Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

SFO--> Acadia via BOS or PWM?? Need advice from locals

SFO--> Acadia via BOS or PWM?? Need advice from locals

Old Jan 13, 20, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by StAugustine View Post
Stay away from BOS at all costs. Holiday traffic around Boston starts on Thursday, and with lots of people going to the NH and Southern Maine beach areas it will be creep and beep until Ogunqiut. If you don't want to try flying to Bar Harbor, fly into Portland, stay the night, have dinner and head out early the next morning. Be aware that it is still a 3-hour drive from Portland to the Bar Harbor area.
I have been driving a very long time in many areas of the country and have never heard "creep and beep". We loved it.

And although I was not the one in favor of the idea, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like landing at SFO, at rush hour on the Thursday of Memorial Day weekend, and heading an hour away for a "leisurely" drive along the cute small towns on Rt. 29 in the Napa Valley. In other words, an outdated romantic, and sadly ridiculous idea!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jan 18, 20, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by mstraveler View Post
I have been driving a very long time in many areas of the country and have never heard "creep and beep". We loved it.

And although I was not the one in favor of the idea, the more I thought about it, the more it seemed like landing at SFO, at rush hour on the Thursday of Memorial Day weekend, and heading an hour away for a "leisurely" drive along the cute small towns on Rt. 29 in the Napa Valley. In other words, an outdated romantic, and sadly ridiculous idea!
For the drive from Portland to Acadia, I'd recommend 295 North from Portland to 95 south of Augusta to 3 to 1 to Ellsworth. Belfast to Bucksport is scenic, especially with the new bridge over the Penobscot. Route 1 south of Belfast is likely to not be fun (made that mistake before).
Old Jan 18, 20, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Make sure that you have solid travel insurance. There are no alternatives on F9 and it does not have interline agreements with any other carrier. On that weekend, flights into PWM will be oversold, so any IRROPS means a fairly expensive reroute to somewhere.
I suggest that the OP investigate whether the coverage offered by Freebird covers connecting-flight itineraries. The travel Insurance offered by some high-end credit cards does not cover the cost of booking new, last-minute flights; Freebird does:

https://www.getfreebird.com/travelers/

Search this Thread
Search Engine: