JFK to CT transport

Old Jul 8, 19, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
JFK to CT transport

Once a year I fly from Cyprus to the US to visit my family in CT. The only transport company (for a shared ride) that have found is Go CT shuttle. Their service is horrendous and I'd really like to find another option that is reasonably priced. any suggestions?
Old Jul 8, 19, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Where in Connecticut?
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
If your destination is near the shore and no further than New Haven, perhaps the airport bus to Grand Central Terminal and a MetroNorth train from there. Amtrak, which provides the only train service past New Haven, is a lot more expensive. (Amtrak is also fancier, 4 across seating rather than 5 because it's basically a long-distance train rather than commuter rail, but IMHO not worth the price difference for a short ride.) Perhaps your family can pick you up at the nearest station.
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Connecticut is a large state with multiple options. Where exactly are you headed and where might your family meet you?
Old Jul 9, 19, 10:12 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
If your destination is near the shore and no further than New Haven, perhaps the airport bus to Grand Central Terminal and a MetroNorth train from there. Amtrak, which provides the only train service past New Haven, is a lot more expensive. (Amtrak is also fancier, 4 across seating rather than 5 because it's basically a long-distance train rather than commuter rail, but IMHO not worth the price difference for a short ride.) Perhaps your family can pick you up at the nearest station.
Minor correction but there's commuter rail service beyond New Haven as well — Shore Line East goes as far as New London while the Springfield Line goes to Hartford and Springfield MA.

Also don't be too quick to dismiss Amtrak — if you book early enough it's actually a reasonable option — saver coach NYP-NHV is $35 one-way and a more pleasant experience than Metro-North. And getting to Penn Station from JFK (Airtrain to Jamaica and LIRR) is easier than getting to GCT IMO.

(Lived in New Haven for ~4 years and flew out of JFK/EWR pretty regularly, abhor CT Limo and thus too familiar with public transportation options, including the Airtrain to Jamaica - E Train to 53/Lex - 4 Train to GCT - Metro-North to New Haven option after coming off 22 hours in Y from SIN — probably the cheapest way to get to CT but would not recommend)
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jul 10, 19, 12:47 am

Programs: NZ *G
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Connecticut is a large state with multiple options. Where exactly are you headed and where might your family meet you?

Old Jul 12, 19, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
A large state, no, but if the OP is headed to the Hartford area or the southeastern part of the state, it can easily be a 2-3 hour drive from JFK. My car service charges $275 one way between Hartford County and JFK. About $2.75 per mile.

Another option for the OP to consider is renting a car at JFK and driving. It should cost you less than $100 and the rental car facility is relatively easy to access from the terminals via the Air Train.
Old Jul 12, 19, 6:01 am
Original Poster

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Sorry, West Haven.

I've considered the train option, but did not consider Amtrak. Coming from JFK to CT by train may be an option, but the return could be problematic as I usually have 3 checked bags plus 2 carry-ons.

Not too keen on hiring a car. Don't want to drive n NYC traffic after a long tiring international flight as I haven't driven a left-hand drive car in almost 10 years and I feel that driving in NY traffic is not the best place to return to driving a left-hand drive car.
Old Jul 12, 19, 10:30 am

Programs: OZ Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by STBCypriot View Post
Sorry, West Haven.

I've considered the train option, but did not consider Amtrak. Coming from JFK to CT by train may be an option, but the return could be problematic as I usually have 3 checked bags plus 2 carry-ons.

Not too keen on hiring a car. Don't want to drive n NYC traffic after a long tiring international flight as I haven't driven a left-hand drive car in almost 10 years and I feel that driving in NY traffic is not the best place to return to driving a left-hand drive car.
If you don't mind dealing with Penn Station then the airport bus to Penn and Amtrak to New Haven is probably your best bet the bus can take your bags and there's plenty of luggage space on Amtrak at the end of each train car.
Old Jul 15, 19, 7:07 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Amtrak has no luggage limitations. Perhaps on their website but not in actuality.
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Amtrak has no luggage limitations. Perhaps on their website but not in actuality.
Not only are the baggage restrictions not enforced, but at those stations where they provide red cap service, the red caps will be more than happy to help with all of your bags in return for an appropriate tip.
Old Jul 15, 19, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duplicate

Search this Thread