Wiki Posts
Search

Driving: JFK to Providence, return

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Driving: JFK to Providence, return

Not too sure to post here or in NYC thread. Mod, please move if deems necessary. Thanks.Tuesday noon time driving from Hertz Rent Car JFK to downtown Providence, RI. I am not in a hurry. Please advise of best routes and traffic congestion to watch out for (I prefer country road with small town stops). From a 9 years old thread, I noted a couple of eating places in CT: Lenny & Joe’s, and Lobster Landing. Are they still around (map says so). Any other other recommendations, how about in RI?On the return from Providence to JFK, I have to catch a flight at 8:00PM on Friday. I am concerned about city traffic. Welcome recommendation for early dinner somewhere along the way (seafood please!). How much time should I allow for the drive, and what possible traffic jams should I expect on Friday evening?Thank you for your advice and suggestions.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:49 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Noon is a good time to go. You aren't going thru Manhattan anyway, so no worries about city traffic.

Google Maps says fastest route to downtown Providence is 3 hours, which is I-95 all the way. If you want to stop to eat, those two places are fine, but you will be there more for lunch than for dinner.

If you want a more leisurely drive, Route 1 parallels I-95 and is very pretty in some parts, and very commercial in others, with tons of stop lights and town centers, etc. You will see beaches on that route, as well.

Heading back to JFK you will hit traffic on a Friday for sure
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Noon is a good time to go. You aren't going thru Manhattan anyway, so no worries about city traffic.

Google Maps says fastest route to downtown Providence is 3 hours, which is I-95 all the way. If you want to stop to eat, those two places are fine, but you will be there more for lunch than for dinner.

If you want a more leisurely drive, Route 1 parallels I-95 and is very pretty in some parts, and very commercial in others, with tons of stop lights and town centers, etc. You will see beaches on that route, as well.

Heading back to JFK you will hit traffic on a Friday for sure
Thanks for your insight. I do intent to drive part of Route 1.
Any place for dinner that you & others might recommend?

About Friday traffic (toward JFK), how should I budget driving time, 3 hours or 5 hours?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Lenny & Joe's is a good option for lunch. You'll get there in about 90 minutes from JFK if you stay on I-95, and it's an easy hop off and back onto the highway.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 3:33 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Going to JFK I'd allow as much time as you have. Better to be 3 hours early than 5 minutes late
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Have you considered taking the train? It’s a beautiful ride up the coast, much prettier and more relaxing than driving.
Analise likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Going to JFK I'd allow as much time as you have. Better to be 3 hours early than 5 minutes late
That's what I figure!
Thz.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 11:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie
Have you considered taking the train? It’s a beautiful ride up the coast, much prettier and more relaxing than driving.
No, I have not thought of taking the train. I thought the logistics would be a nightmare. That said, I love train travel. Could you please let me know the logistic and time involved.

I did a quick look at AMTRAK, but then how do I manage NYC to JFK bit? I do have one luggage on roller & 1 backpack.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by allset2travel
No, I have not thought of taking the train. I thought the logistics would be a nightmare. That said, I love train travel. Could you please let me know the logistic and time involved.

I did a quick look at AMTRAK, but then how do I manage NYC to JFK bit? I do have one luggage on roller & 1 backpack.
The logistics are pretty easy.

You take the AirTrain (the same train you’d take to get to the car rental facility) to Jamaica Station (about a 10-minute ride; note that there are two trains, one to Jamaica Station and one to Howard Beach, so listen for the announcements to make sure you board the correct train). At Jamaica Station you will need to pay $5 to exit the facility. If you plan to do the same trip in reverse, buy a $10 metrocard from the machine and save the card for your return.

At Jamaica Station, follow the signs to LIRR (Long Island Railroad). After going through the glass doors to the mezzanine level above the tracks, use a ticket machine to purchase an off-peak ticket to Penn Station. (Again you can purchase a round-trip ticket if doing the same trip in reverse on your return). Most times of the day, trains run every 10 to 15 minutes to Penn Station. The trains to Penn Station depart from Track 1.

Once at Penn Station, follow the sign to Amtrak to connect to your train to Providence. On the Amtrak departure level you will find monitors where track numbers are posted, generally about 10 minutes prior to a train’s departure.

There are two types of trains that operate to Providence: the Northeast Regional trains and the more expensive Acela Express. The Acela is a newer and nicer train, makes fewer stops, and gets to Providence about 15-20 minutes faster, but is also more expensive. In either case, be sure to sit on the right side of the train for the best views (and on the left on your return).
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: SPG
If you are driving I would recommend getting off I-95 and driving through Mystic CT which isn't much of a diversion. It is a cool little village with lots of eating options. Ford's Lobster in Noank (down the road from Mystic) is a no-frills Seafood joint right on the water.

The train is well worth considering too since it removes the worry over traffic, especially on your return trip to JFK.
Analise and allset2travel like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The train is the way to go especially returning to JFK for a Friday evening flight. As Blumie described, it's easy getting to Amtrak at Penn and it's a pretty ride. On the way to JFK from Penn, most LIRR trains go to Jamaica. Just look at the board.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Although it will likely be more expensive, I would consider doing a one-way car rental from JFK to downtown Providence -- or New London, New Haven, etc. -- dropping the car off on Friday, and then taking Amtrak and the LIRR to get back to JFK.

The OP also needs to consider how he will pay for tolls on the route: either cash if he only uses facilities that still accept cash, or the rental company's transponder, which incurs a daily fee.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Blumie

The logistics are pretty easy.

You take the AirTrain (the same train you’d take to get to the car rental facility) to Jamaica Station (about a 10-minute ride; note that there are two trains, one to Jamaica Station and one to Howard Beach, so listen for the announcements to make sure you board the correct train). At Jamaica Station you will need to pay $5 to exit the facility. If you plan to do the same trip in reverse, buy a $10 metrocard from the machine and save the card for your return.

At Jamaica Station, follow the signs to LIRR (Long Island Railroad). After going through the glass doors to the mezzanine level above the tracks, use a ticket machine to purchase an off-peak ticket to Penn Station. (Again you can purchase a round-trip ticket if doing the same trip in reverse on your return). Most times of the day, trains run every 10 to 15 minutes to Penn Station. The trains to Penn Station depart from Track 1.

Once at Penn Station, follow the sign to Amtrak to connect to your train to Providence. On the Amtrak departure level you will find monitors where track numbers are posted, generally about 10 minutes prior to a train’s departure.

There are two types of trains that operate to Providence: the Northeast Regional trains and the more expensive Acela Express. The Acela is a newer and nicer train, makes fewer stops, and gets to Providence about 15-20 minutes faster, but is also more expensive. In either case, be sure to sit on the right side of the train for the best views (and on the left on your return).
Thank you very much for detailing the logistics. I will check the AMTRAK site again for the train schedules etc. The Acela sounds great.

I have taken the AirTran + subway to Manhattan a few times before (I still have the metrocard!), but have never taken the LIRR to Penn Station. Thanks for the info. How long a ride is this (from Jamaica Station to Penn Station)?

I am typing this after I have already read through the posts following yours, there are many good suggestions there as well. Thank you ALL. I am incline to take the train from Providence to Penn on that Friday afternoon, because I am truly concerned about the metro NY/Long Island traffic!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
The train is the way to go especially returning to JFK for a Friday evening flight. As Blumie described, it's easy getting to Amtrak at Penn and it's a pretty ride. On the way to JFK from Penn, most LIRR trains go to Jamaica. Just look at the board.
+1. Right on! Thanks.
Analise likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wds17
If you are driving I would recommend getting off I-95 and driving through Mystic CT which isn't much of a diversion. It is a cool little village with lots of eating options. Ford's Lobster in Noank (down the road from Mystic) is a no-frills Seafood joint right on the water.

The train is well worth considering too since it removes the worry over traffic, especially on your return trip to JFK.
Great suggestion, I will keep this info handy. Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.