Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Driving: JFK to Providence, return

Driving: JFK to Providence, return

Old Aug 16, 2018, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by wxman22
couple of years ago i did the NYC to Providence, RI trip many times and I was amazed how nice it was, especially once you get past New Haven and all the traffic going to Boston.
My thoughts for your trip:
  1. Coming back on Friday night there will be some traffic, however, you do have a number of options on routes. I would prefer that than the Amtrak rigamarole. Just too many transfers and unknowns. I wouldn't do it trying to catch a plane.
  2. Use Google maps and they will give you the best route options
  3. Forget US 1, it's traffic lights and strip malls, Far better is to take the Merritt Parkway, which turns into the Hutchinson in NYS. It's scenic, very pretty and same time as I 95 in normal traffic. Again use google to see whats best
  4. when you rent the car, opt for the stupid Plate Pass. It's just easier.
Good luck
I disagree with this advice.

1. The train is far more predictable (and far easier and more relaxing) than driving.
2. Waze offers better routing than google (even though Waze is owned by google).
3. The Merritt often makes sense from Boston, but makes sense far less often from Providence.
Old Aug 17, 2018, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Thank you everyone for chiming in, providing useful information (even though some that I could not use). I've decided to take Amtrak to Penn Station, then take LIRR to Jamaica, following by AirTrain to JFK.

How is the transfer at Penn Station from Amtrak to LIRR? Signage good? Any stairs to climb (think luggage)?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thank you everyone for chiming in, providing useful information (even though some that I could not use). I've decided to take Amtrak to Penn Station, then take LIRR to Jamaica, following by AirTrain to JFK.

How is the transfer at Penn Station from Amtrak to LIRR? Signage good? Any stairs to climb (think luggage)?
Platforms have elevators. They also have escalators but that doesn't mean they will be either turned on or going up so you can always use the elevators. To make it easier, you might want to sit toward the back half of the Amtrak train (sit on the left side for the coastal view) because the LIRR main area is on the 7th Avenue side of Penn. Plus there are more ticket machines there.

As for elevators back down to the LIRR platforms, you'll see them at the Central Concourse. Scroll to the Lower Level Map and you'll see where the Central Concourse is.

Signage to get to the LIRR from departure of your Amtrak train is good. I don't believe there is signage about elevators which is why I linked the map for you.
allset2travel likes this.

Last edited by Analise; Aug 18, 2018 at 1:50 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Analisa

Deeply appreciate the detailed info re transfer at Penn Station. Thank you!

Yes, the link is extremely useful.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

THANKS

Just completed a 3.5 week trip began in RI/CT. The tips regarding Amtrak PVD to Penn Station, and the transfer at Penn to JFK, had helped me a lot logistically.
Just want to say thanks and appreciate everyone's help!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.