Reload this Page >

Any I-84 Traffic Detour Tips?

Old Jul 29, 18, 4:44 pm
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice

By necessity, I will need to be traveling on I-84 West this Wednesday during the early- or mid-morning (end destination is Danbury).

Based on what I've read, it looks like there could potentially be traffic backups through Hartford and also Waterbury during the times I would be coming through. Does anyone have a rock solid detour through either of those cities if traffic gets heavy?
Old Jul 30, 18, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
By necessity, I will need to be traveling on I-84 West this Wednesday during the early- or mid-morning (end destination is Danbury).

Based on what I've read, it looks like there could potentially be traffic backups through Hartford and also Waterbury during the times I would be coming through. Does anyone have a rock solid detour through either of those cities if traffic gets heavy?
Do exactly what Waze tells you to do, including sitting in traffic if there is no better alternative.
LoganFlyer likes this.
Old Jul 30, 18, 1:54 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Yup. They planned to build a beltway around Hartford but never actually did so, so there's no good way around I-84 there.
Old Jul 30, 18, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
When I traveled from the Boston area to the Danbury area regularly, not many years ago, I'd get off onto I-91 towards New Haven, then take exit 18 (I think) onto I-691 and back to I-84 that way. Avoids the worst of Hartford and its immediate vicinity.

That said, I-84 is poorly designed. It has truck lanes up many of the steeper hills, but they end at the crests so the trucks don't have room to get back up to highway speed before they have to merge into the travel lanes. That causes slowdowns that could have been avoided by continuing the truck lane a bit past the crest. Not much a driver can do about highway design, though.
Old Jul 30, 18, 4:00 pm
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
When I traveled from the Boston area to the Danbury area regularly, not many years ago, I'd get off onto I-91 towards New Haven, then take exit 18 (I think) onto I-691 and back to I-84 that way. Avoids the worst of Hartford and its immediate vicinity.
Thank you, I was wondering if that route would be a good alternative, and based on what I've seen from traffic reports on Twitter, it appears you're correct that it avoids most (if not all) of the traffic headaches in Hartford. Awesome! ^
Old Aug 2, 18, 4:32 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Just to follow up on this thread, there was some slow traffic coming into Hartford before I got to the exit that leads to I-91, but only about a 5 minute backup. No problems on 91/691.

There was a small backup on 84 through Waterbury where the construction was and again through Danbury, and I didn't bother with Waze, I just rode it out.

Thanks again for the help!
Old Aug 2, 18, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
Just to follow up on this thread, there was ...
Glad it worked out for you!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: