FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Long Weekend Late Summer - MV or Portland, ME? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1978191-long-weekend-late-summer-mv-portland-me.html)

gumercindo Jul 15, 2019 11:16 am

Long Weekend Late Summer - MV or Portland, ME?

Would like to make a quick getaway end of summer with my wife and toddler. We are considering Martha’s Vineyard or Portland Maine. We enjoy good food, strolling in nice areas and just enjoying the local scene. We are flying from the DC area and ideally, we wouldn’t have to rent a car but it’s not a dealbreaker. Thoughts b/w the two? This would be for late August. TIA!

Yahtzee Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am

You really can’t go wrong either way. If you like minor league baseball, the Portland Sea Dogs might still be playing. Good for a toddler.

Blumie Jul 22, 2019 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Yahtzee (Post 31320801)
You really can’t go wrong either way. If you like minor league baseball, the Portland Sea Dogs might still be playing. Good for a toddler.

I agree. It's also late to be making these arrangements, so it may be the case that the decision will be made for you based on what's available. I would research both, and choose based on the best available option.

Efrem Jul 23, 2019 2:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Martha's Vineyard, spent many weekends and longer there, have friends who live there year-round, used to walk* from home to the New Bedford fast ferry, yadda yadda - but in your situation I'd go for Portland if suitable accommodations are available. Everything is more in one place, so better for walking around with a toddler; a lot of the food is right there too; and better air service.

(I hope you don't need this, but we did last year: the Maine Medical Center in Portland is way better than MV Hospital.)

wds17 Jul 24, 2019 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31305900)
Would like to make a quick getaway end of summer with my wife and toddler. We are considering Martha’s Vineyard or Portland Maine. We enjoy good food, strolling in nice areas and just enjoying the local scene. We are flying from the DC area and ideally, we wouldn’t have to rent a car but it’s not a dealbreaker. Thoughts b/w the two? This would be for late August. TIA!

What about Nantucket? Better flights - B6 nonstop DCA to ACK. More food options vs MV.

gumercindo Jul 29, 2019 7:50 am

Originally Posted by wds17 (Post 31338180)
What about Nantucket? Better flights - B6 nonstop DCA to ACK. More food options vs MV.

Hmm, interesting. I had the impression that Nantucket had a much slower vibe but maybe I'm misinformed? Portland still beats both in terms of redeemable accomodations. Thanks for the reply, though!

wds17 Jul 29, 2019 8:06 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31354274)
Hmm, interesting. I had the impression that Nantucket had a much slower vibe but maybe I'm misinformed? Portland still beats both in terms of redeemable accomodations. Thanks for the reply, though!

No it is the opposite - with Nantucket being livelier than MV.

Portland is certainly cheaper for accommodations but you also have to navigate the crusty old Mainers who hate tourists and outsiders yet depend on tourism dollars for their income.

gumercindo Jul 29, 2019 11:03 am

Originally Posted by wds17 (Post 31354330)
No it is the opposite - with Nantucket being livelier than MV.

Portland is certainly cheaper for accommodations but you also have to navigate the crusty old Mainers who hate tourists and outsiders yet depend on tourism dollars for their income.

got it, thanks. Any redemptions availability or is it all airbnb/B&Bs?

dlffla Jul 30, 2019 6:07 am

Originally Posted by gumercindo (Post 31355147)
got it, thanks. Any redemptions availability or is it all airbnb/B&Bs?

Portland has Marriott as well as other chains. I think Portland is a great choice but there will be hordes of tourists. They are more difficult to navigate than “crusty old Mainers”. 😊 But you will find lots of tourists in both places.

PsiFighter37 Jul 31, 2019 4:35 pm

I would pick Martha's Vineyard, only because I have not been there. PWM is a fun little town to go to for the weekend. I would caution that hotel prices are likely going to be high, though - even on the lower-end chains. My rationale has been if you're going to spend a lot of money, might as well spend a little more and stay somewhere really nice. I would recommend that Press Hotel (Autograph Collection) - fantastic place to stay.

PWMTrav Aug 7, 2019 2:24 pm

I'm biased, but I'd go to Portland. Hands down the best food of any of the places mentioned, and your kids will be fine joining you just about anywhere in the Old Port. The peninsula itself is fairly compact and very walkable with strollers.

navi_jen Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Interesting mix. MV is going to have more of a cute island vibe, lots of Victorian architecture and hordes of tourists, good food.Much more of a vacation-y vibe...rent a car or shuttle goregous views at every turn. Portland, a bit more brick/stolic architecture (think Georgetown rowhouse), more funky vibe, much more a working port city (than island getaway) that also has a lot of stellar restaurants.

Really depends, IMHO, on the vibe you are looking for. If you can relax in a city, Portland is awesome. Me, I like the island vibe, helps me wind down.

My $.02

StAugustine Aug 18, 2019 3:30 pm

If you choose Portland try Boone's Fish House. Good food and on the water.