Wiki Posts
Search

AA Terminal B reconstruction

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
AA Terminal B reconstruction

I haven't flown out of the the old USAir side of Terminal B for a while but recently noticed that the renovation of that side of the terminal is now well underway. I hadn't seen plans or descriptions of what the completed terminal will look like so I poked around online to see what was available. I found this document:

https://www.massport.com/media/2420/...17_final-2.pdf

on the Massport site which gives a fair amount of detail, though it doesn't have a great floor plan of the completed project. Is anyone aware of any other documents that give more detail on what the completed terminal configuration will look like?
Old Apr 3, 2018, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

A few interesting features of the Terminal B renovation plan from this document:

1. Currently the USAir side of terminal B has three security checkpoints: one for the USAir Shuttle, one for the "main" portion of the terminal, and one for the Air Canada gates (B1-B3). The renovation will replace these three security checkpoints with one consolidated checkpoint with nine lanes (located roughly where the USAir Shuttle checkpoint is currently.
2. All of the gates on this side of the terminal will be accessible through the new single security checkpoint. Among other things, this means that gates B1-B3 will now be part of the combined terminal B (although still far off on one end).
3. The Admirals Club will be expanded from 11,000 s.f. to 15,000 s.f. Presumably AA will be renovating it as well, although that is not part of Massport's work on the terminal itself.
4. More retail/restaurant space will be added.
5. There will be one combined new ticketing/baggage counter with 11,200 s.f. (up from the current 8,000 s.f.)
6. American will lease all the gates on this side of the terminal (including B1-B3) but will sublease some (presumably B1-B3) to Air Canada. If AA were to expand its footprint at Logan in the future, it could presumably take over those gates from Air Canada and force them to relocate somewhere else (presumably Terminal A). So, AA has some expansion flexibility built into this plan.
7. When the project is completed and AA consolidates fully on the new, renovated side, Southwest will move from Terminal A into the gates AA vacates (B31-B36).
Yahtzee likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Poster

It appears that the new security checkpoint into the legacy USAir side of Terminal B opened in mid-October and the food court area (which is immediately on the other side of security) is completed and open for business!

The gates still have a ways to go, though

Does anyone have a sense of timing of completion of the work on the gates and the ultimate move from the legacy AA side to the new side of Terminal B?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I still remember the old airlines of terminal B, when Republic, Western, Midwest Express, and even Continental shared the pier with USAir.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.