Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Restaurant and scenic drive recommendations for Keene NH area

Old Oct 8, 19, 7:50 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite

Restaurant recommendations in or within an hour of Keene? Especially interested in seafood (I am craving a Connecticut-style lobster roll); don't need high-end restaurants just good food.

And 1-3 hour scenic drives with Keene as the starting point?

TIA!
Old Oct 9, 19, 9:53 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Don't know about food recommendations in that area, sorry.

For driving, you can't go wrong with just driving up I-93 to Franconia Notch. Or take I-93 to Lincoln and drive east on Route 112 (Kancamagus Highway). I prefer "The Kanc", but beautiful scenery either way with plenty of opportunities to pull off the road and take it in.
Old Oct 9, 19, 4:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Thank you. Sounds great.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:41 am

Programs: DL MM, Plat; Marriott LT Plat
Near Keene is Mount Monadnock, a fairly easy mountain to hike on. There is also a working dairy farm called Stonewell Farm. If you are going to take a drive to the White Mountains, the Kanc(Rt 112) is beautiful. I would do it in one direction and 93 in the other. East of Lincoln on the Kanc is Lincoln Woods Trail, an absolutely beautiful but easy hike along the Pemigewasset River. When I was in Lincoln for a couple of weeks this summer, I noticed a restaurant with a sign saying they been voted as having great lobster rolls. I never got a chance to try it but it is on the west side of Main Street as you drive through town. If you get that far north, go a little further to Franconia Notch. You are near Vermont in Keene. If you’re a cheese lover, Grafton Village Cheese Company and Parish Hill Creamery are not that far. The Four Columns Inn is an excellent restaurant about 12 miles north of Brattleboro. If you want to head to New Hamshire’s shore area from Keene, there is a Sanders Fish Market in Portsmouth that has a wonderful lobster roll. Not CT style but still one of the best I have ever had, along with excellent Clam Chowder. NH is a beautiful state. You will find lots to do.
cblaisd and hhdl like this.
Old Oct 10, 19, 6:42 am

I meant east of the Kanc for the Lincoln Woods Trail. It is just a couple of miles south of Lincoln.
Old Oct 10, 19, 7:37 am

The place for lobster rolls in Lincoln is called The Purple Moon. As I said, I did not get to it. The Common Man restaurant in Lincoln has decent food. Here is an article on NH lobster rolls. https://www.wmur.com/article/viewers...NNyvxvD8qhdiA#
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by dlffla View Post
Near Keene is Mount Monadnock, a fairly easy mountain to hike on. There is also a working dairy farm called Stonewell Farm. If you are going to take a drive to the White Mountains, the Kanc(Rt 112) is beautiful. I would do it in one direction and 93 in the other. East of Lincoln on the Kanc is Lincoln Woods Trail, an absolutely beautiful but easy hike along the Pemigewasset River. When I was in Lincoln for a couple of weeks this summer, I noticed a restaurant with a sign saying they been voted as having great lobster rolls. I never got a chance to try it but it is on the west side of Main Street as you drive through town. If you get that far north, go a little further to Franconia Notch. You are near Vermont in Keene. If you’re a cheese lover, Grafton Village Cheese Company and Parish Hill Creamery are not that far. The Four Columns Inn is an excellent restaurant about 12 miles north of Brattleboro. If you want to head to New Hamshire’s shore area from Keene, there is a Sanders Fish Market in Portsmouth that has a wonderful lobster roll. Not CT style but still one of the best I have ever had, along with excellent Clam Chowder. NH is a beautiful state. You will find lots to do.
I'd also add that the Mohawk Trail region in MA is nearby (basically MA Route 2 from Gardner to North Adams). Greenfield (intersection between 2 and I-91) has better independent shops, restaurants, and beer/cider (especially if your tastes run more British-inspired than German or West Coast) than most places its size.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: