Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation in Boston for seniors on a vacation

Old Sep 12, 19, 1:35 am
Original Poster

I'm looking for a hotel for my parents (65+) in Boston during May/June 2020. I do know Boston quite well because I used to live there for a year or two but I've never stayed in a hotel in the area.

Profile:
- Parents like modern/newish upscale and upper upscale properties but are price sensitive.
- Hotel's location should be close to the T.
- Hotel doesn't need to be super-central. But it shouldn't take a 20+ min T ride to get to Park St/the city center, either.
- They have nothing really much in terms of hotel status except for credit card HH Gold and Marriott Gold.
- They're open to both chain as well as non-chain options.

At this point, most hotels I've checked out are USD 400+ for their dates. I'm not gonna make a prepaid booking for them at this point. I'm merely looking for suitable hotels to have on my radar. (I intend to make a flex booking soon. Then, I'll keep looking for sales and rebook if something comes up.)

Last edited by speed.skater; Sep 12, 19 at 9:44 am Reason: fixed date
Old Sep 12, 19, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
I’ve have several good recent stays at the Hotel Commonwealth, in Kenmore Square, which during not Red Sox periods is often very reasonably priced. It’s a very comfortable modern hotel, is directly next to the Kenmore Green Line stop, and has two excellent restaurants: Eastern Standard and Island Creek Oyster Bar.

By the way, I assume you mean 2020 in your post.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 6:18 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It helps if you have exact dates, but I agree with the Hotel Commonwealth being new-ish and close to the T. Their plans seem to be during College Graduation Season, so prices will be high throughout the city
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:05 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I've heard amazing things about Yotel in the Seaport area, and if I remember correctly I believe there's a Silver Line stop practically right outside the door. That seems to check all the boxes you listed except I don't know how their rates are for that time period.

Edit to add: Another option might be to do Priceline's Express Deals or Hotwire for something 3* or above. Any of the downtown areas on either of those sites should put you very close to a T stop.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin could be a good compromise. It's modern and relatively upscale, and in a very good location, but should be less expensive that the RC (which is in a less good location). The Colonnade (about a block down the street from the Westin) is somewhat smaller and less modern, but I've had good stays there. The Four Seasons would be more upscale, but not particularly modern.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
I've heard amazing things about Yotel in the Seaport area, and if I remember correctly I believe there's a Silver Line stop practically right outside the door. That seems to check all the boxes you listed except I don't know how their rates are for that time period.

Edit to add: Another option might be to do Priceline's Express Deals or Hotwire for something 3* or above. Any of the downtown areas on either of those sites should put you very close to a T stop.
Yotel doesn’t check the “upscale and upper upscale” box, does it?
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
The Westin could be a good compromise. It's modern and relatively upscale, and in a very good location, but should be less expensive that the RC (which is in a less good location). The Colonnade (about a block down the street from the Westin) is somewhat smaller and less modern, but I've had good stays there. The Four Seasons would be more upscale, but not particularly modern.
I suspect the Four Seasons will be very expensive. The Westin and the Colonnade typically are more expensive than the Commonwealth due to their location — Copley Square is considered to be more desirable than Kenmore Square— but I find the Commonwealth to be a much nicer hotel than either of those. All three are decent options, but unless there’s a strong desire to be in Copley Square rather than Kenmore Square, I’d choose the Commonwealth every time.
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:29 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
Whoops, I must have missed those in the OP. You're probably correct, I don't recall it being labeled "upscale".
Old Sep 12, 19, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Whoops, I must have missed those in the OP. You're probably correct, I don't recall it being labeled "upscale".
I’m not entirely sure, but I think it’s a budget option.
Old Sep 12, 19, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks all for the replies. Have taken note of the Commonwealth which was suggested multiple times. Will also keep checking prices for Westin and Colonnade. I think my parents would accept the Yotel for one night. But they plan on spending three nights and they'd probably find the room a bit too small and basic for a longer stay.

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
It helps if you have exact date
Sorry, I don't want to give the exact date. I do understand it would help. But I'm already disclosing quite a bit of personal information ITT and I'm a bit of a privacy nut.

It seems in addition to it being graduation season, there is a medium-to-large conference/congress/event in town with several thousand participants. (I don't want to name it to keep this semi-anonymous.)

The three suggestions Commonwealth, Westin, and Colonnade are all in the USD 480-700 range for the date in question.**

Due to rates being elevated even considering it's Boston, I'm thinking of buying Hilton, Hyatt, or IHG points during a points sale and getting them on an award stay.

--

** Not price-optimized. Expedia.com rates without tax. The Commonwealth and the Colonnade are towards the lower end of that range.

Last edited by speed.skater; Sep 12, 19 at 10:20 am
Old Sep 13, 19, 10:54 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Probably not what you had in mind and probably not the best in terms of being near the action, but thought I would throw this out there as an option as it checks off some of your boxes and could be an alternative to consider from a price perspective... They just opened two new hotels (connected to one another - I think one is a Holiday Inn Express and one a Staybridge Suites) in North Quincy, MA that are about a block from the North Quincy T station on the red line. Assuming the red line issues of late are resolved, I think it would be under or right at 20 minutes to get to Park Street (less to South Station or Downtown Crossing). Probably further out than you wanted and not the most exciting in terms of the immediate area, but could be something to consider if nothing else works out. If it was me, I would prefer something in the city, but maybe your parents would be ok with it.
Old Sep 13, 19, 11:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by speed.skater View Post
Thanks all for the replies. Have taken note of the Commonwealth which was suggested multiple times. Will also keep checking prices for Westin and Colonnade. I think my parents would accept the Yotel for one night. But they plan on spending three nights and they'd probably find the room a bit too small and basic for a longer stay.

Sorry, I don't want to give the exact date. I do understand it would help. But I'm already disclosing quite a bit of personal information ITT and I'm a bit of a privacy nut.

It seems in addition to it being graduation season, there is a medium-to-large conference/congress/event in town with several thousand participants. (I don't want to name it to keep this semi-anonymous.)

The three suggestions Commonwealth, Westin, and Colonnade are all in the USD 480-700 range for the date in question.**

Due to rates being elevated even considering it's Boston, I'm thinking of buying Hilton, Hyatt, or IHG points during a points sale and getting them on an award stay.

--

** Not price-optimized. Expedia.com rates without tax. The Commonwealth and the Colonnade are towards the lower end of that range.
A lot of big conventions in Boston are centered around the Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton, which are all connected, with the Colonnade being a good choice for the overflow.

Another idea for a well located hotel (IIRC almost on top of a subway station) is the Lenox, which is a nice probably three and a half or four star boutique hotel. I didn't mention it earlier because it's more traditional in style.

If there's a big convention with high prices and bad availability, maybe you should look in different neighborhoods if the dates can't be changed. The Hyatt across the river in Cambridge isn't bad but it's not near a subway. There's a LM that emphasizes modern art between MIT and Harvard that people seem to like. There's a nice independent hotel that's fairly modern near between Harvard and the river, but I don't know how recently it's been renovated. On the other side of the MIT campus, there's a big Marriott (almost like a convention hotel), a RI, a boutque hotel in an old firehouse (with quilts, etc. so definitely not modern), and some other choices. There are some nice hotels in more historic areas of Boston, but they wouldn't be modern.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 14, 19, 10:05 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
My wife, daughter, and I stayed at The Kimpton Nine Zero Hotel near Boston Common last summer during our vacation. It is a nice upscale boutique hotel. They were renovating the inhouse restaurant when we were there and it should be open again now. It is also very close to multiple T stations. We mainly walked to attractions; however, for seniors the T and or Uber/Lyft might be a better option. Without specific dates, I have no idea what the rate will be compared to what you saw for the other hotels. Kimpton is now part of IHG and we used IHG points to pay for our stay. Rooms are very spacious for a city location and the bathroom was also nice. There are also a couple of other Kimpton properties in Boston. We chose the Nine Zero based on location and that they had two queen bed rooms which is critical for us. Assuming your parents just need a king room, Kimpton Onyx might be another good choice near a few T stations.

--Jon
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 16, 19, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
I've heard amazing things about Yotel in the Seaport area, and if I remember correctly I believe there's a Silver Line stop practically right outside the door. That seems to check all the boxes you listed except I don't know how their rates are for that time period...
I’m not entirely sure, but I think it’s a budget option.
However, if your folks are into memory foam mattresses, it may be the only game in town. And they might be willing to put up with a tiny, slightly quirky, room to get one. It does, after all, check the other boxes.
speed.skater likes this.
Old Sep 19, 19, 9:32 pm

Programs: AAPLT 2MM, SPG GLD, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
I really like The Liberty Hotel, it's been my go-to place to stay in Boston my last four or five visits. I grew up in the Boston area, been gone for years but still visit every couple years.

The Liberty is the site of the old Charles Street Jail, at the base of Beacon Hill, and would seem to check all your boxes, if maybe on the pricey side. I've never paid with cash to stay there, but it is part of Marriott now, having formerly been part of Starwood's Luxury Collection. Charles/MGH Red Line Station is across the street, and it allows fairly easy walking access to Beacon Hill and Back Bay.

It's a beautiful quirky modern hotel and if you can get booked into one of the "jail" rooms that's a bonus. They built an adjoining tower next to the original property, which is still nice but a little more generic than the original building. Last time I stayed there, (two years ago) there was a Lydia Shire restaurant in the lobby, and the breakfast restaurant was pretty good, too.
speed.skater likes this.

Search this Thread