Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

BOS departure on Marathon day?

Old Oct 3, 19, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

We're planning a TATL trip on an IB award, and see that one date we were considering is Patriots' Day with the Marathon, 4-20-20. Would this be a date to avoid, or would we not feel much effect? We'd be taking the Dartmouth Coach, which stops at South Station first, getting to the airport in the 2 p.m. hour; from what I see the bus route wouldn't cross the race route.
Old Oct 4, 19, 4:17 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
As long as you don't need to cross the route you will have no issues. It will likely be quieter at the airport at 2PM on that monday than on a non-holiday, too.

The marathon does shut down a few roads that cross I-95/Route 128, which can slow traffic on that road as well, so not sure where you are coming from prior to South Station and if you might be affected
Old Oct 4, 19, 6:54 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Agreed. Patriots' Day is a holiday in Massachusetts, so traffic tends to be a lot lighter than usual for a Monday, as long as you're not crossing the race route.
Old Oct 4, 19, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I agree that there shouldn't be a problem between South Station and the airport, as both are well east of the marathon route, and that the airport itself will be unaffected. However, where are you leaving from before the South Station stop?
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The issue is not South Station & BOS, but rather how OP or the bus gets to South Station.

The reality is that it is way, way too early to consider what traffic restrictions may be put in place for the Marathon, as those vary from year to year.
Old Oct 4, 19, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Thanks, the bus would be coming in on I-93 from New Hampshire.
Old Oct 4, 19, 11:43 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Then you'll be fine. I-93 to South Station to Logan Airport stays either north or east of the marathon route at all times.
Old Oct 4, 19, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
... The reality is that it is way, way too early to consider what traffic restrictions may be put in place for the Marathon, as those vary from year to year.
Whatever restrictions there are will be in the vicinity of the route. It hasn't changed much since 1897, though the quality of the running surface has improved and the likelihood of having to wait for a freight train to cross it* has gone way down.

Originally Posted by rove312 View Post
Thanks, the bus would be coming in on I-93 from New Hampshire.
Hence my earlier question; that is, as Often1 posted, the key issue. No worries. Your bus will stay on the Interstate until the South Station exit. That's about a mile from the closest point on the race course - the finish line.

*If you're not familiar with the story, look up Tom Longboat's victory in 1907. More recently, a freight train that crossed the course of the Lehigh Valley Marathon in 2016 kept several runners from having Boston Marathon qualifying times.

Last edited by Efrem; Oct 5, 19 at 4:31 am Reason: Felt like a bit of rephrasing.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: