Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Hotel recommendation in Boston for seniors on a vacation

Hotel recommendation in Boston for seniors on a vacation

Old Sep 22, 19, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by NotDuncan View Post
I really like The Liberty Hotel, it's been my go-to place to stay in Boston my last four or five visits. I grew up in the Boston area, been gone for years but still visit every couple years.

The Liberty is the site of the old Charles Street Jail, at the base of Beacon Hill, and would seem to check all your boxes, if maybe on the pricey side. I've never paid with cash to stay there, but it is part of Marriott now, having formerly been part of Starwood's Luxury Collection. Charles/MGH Red Line Station is across the street, and it allows fairly easy walking access to Beacon Hill and Back Bay.

It's a beautiful quirky modern hotel and if you can get booked into one of the "jail" rooms that's a bonus. They built an adjoining tower next to the original property, which is still nice but a little more generic than the original building. Last time I stayed there, (two years ago) there was a Lydia Shire restaurant in the lobby, and the breakfast restaurant was pretty good, too.
I've stayed at the Liberty on two or three occasions recently and reiterate this recommendation. Some might view the location as a bit out of the way, but that's really not the case. As noted, it's right across the street from the Charles/MGH Red Line station, and at the base of Charles Street, a beautiful walk along which leads one directly to the Boston Common/Boston Public Garden. Also, due to its proximity to Sturrow Drive, it's a fast and easy ride to Logan Airport from there.
Old Sep 27, 19, 8:24 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*
It's Boston....hotels are always expensive!
Old Sep 28, 19, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by DavidDTW View Post
It's Boston....hotels are always expensive!
There are strategies one can use to keep costs down. The OP has chosen not to share specifics, which makes it difficult to provide precise recommendations, but I routinely get hotels in Boston in the low $200s, which may be expensive by some standards but certainly not by Boston standards.
Old Sep 28, 19, 7:15 pm

Programs: AAPLT 2MM, SPG GLD, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
There are strategies one can use to keep costs down. The OP has chosen not to share specifics, which makes it difficult to provide precise recommendations, but I routinely get hotels in Boston in the low $200s, which may be expensive by some standards but certainly not by Boston standards.
I think I've read you recommend Hotwire in the past. I haven't used it personally, but I have had good luck with Priceline's Name Your Own Price for Boston hotels. I used to routinely get the Hyatt Downtown Crossing in the $100-$150 range.

It helps if you're already familiar with the area you're looking to book, but for Boston specifically, I'd say if you select Back Bay, Financial District or even Seaport if you're willing to be that far away from the center of town, you should be able to find a 4 star hotel in the low $200 range.

Nowadays I earn more Bonvoy points from cc spend, than I know what to do with, so I rarely if ever pay cash for hotels. If you are on a budget and not brand loyal, online travel sites can bring some real bargains.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: