Wiki Posts
Search

BOS uber/lyft availability latenight

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: JetBlue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum
BOS uber/lyft availability latenight

Has anyone tried to catch a uber/lyft after midnight lately out of BOS? Is boston still having issues w/ uber/lyft not being available? I don't want to be left in the cold with unavailable rideshare apps It would be a saturday night/early sunday timeframe....just wondering if I should book a car service to be safe. Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I've not gone after midnight but shortly before (Uber, not Lyft) and it's been much better than it was last summer and into the fall. Haven't had trouble getting a ride at all (usually just a 3 min wait). If you do see long waits make sure to try all the different types of rides (Comfort, Black). When drivers are short sometimes Black is cheaper than UberX, and available. I'd think you'll be fine; worst case you can get a taxi.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
At the airport there are always taxis available. Uber and Lyft should be available but if not, there's always a line of taxis and they are not as overpriced as they are in other cities. Metro Cabs is my preferred operator but they are all pretty safe. Unless it is the same price or cheaper (or unless you need a large or luxury vehicle), I would not book a car service in advance.

-J.
Old Jan 24, 2022, 4:57 am

Got an Uber at the 1230 last Sunday without an issue. Cost was double what I normally pay due to surge but I requested the ride as soon as I had my bags and he was waiting for me in the garage.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:59 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I hate getting Uber/Lyft at Logan late at night. Drivers will play games and shop around for rides, and the price is always sky high.

My usual trick is, if I arrive early enough where the silver line is still running, I'd hop on the silver line (it's free, there are luggage racks on board so don't worry about lugging your bags onto a bus) and request a ride when I get to South Station where it usually isn't surging, yet rides are usually available due to it being downtown (with nightclubs, bars, restaurants, etc), and the bus terminal has buses arriving and departing around the clock. If all else fails, I'd grab a taxi there (I've never had to though).

Of course this isn't useful if you're heading north from the airport, but if you're heading in almost any other direction, this will at least get you a little closer to home/wherever you're going. If you're heading north, grab a hotel shuttle (if they're still operating) and request your ride from there, or, grab a massport shuttle to the Airport MBTA station, walk across the bridge and through the park to Bremen st, and request your ride from there.
GW McLintock and mikejeep like this.

Last edited by diburning; Jan 26, 2022 at 3:05 am
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:31 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
MassPort could substantially improve the late night situation by paying for a few extra SL1 runs. I hardly blame TNC drivers for not wanting to take a risk on going to BOS for a late-night pickup. Last flights arrive long after there are any fares to be had going to Logan, so they have to take a risk on a tunnel toll to find a fare. Don't find that fare? Then they're paying a full round trip for nothing.

(A former colleague of mine first suggested this approach back before COVID-19...don't want to take credit for the idea!)
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:51 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
The dead spot is around 1AM to 3AM. Before 1AM, flights are still arriving, and the silver line is still operating. Between 1AM and 3AM, very few if any flights arrive at those times unless they're late. At 3AM, things pick up. There are people who arrive around 3AM for international (or are connecting to international) flights that depart around 4:30 or 5AM, so there will be an influx of drivers coming in to drop people off by then.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.