Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston Airport - general question

Old Jan 20, 19, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs

Sorry for such a general question, but have not been to New England in many years (used to live there) and am planning a trip around Labor Day. It has been probably 25 years since I flew into BOS, and I must have been truly scarred by the experience (much construction, a complete mess, took forever to get into even remotely out of the area by car etc) because I swore I would never do it again. Would be heading for Maine and could fly into Portland or Manchester NH, but involves connections, more time ..... Clearly SFO - BOS is the simplest way to go.

Is it a reasonable idea these days to fly into BOS, get a car and head up to Maine? I know it is a busy city and a busy airport, but unless I show up at 5 pm on a Friday will this make me wish I had just suffered with a connecting flight?

[Apologies Bostonians. I love your city. I spent a lot of time there but since I lived in CT I did not fly. I think there was some giant construction project messing up everything that last trip all those years ago...]
Old Jan 21, 19, 1:19 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Things have changed greatly at BOS in 25 years. The Big Dig is done, there's a new rental car center, there's a whole new Terminal A & a whole new part of Terminal B, the two largest parts of Terminal C have been connected behind security, and so on. Traffic is still nasty leaving Boston during evening rush hour, but as long as you're not leaving the airport between about 3:30 and 6:30 PM, you should have no problem flying into BOS and driving to Maine.
Old Jan 21, 19, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Things have changed greatly at BOS in 25 years. The Big Dig is done, there's a new rental car center, there's a whole new Terminal A & a whole new part of Terminal B, the two largest parts of Terminal C have been connected behind security, and so on. Traffic is still nasty leaving Boston during evening rush hour, but as long as you're not leaving the airport between about 3:30 and 6:30 PM, you should have no problem flying into BOS and driving to Maine.
Thanks LoganFlyer. And yes, The Big Dig was it! I knew there was a name for the mess that was Logan in those days but couldn't remember it. And although I figured that particular construction was over, some airports seem to just be a perpetual mess/extremely difficult. And there aren't any airports I can think of that don't have a lot of traffic 3:30-6:30. Helpful for planning; connecting flights are to be avoided at almost any cost and I am blessed to live 15 minutes from SFO and non-stop flights all over the world.
Old Jan 21, 19, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
If you can afford it, splurge for JetBlue’s Mint service when flying SFO-BOS.
Old Jan 21, 19, 12:54 pm

If you can avoid rush hour, with the Big Dig complete, getting a car and heading up to Maine is fine. What's your route? Is this a leisure trip? If it were me, I would start my "coastal" road somewhere on Cape Ann/Northshore Mass.. So, heading up 95/128 towards Salem Mass area and north to Maine from there. Cape Ann, to Portsmouth NH to Southern Maine.
Much nicer to do in summer than winter!!
Old Jan 21, 19, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips. Leisure trip and Cape Ann looks like just the right distance. After flying across the country, or even the 6 hour flight to Hawaii, I try not to sign myself up to do much more. Flying is too much of a hassle already! (And will look into JetBlue Mint - had forgotten about it.)

Search this Thread