Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Embassy suites Boston Airport - what's the area like?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Am looking for somewhere to stay with the wife & kids in the summer so we can see a bit of Boston. Hotel prices are eye wateringly expensive (especially since there's 5 of us), but I can get the ES at the airport on points.

A browse on google maps shows the surrounding area as non-descript. It looks fine, but I've read some negative points about "East Boston".

The hotel will just be somewhere to sleep. Happy to Uber into the city (it's a weekend stay) and the "zero" hotel cost will mitigate the expense here.

Am I missing anything? Any better ideas as to where I can stay without dropping $500/nt?

Many thanks
Old Jan 3, 2018, 4:39 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
It's not a bad neighborhood, just not convenient due to the tunnel. Subway might be more efficient due to tunnel traffic. You can walk to the "T".

A few restaurants and shops nearby and a big park almost next door.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:25 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I'd agree with Out of my Element. Nothing inherently wrong with that neighborhood. The Blue Line Airport T (subway) station is walkable, though with 5 people, an UberXL may be more convenient/cheaper, depending on where you're heading. It shouldn't be hard to pick up an Uber in that area, as there are plenty of cars dropping off passengers at BOS. But as mentioned above, tunnel traffic at rush hour can slow to a crawl.

Not many things to do nor restaurants near the ES, but there is Santarpios down the street, which is a well-known pizza joint. But if you're just using the ES as a place to sleep, then enjoy food & sights inside the city before take an Uber back to the hotel after rush-hour.

I think your plan is pretty sound. Other options for cheaper room rates would put you out in the suburbs of Boston. Not all of them are easily connected to the city via public transportation, and Uber costs would start to rack up.

Enjoy your trip! (There are other threads within the New England forum with suggestions for how to entertain a family, but if you have any specific questions, just let us know.)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks very much both! I'll hunt out those other links - we just have a couple of days in town before flying on.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Boston hotels are pricey for most of the year, with the exception of the dead of winter. The "T" (read: subway) from the ES is a pretty quick ride into downtown (about 10 minutes from Quincy Market/State Street) and is a pretty decent ES.

Some parts of East Boston are on the rougher side, but that's heading away from the airport up the north shore, not the area around the ES.
Swiss Tony likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
The hotel will just be somewhere to sleep. Happy to Uber into the city (it's a weekend stay) and the "zero" hotel cost will mitigate the expense here.

Am I missing anything? Any better ideas as to where I can stay without dropping $500/nt?

Many thanks
With five people, maybe try AirBNB or VRBO? I'd suggest looking at Brookline Village and Coolidge Corner which are on the green line and Harvard and Central Squares on the red. I just booked a weekend in June and almost everything I looked at was around $600 per night with the Four Seasons and Mandarin closer to $800.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 7:40 pm

I agree the neighborhood is fine, but definitely not exciting or worth spending much time. Santarpio's is quite popular, but personally I think it's over-rated and they seem to relish their 'we're popular so can offer rude service and call it charming' role.

If you stay at the ES and take Uber, consider putting in the corner of Cottage St and Porter St as the address. You will not be charged the $7ish airport fee and you are steps from the entrance of the hotel.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
East Boston has some great restaurants. In addition to Santarpio’s (count me among its fans), I’d recommend Rino’s for Italian and Angela’s Café for Mexican.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Any thoughts on the Sheraton Back Bay instead of the ES? The local restaurant tips near the ES had me quite happy to stay there but it looks like we'll have an extra half day in the City which tips teh balance more towards a central location. It just seems that the Sheraton is as far West of the centre as the ES is East!

Thanks
Old Jan 21, 2018, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The Sheraton Back Bay is in an excellent location near lots of restaurants and shopping. It's not at all like the ES in that regard.
Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:40 pm

Breakfast at the ES was great when I stayed there last March. So was the Santarpios pizza a couple of blocks away. The evening reception has no alcohol. State law prohibits it, or something. I would stay there again instead of spending a lot more staying in town. So easy and quick to use the T to and from, and close to the airport for the flight out.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Any thoughts on the Sheraton Back Bay instead of the ES? ........ It just seems that the Sheraton is as far West of the centre as the ES is East!
As in most cities, Boston has more than one "centre". The Sheraton is in the Back Bay, very convenient to Copley Plaza, Newbury Street, Charles River Esplanade, Fenway Park, major Museums, Symphony Hall, Christian Science Plaza, etc.
Although you could walk from Sheraton to Faneuil Hall area (2 Miles/45Min walk), you would probably want to take the "T", uber or cab.
Two different areas, both are "Boston".
I have stayed at ES/Logan several times, with 2 kids, because of convenience to airport for early departure. Serves that purpose nicely; however when you walk out the door, you are still, in a neighborhood surrounding the airport. When you walk out the door at Sheraton, you are very much, in Boston.
Finally, if you have 3 kids and you are going in the summer consider that the Sheraton has a very nice pool with retractable roof!
Just the thing for cranky kids (or parents) after traipsing around the city all day! While the Logan ES does have a pool, it is your typical small, indoor variety.
I would choose Sheraton if you are getting rates similar or even close.

Last edited by BOSOGG; Jan 22, 2018 at 11:13 am
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA: EXP/5.2mm
The Sheraton Back Bay is in a MUCH better location than the Embassy Suites Logan Airport. I would strongly urge you to stay at the Sheraton over the ES if at all possible. The Sheraton is in a wonderful location with lots within walking distance while the ES is in a gritty residential neighborhood (contiguous to the airport) with little of interest nearby.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks all - have switched to the Sheraton :-)

Obviously I'm keen to hear all tips for the locality (2 adults, 3 kids age 8-13)

And specifically, does anyone have any recommendations for early breakfast venues nearby, over a weekend (i.e. open at 6am)? Having flown in from London we'll be battling our body clocks!
Old Jan 31, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Thanks all - have switched to the Sheraton :-)

Obviously I'm keen to hear all tips for the locality (2 adults, 3 kids age 8-13)

And specifically, does anyone have any recommendations for early breakfast venues nearby, over a weekend (i.e. open at 6am)? Having flown in from London we'll be battling our body clocks!
Back bay is largely a business district and will be quiet on a Saturday/Sunday at 6 AM. Your best bet will probably be the hotel for breakfast.

One of my favorite restaurants in that area (and, for that matter, Boston in general) is Fire + Ice. You can grab lunch or dinner there and they have a unique way of preparing the food and you get a lot of food for your $.

https://fire-ice.com/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.