Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Connection time from BOS airport to Boston North (Amtrak station)

Old Mar 17, 18, 4:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, National Executive Elite

If I have a 5:08pm weekday arrival at BOS, will I be able to catch the 6:15pm Amtrak Downeaster train out of Boston North?

I will be arriving from SFO (domestic) with no checked bags.
Old Mar 18, 18, 2:36 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Yes, but I would take a taxi/Uber/Lyft and not use public transportation, since there's no easy way to go from Logan to North Station via the T. Of course, that assumes your inbound flight is on-time.
Old Mar 18, 18, 8:04 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Tunnel traffic could be lousy at that time.

Also depends on where at Logan you're arriving. The remote Terminal at A adds time, both because of distance there plus extra Logan roadway distances. Same with further gates at C that are a lengthy hike to ground transportation.

I'd have a Plan B ready if you miss that train. If your flight is at all late you are out of luck
Old Mar 18, 18, 10:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This does not answer OP's question, but since he is catching the Downeaster, if he is headed to Portland or north along the Maine coast, he should consider the Concord Trailways nonstop service from BOS to Portland. Takes 1:45, picks up at terminals at BOS and the drop off is at the same location as Amtrak in Portland. OP should be able to catch the 5:35 PM bus and be in Portland by 7:45. If not, the 6:35. Pickup time depends on terminal.

The BOS-BON hop seems a tough one given the timing.
Analise likes this.
Old Mar 18, 18, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Yes, but I would take a taxi/Uber/Lyft and not use public transportation, since there's no easy way to go from Logan to North Station via the T. Of course, that assumes your inbound flight is on-time.
It's three stops on the Blue Line from Airport to State, and two stops on the Orange Line from State to North Station. At that time of day, I can't imagine that it would take more than 30 minutes on the T. Of course, one does have to allow time to get to Airport station from one's terminal at Logan.

If the OP can be at Airport station by 5:30 pm, I expect that he would get to North Station by 6:00 pm +/- a few minutes.
​​​​​
Old Mar 18, 18, 3:04 pm

I agree, that sounds like a better plan that taxi/uber/lyft
Old Mar 18, 18, 7:14 pm

I usually take the Blue Line all the way to Bowdoin (last station) and walk to North Station/TD Garden, about 10 min walk. But, yeah, this is a tight connection.
Old Mar 19, 18, 2:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Uber vs. the T is a tough call. To me one of the key variables is how long it takes for uber to arrive vs. how long does it take for the Massport shuttle to get you to the T station. But either should be doable if the SFO-BOS flight arrives on time.
Old Mar 26, 18, 5:20 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
This does not answer OP's question, but since he is catching the Downeaster, if he is headed to Portland or north along the Maine coast, he should consider the Concord Trailways nonstop service from BOS to Portland. Takes 1:45, picks up at terminals at BOS and the drop off is at the same location as Amtrak in Portland. OP should be able to catch the 5:35 PM bus and be in Portland by 7:45. If not, the 6:35. Pickup time depends on terminal.

The BOS-BON hop seems a tough one given the timing.
Similar question

will be over night in BOS
looking at the Downeaster to POR
I see that the but has a lot more frequency but...

I just don't like the idea of the bus

have you taken it?

do they even have bathrooms on the bus?

where in POR does it drop you off? Will be staying in the Old Port

I will also need to rent a car [Avis] when I get to POR although not necessarily on the DOA
Old Mar 26, 18, 7:45 am

Portland depot info is found here: https://concordcoachlines.com/stop/portland-maine/
Old Mar 26, 18, 8:04 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The train is more pleasant, but takes close to an hour longer. In addition, the train sells J for a premium of $5-9 which is really pleasant although nothing special. The bus is clean, fast and non-stop. Movies and wifi. The bus and train terminate in POR at the same location, so doesn't make a difference which mode you use. from POR to Old Port, you can take a taxi or Uber or wait for a bus (I think it's hourly). Old Port is also biggish, so depending on what you are lugging, the Uber mode may be best.

Search this Thread