Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Are Vermont's Covid Restrictions Affecting Your Travel Plans?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2020, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards

We had planned to rent a cottage in VT in August. Because of the quarantine restrictions (our county is currently "yellow") we cancelled those plans and found a camp in the Adirondacks. Our holiday ski trip planning is also on hold until we see what happens.

While I feel those restrictions are wise, they do have consequences.

Are they affecting you? If so, how?
Old Sep 4, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Of course this all has a negative impact on the local economy and is an inconvenience for travelers. But, look at Vermont's Covid statistics and they are close to the best in the nation. "Best" = safer and people appear to value that. For good reason.
lo2e likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2020, 11:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
Of course this all has a negative impact on the local economy and is an inconvenience for travelers. But, look at Vermont's Covid statistics and they are close to the best in the nation. "Best" = safer and people appear to value that. For good reason.
Agreed. I hoped the thread would be a "How has this affected you" as opposed to a "Do you agree with" thread.

Once they began requiring lodging and short term rental properties to ask which county you are coming from, people in my sphere have been taking the quarantine mandate seriously.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Plat; Marriott LT Titanium
For the past few summers, I have left Florida and visited New England during August and September. This year
I had arranged to rent a condo for a month in Lincoln, NH and had planned to camp in one of Vermont’s state parks as well as in Acadia National Park in Maine. I cancelled all those plans because of the quarantines, etc. I do have a place in Asheville, NC and am heading there tomorrow for the duration of September and October.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 6:05 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Not Vermont, but here in Maine (2nd best Covid rate behind Vermont), it's been downright eerie this summer:
No Canadian tourists at all (since the border is closed - more about this below). Very, very few Massachusetts cars (since there is a 14-day quarantine requirement for visitors from all states except VT, NH, NY, CT, or NJ). Very empty highways, even during morning and afternoon rush hours.

The daughter of a good friend of mine graduated from high school this past spring. She is going to the University of New Brunswick in Canada. In order to go to college, she needed to drive from Maine to New Brunswick with a binder full of paperwork from the college to present to CBSA when crossing into Canada. Her parents can only go so far as the border and can't go into Canada with her. Then when she arrives where she's living, she needs to quarantine there for 14 days before she can even leave the building, and someone from the Canadian government will either be calling or visiting her occasionally before her 14 day quarantine is up. I'd imagine it's pretty scary stuff for an 18-year-old.

Here's the part that really stinks though - unless regulations in either Maine or Canada change, she likely won't be able to come home for Thanksgiving or Christmas because both Maine and Canada have the 14-day quarantine requirement, so she would need to quarantine for 14 days upon arriving in Maine, then quarantine for 14 days upon arriving back in Canada again. Unreal.

I 100% support the restrictions to try and keep Maine safe, but I can't help but feel awful for her and her family.
Old Sep 6, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Yes it has affected me. I had originally booked a 4 night stay at the Woodstock Inn starting on Aug 10th, but my county in NJ was that sort of orangish color on the preceding Friday, so I cancelled (fortunately without penalty). I rebooked for this past week and my county came in green so my wife and I did go (unfortunately our rate was higher at the Woodstock Inn than my first booking, but probably still far below what it might have been at this time last year).

I had to read and sign a form online prior to my stay that I understood the VT quarantine rules, but I imagine there are those that simply lie. No further checks from staff on arrival. Fair number of questionable license plates in the parking lot (although I suppose they could have done a 14 day quarantine... ).

Our stay at the Woodstock Inn was very enjoyable and all staff and guests pretty much followed all the rules. Due to max 50% occupancy resort was very relaxed feeling. Indoor dining was available and table placement was very very well spaced.
Old Sep 8, 2020, 3:51 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
We have had to move two Maine trips this summer to Cape Cod. Saved on gas, but missed the wide open spaces and lobster rolls of Maine
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:44 pm

I'm hoping to come skiing in VT for the weekend from NY and I believe all visitors need to quarantine for 14 days. https://www.healthvermont.gov/covid-...ling-out-state seems to suggest I can quarantine in NY for 14 days prior to coming to VT in a personal vehicle. I just wanted to check if my understanding is correct? I'll be driving a car with an out of state license plate am I more likely to be stopped? And does the hotel care if I leave my room during the day?
Old Nov 19, 2020, 6:23 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That out of state quarantining option seems to me to be for Vermonters leaving the state for awhile, not for visitors. Visitors have to quarantine upon arrival for 14 days. And yes, if you are under quarantining the hotel and everyone who works there and nearby will "care" if you leave your room and potentially spread disease.

There are reasons for these rules. This is a terrible time to be traveling. Skip the ski trip, stay home, be safe. Come next year.
andrewstahl and Jon Maiman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.