkport or other coastal towns; one night in Keene or Hanover, NH; one night in Woodstock or Stowe, VT.
Old Aug 31, 22, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
If its convenient or more accurately, not too inconvenient Height of Land, a scenic overlook on Route 17 in Roxbury, Maine, is the most beautiful overlook and leaf viewing area Ive ever seen anywhere. Ive driven back to Maine just to visit it again.

Height of Land
https://maps.app.goo.gl/p6m72EPg1w11BChZA?g_st=ic
Old Aug 31, 22, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Take a look at Brattleboro as well; the Holiday Inn Express there is recently remodeled and one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in. Avoid the Brattleboro Hampton Inn.
As you may recall from your other thread, Ive spent a fair bit of time in Brattleboro (and have stayed at the Holiday Inn Express several times), but Im not sure Id recommend it as a tourist destination. What did you do there?
Old Aug 31, 22, 2:36 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Simply did an overnight there. I was under the impression that the op was simply looking for decent hotels for overnighting, not "destination" hotels. (It did have the coolest television setup I've seen in a hotel). The Hyatt properties in Keene are likely a bit nicer, but the Battleboro HIX is a very decent choice after its remodel.
Old Aug 31, 22, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Hello FT'ers. My mom has requested a "4 days in 4 states" tour of New England in mid-late October. While I prefer more time in each location, this trip is for her.

I booked speculative hotels during a recent IHG award flash sale. Based on that, Here's a possible itin:

Day 0 - arrive in Boston
Day 1 - Boston to Portland, Maine
Day 2 - Portland to Arcadia NP
Day 3 - Arcadia to Keene, NH (on the way: White Mountains, Lake Winnipesaukee)
Day 4 - Keene to Lake George / Queensbury (on the way: Green Mountains)
Day 5 - back to Boston.

The drive between Arcadia and Keene is long, and overall Arcadia is quite a detour from the other places. Here are some alternatives I'm considering:

Alt 1 - Don't stay in Portland, extra night in Arcadia. We can still spend a few hours in Portland on the way to Arcadia.
Alt 2 - Forget Arcadia, extra day elsewhere (any suggestions?)

I know it's past peak foliage, but hoping to see a little bit. Keene is mostly for sleeping, but it seems like a decent town to see? Hotel prices are expensive all around ($200-300 a night), so happy to use discounted points where I can.

Questions:
- is it worth going to Arcadia in mid-late Oct?
- are there better routes in mid-late Oct? For example, if no fall color left in the mountains, maybe skip them.

Cheers.
No - Acadia is going to take way too much time.

Check the websites prior to leaving to see if the "mountains" have any color left.

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Simply did an overnight there. I was under the impression that the op was simply looking for decent hotels for overnighting, not "destination" hotels. (It did have the coolest television setup I've seen in a hotel). The Hyatt properties in Keene are likely a bit nicer, but the Battleboro HIX is a very decent choice after its remodel.
And all of this is going to be tremendously expensive and busy this year with all of the folks who would have gone leaf peeping, all of the folks who are revenge tourists, all of the folks who are burning what's left of their mileage and point stashes and all of the folks who retired and want to do that thing that they ain't done yet.

David
Old Aug 31, 22, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
And all of this is going to be tremendously expensive and busy this year with all of the folks who would have gone leaf peeping....
For a random night in October at likely height of leaf peeping season, Brattleboro HIX $204 or 39,000 points; Keene HIX $145 or 30,000 points.
Old Aug 31, 22, 8:38 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
If Mom is a baker, you can stop at KIng Arthur Baking in Norwich, VT.

I agree with the others, It's a lot of driving. Acadia is wonderful, but you'll be spending all of your time in a car.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Aug 31, 22, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by AMflier View Post
I agree with the others, It's a lot of driving. Acadia is wonderful, but you'll be spending all of your time in a car.
p.s. to the OP: don't ask us how we know...

David
Old Aug 31, 22, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I replaced Acadia with Lake Winnie, which is also close to White Mountain.

Any recs for a quick stop in the Green Mountains and/or southern VT between Keene and Lake George? How about Manchester, VT?

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 1, 22 at 7:54 am Reason: Combine consecutive posts of same member to ease reading.
Old Sep 1, 22, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I replaced Acadia with Lake Winnie, which is also close to White Mountain.

Any recs for a quick stop in the Green Mountains and/or southern VT between Keene and Lake George? How about Manchester, VT?
I think VT is a stunningly beautiful state, but that Manchester is mostly about outlet shopping. And if youre into outlet shopping, Kittery, Maine is a much better option.

Are you hikers? If so, there are lots of options for day hikes in Vermont that we could recommend.

Search this Thread