Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Time to transit Boston Logan [Dom-Intl-Doml]

Old May 20, 18, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors

I have an upcoming flight on Turkish airlines to/from Boston to a destination in Eastern Europe, as that was the cheapest way to get from the US to where I need to go. I'll also be buying a separate ticket to/from Boston to connect to the Turkish Airlines flight (yes, I know it's risky to have two separate tickets because I"m not protected against delays, but the prices for flying directly from PHL to my destination were significantly higher and not much more convenient). So, I'm wondering how much time I'll need to make the connection in Boston Logan - including getting through customs and passport control when I return. I've flown through the airport before, and don't recall it being particularly large, so I imagine physically getting from terminal E to either C or A won't be too much trouble. I will have to pick up a checked bag and then re-check it, though. I'd appreciate an estimate of how much time this might take, and how much of a cushion I should give myself - I can get a flight into Boston relatively early in the day and give myself up to 5 hours, if needed.
Old May 21, 18, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
You obviously know the dangers of separate tickets, so let me just ask you this; what if your PHL-BOS flight is cancelled? Just last week I spent almost 10 hours in the UA club in EWR because of rolling delays. Id go for the maximum possible time, including arriving the night before.
Old May 21, 18, 1:45 am

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Upside is that the BOS-IST leg takes off at 23:35 and there are many flights between PHL & BOS on either AA or B6. If you're not willing to fly in the day before I would recommend planning to arrive by 16:00 at the latest and using AA will probably be a wiser idea in the case of irrops.
On the return you only have one flight option which departs 1h 49m after arrival which doesn't seem practical unless you have GE and preferably HBO.
Best option is to arrive the day before and depart the day after returning.
Old May 21, 18, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
You are also returning into BOS at "rush hour" for international flights: 7 international flights are scheduled to land between 6:15 and 6:30 pm on most days. While they do staff up during these times, it still can be a bit of a mess unless you have GE.
Old May 21, 18, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Thanks all. Yes, the Turkish flight leaves at 23:35, and I was thinking of arriving in Boston around 4pm from Philadelphia, which should hopefully give me about 7 hours in case there are delays or irrops. Why do you say AA is the best option for that - do they have better interline agreements than the other option (jetblue)?

Looks like I may have to stay overnight once I arrive, though there is also a 9:26 jetblue flight, but I guess that one's risky too. Apparently there's an airport Hilton at Boston Logan, so I may just cash in those Hilton points and depart the next day. I really should bite the bullet and get GE, but I tend to travel out of the country only about once a year, so somehow I never made that investment.
Old May 21, 18, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS 75K, TK ELPL (*G), BA Gold (OWE), DL GM (ST E+), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
B6 and TK's gates are connected airside at BOS - not too important if you're going to be checking a bag, but it does make for a much smoother transit experience if you are carry-on only or can convince the checkin agent to interline your bag for you.
Old May 21, 18, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA
Boston is not really designed for connections. There is no way to get from Terminal B (if you arrive by AA), so count on a good 30 minutes from when you get your bag to when you get to terminal E (where Turkish leaves from), as buses can sometimes be so crowded you have to wait for the next one. Terminal C (B6) is connected to E so you don't have to worry about that.

Coming back I would highly recommend staying overnight. The Hilton is connected by walkway to terminals A and E, so you don't even need to deal with a shuttle bus.

As a back-up for getting home, keep in mind you can take Amtrak from Boston to Philadelphia.
Old May 21, 18, 6:03 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
AA has much better irrops options & handling. B6, while a great airline, if there is a storm you're limited by their network and available seats. Chances are things will go as planned but if they don't I would prefer not to be on B6.
The Hilton at the airport or anywhere near the airport sounds like a good idea. Boston does have some great food options since you'll arrive early evening I believe on the return.

You really should get GE. My parents fly internationally once a year or so and they can't imagine traveling without Pre or GE as the standard. I use it far more often and got Nexus for even less money and feel like each use could easily be valued at $10 in lessened frustration and time making a return trip worth the $20 per year in Precheck alone.
Old May 22, 18, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yoshi212 View Post
AA has much better irrops options & handling.
Whilst this is generally true, it is of limited use to the OP as AA won't protect his TK flight destination (if that is the benefit you were referring to.)
Old May 22, 18, 11:01 am

I wasn't talking about protecting the TK flight but rather options to get to BOS. B6 is limited during irrops compared to other airlines. Capacity & frequency are more constrained in B6 operations while AA can have more slack. Rerouting or putting on a different flight if a plane goes tech or there is a weather issue can save the situation.

Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Whilst this is generally true, it is of limited use to the OP as AA won't protect his TK flight destination (if that is the benefit you were referring to.)
Old May 22, 18, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, I agree with that.
Old May 22, 18, 11:51 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. I'm under no illusions about any of the airlines agreeing to interline my bag - I'm in this situation in the first place because to buy these flights as one ticket, I'd have had to physically go to a TK office in DC or NYC, so I'm not sure their IT can even handle that.

It does seem like AA is a better option just because of greater interline agreements and rerouting options - B6's network is unfortunately limited.

Am considering getting Global Entry, but I doubt I'd be able to swing it before I leave? Their website doesn't say how long the process takes; I leave the country June 14th, so I'm guessing there's no chance of me scheduling an interview before then.

I did also consider Amtrak for getting home, but that would require getting from the airport to the train station in the city, correct? Might be a bit of a hassle.
Old May 22, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by DrRodneyMcKay View Post
I did also consider Amtrak for getting home, but that would require getting from the airport to the train station in the city, correct? Might be a bit of a hassle.
Actually no. The Silverline is a bus that serves all terminals, crosses the harbor through the Ted Williams tunnel, then enters a busway tunnel to go straight to South Station, which is where you pick up Amtrak. I have parked at the airport when taking Amtrak to NYC. And, coming from the airport, it is FREE!
Old May 22, 18, 12:13 pm

From what I see there is only the 21:30 train the OP could make which is a 7.5 hour regional train which sounds very unappealing to me.
Old May 22, 18, 1:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
On the outbound, remaining airside is not relevant because OP apparently has checked luggage which he will have to claim and then check-in. Thus, he can't remain airside.

It's just a rule of thumb, but I tend to do 3 x the MCT for separate tickets. Is that enough? No way to predict. Bad weather on the BOS-WAS corridor means that the micro-haul flights get cancelled while the long-hauls go out. Four hours might be more than you need or way too little.

On the return, I would worry a bit less. While TK won't cut OP any slack, both AA & B6 can be decent about missed flights and may rebook. The cost of getting to PHL is also a lot less than purchasing a new ticket on the outbound.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: