Wiki Posts
Search

Best Public Transport Option: Amtrak to Logan

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2019, 3:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Best Public Transport Option: Amtrak to Logan

I'm flying out of BOS this coming Wednesday at 5:30pm on IB (Term E). I typically take an Uber from my home directly to the airport, but I'm changing things up this time and taking public transport instead.

I'll be taking the Acela into the city and arriving at either Back Bay or South Station around 2PM; either stop is equally convenient. What's my best public transport option for getting from there to the airport? I'll be alone with no luggage; stairs and walking are fine and I don't mind multiple transfers.

The main options as I understand them:

From Back Bay
1. Take the T ($2.75): Orange Line -> Blue Line. Get off Airport Station and take shuttle bus to terminal.
2. Logan Express ($3): Direct bus from Back Bay to Logan via Mass Pike.

From South Station
3. Silver Line ($2.75): SL1 direct to Logan via Ted Williams Tunnel.
4. Take the T ($2.75): Red Line -> Orange Line -> Blue Line. Get off Airport Station and take shuttle bus to terminal.
5. Water Taxi ($15)*: Walk to Atlantic Wharf Dock -> boat to Logan Ferry Terminal -> Bus 66 to terminal.

I'm currently leaning toward Option 1, primarily because it should be the most reliable route (least affected by traffic). I'm a bit wary of the SL1, as traffic in the Ted Williams Tunnel can be pretty nasty. Looking for suggestions from folks who are more familiar with these various options.
Old May 19, 2019, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
South Station to Silver Line assuming you arrive at 2:00 as planned. If train is late and you're closer to 3:30, then maybe a non-silver line option.
Old May 19, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by swingaling
From Back Bay
2. Logan Express ($3): Direct bus from Back Bay to Logan via Mass Pike.
This is the option I'd take. I'd pick this over the SL1 because you'll reach Back Bay first on the Acela and, unlike the SL1, the Logan Express bus doesn't make any stops on the way to the airport. And while traffic can be slow in the Ted Williams tunnel, it's not so slow that the Orange Line-Blue Line-airport shuttle bus route would be significantly faster than the nonstop bus.
will2288 likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:41 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
That Logan Express also lets you "skip the line" at security, if you don't have Global Entry or Pre-check already
Old May 20, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
I'll second the SL1 in this case if your Acela is on time (or even up to 30-35 minutes late) Very short transfer from Acela to Silver Line at South Station (walk into station and down the escalator). Unless traffic is at a standstill in the Ted Williams (which can happen, but you could check Google Maps before the train arrives at Back Bay), it's unlikely to save any time with the other options. If it's raining you also don't have to go outside for this Amtrak to SL1 connection at South Station.

Getting to the Logan Express pickup at Hynes is probably an 8-10 minute walk from Back Bay Station, but then the shuttle also has to backtrack west on the MassPike before going east as well (long story about that...).
Old May 20, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by octr202
Getting to the Logan Express pickup at Hynes is probably an 8-10 minute walk from Back Bay Station, but then the shuttle also has to backtrack west on the MassPike before going east as well (long story about that...).
Not any more. It's a recent change; the Logan Express bus now stops directly in front of Back Bay station. And Back Bay is the last stop before it goes to the airport:

Back Bay Logan Express Information

Also, the Mass Pike U-Turn only happens from the airport to Hynes/Back Bay area. From Hynes/Back Bay to Logan, there's no such U-Turn.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
D'oh, thanks, read right past that part! That certainly does change the equation.

Also a sad indictment of the SL1 that a bus in mixed traffic the whole way will likely beat it, starting from further away from the airport.... :-/
Old May 21, 2019, 12:28 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Somewhat timely addition to this discussion: "T to ‘free the ramp’ at Ted Williams Tunnel for Silver Line"

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/05...lver-line/amp/

MBTA officials informed the joint MBTA oversight and Department of Transportation officials on Monday about the plan to start a pilot program to let T buses to zip down the state police ramp onto Interstate 90 rather than looping around and entering the Pike farther from the tunnel to East Boston, Logan International Airport and up the North Shore. The buses will do this from 3 to 6 p.m. on weekdays.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
That Logan Express also lets you "skip the line" at security, if you don't have Global Entry or Pre-check already
I don’t understand this comment. Logan Express riders get to use the priority security lane?
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Not any more. It's a recent change; the Logan Express bus now stops directly in front of Back Bay station. And Back Bay is the last stop before it goes to the airport:

Back Bay Logan Express Information

Also, the Mass Pike U-Turn only happens from the airport to Hynes/Back Bay area. From Hynes/Back Bay to Logan, there's no such U-Turn.
That’s great news. I would have recommended South Station to the Silver Line, but I think this trumps that. Note that a MBTA Charlie Card counts as a “T Pass” and thus entitles you to a substantially lower fare on the Logan Express bus.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I don’t understand this comment. Logan Express riders get to use the priority security lane?
Yes, but Back Bay Logan Express users only, at least for now.

Originally Posted by Blumie
Note that a MBTA Charlie Card counts as a “T Pass” and thus entitles you to a substantially lower fare on the Logan Express bus.
Not any more. The fare is now a flat $3 for everyone from Back Bay to Logan, payable by credit/debit card only.

These changes are all less than a month old. Here's some news coverage on them:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...wiK/story.html

And the primary source for my answers is the Back Bay Logan Express website:

Originally Posted by The Back Bay Logan Express website
Fares & Benefit
  • FREE to ride from Logan Airport to Boston
  • One-way fare from Boston to Logan Airport: $3.00 by credit/debit card only
  • Use of expedited security lane. When customers reach the security checkpoint, please present your Back Bay LEX receipt to the document checker and be directed to an expedited security lane.
Old May 22, 2019, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Yes, but Back Bay Logan Express users only, at least for now.

Not any more. The fare is now a flat $3 for everyone from Back Bay to Logan, payable by credit/debit card only.

These changes are all less than a month old. Here's some news coverage on them:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...wiK/story.html

And the primary source for my answers is the Back Bay Logan Express website:

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.