Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston hotel rates based on Red Sox playoff fate?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:23 am
Original Poster

We need to stay in Boston Oct. 16 before an early flight out. The hotels in the immediate airport area and downtown are generally showing very high rates. In a search for conventions, I don't see anything very big. Would it be because the Red Sox could be hosting a playoff game, and if they're eliminated, we could see the rates go down? The lower seed would be hosting the game, so if we want to root for the Sox, we could hope the opponent is the Yankees and the game would be in the Bronx.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 12:01 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I doubt it has anything to do with the Red Sox (I don't think many are expecting a deep playoff run, I'm surely not). It has everything to do with this is a very busy time of year in all of New England, due somewhat to fall foliage, but also the weather is not too hot and not too cold.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I thought it over and changed the Southwest booking to go from BDL. About the same distance for us, flights of similar convenience giving us a few bucks back in credit, and a better Park & Fly deal at a hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Boston hotels are expensive, period, except for the middle of the winter. Maybe the hotels near Fenway Park have higher rates in case the Red Sox make it deep in the playoffs (which right now is not looking likely), but I doubt the airport hotels have jacked up prices due to the Red Sox. That's just normal Boston pricing.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: Hilton, IHG, JetBlue, AA, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by rove312
We need to stay in Boston Oct. 16 before an early flight out. The hotels in the immediate airport area and downtown are generally showing very high rates. In a search for conventions, I don't see anything very big. Would it be because the Red Sox could be hosting a playoff game, and if they're eliminated, we could see the rates go down? The lower seed would be hosting the game, so if we want to root for the Sox, we could hope the opponent is the Yankees and the game would be in the Bronx.
I think it's just a matter of what you consider very high rates? When I stayed in Boston in June, the weekday rate was $319 plus tax at the Back Bay Hilton. If you are seeing rates higher than that, it's more likely attributed to parent's weekend at the colleges in the city than to the Red Sox. As previously stated, it's an expensive city.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:43 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
The Head of the Charles Regatta is next weekend. It's the second busiest hotel weekend in Boston behind the Marathon. I bet many of them stay over the Monday, and/or there are tons of leaf peepers.

Almost no one travels to watch DS and CS series in baseball
Old Oct 7, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Head of the Charles isn't for 2 weeks (the 21st & 22nd.) I doubt that's affecting hotel rates for the 16th all that much. I do agree that Head of the Charles does fill up all the hotels around here and jacks up prices in a serious way.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
There are a lot of colleges holding open houses for high school seniors in October. In fact, I'm in the Boston area touring colleges with my son this weekend. That could be affecting rates.

I can confirm that rates are high, but not ridiculous for Boston.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not sure what OP means by "high rate". Does he mean "high rate for Boston based on his recent experiences" or just "more than I want to pay"?

Boston hotels can be expensive. Extraordinarily so. For lots and lots of reasons which don't need to be covered here.

BDL, on the other hand, is in the middle of roughly nowhere and rates are comparatively lower than at BOS.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

It's moot for me following our rebooking out of BDL, but when I've stayed in Boston I've gotten decent standard points bookings, or I've had rates just over $100 at the airport Hilton and downtown Sheraton in the week after Christmas, which I know isn't a valid comparison, but when I've searched on occasion, outside of Marathon days, I don't recall seeing rates like this: downtown Hiltons sold out, Intercontinental over $500. The airport Hyatt isn't taking points bookings, but the downtown Hyatt, with a rate of $539, does offer a points booking which could be converted from 15,000 Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sounds like a bit on the high side for Boston during Fall foliage, parents weekend at however many colleges and 1-2 professional meetings. But, "high side" doesn't mean way out of whack.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Head of the Charles isn't for 2 weeks (the 21st & 22nd.)
Thanks for the correction, I should have known that.

Originally Posted by rove312
It's moot for me following our rebooking out of BDL, but when I've stayed in Boston I've gotten decent standard points bookings, or I've had rates just over $100 at the airport Hilton and downtown Sheraton in the week after Christmas, which I know isn't a valid comparison
I've never seen $100 at either on property airport hotel and I've looked throughout the year for the past decade or so, but not during that holiday week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.