Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Portland ME food recommendation

Portland ME food recommendation

Old Aug 5, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I missed the reservation window (same thing I did last time), so the only option is walking in. Given they have one-third of their seats set aside for walking in, I figured that if we showed up and were first on line, we would definitely make it in.
You should get seated that way, but if you're going to wait for a table anywhere in Portland, it should be at Central Provisions.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
You should get seated that way, but if you're going to wait for a table anywhere in Portland, it should be at Central Provisions.
Been there, done that - want to try somewhere new for dinner! Our Saturday night spot is Sur Lie, which I think is relatively new.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:09 pm

Been there, done that - want to try somewhere new for dinner! Our Saturday night spot is Sur Lie, which I think is relatively new.
I've heard good things about Sur Lie. Another option is Bolster, Snow & Co. Drifter's Wife is underrated. I also love Miyake (either one).
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Binga's has the best deal in town: $3 drafts of any of their 60 or 70 taps, most of which are local beers..
I remember when Binga's first opened at what looked like a dive bar on Congress St near Maine Medical before the fire. Dive or not, those wings were absolutely unbelievable — they were HUGE. At least they kept the redneck sauce. The sports bar is nice especially if you get a booth but I still miss Binga's dive beginnings.

Gong back to the question about Happy Hour spots in the Old Port, we always like Dock Fore especially during Pumpkinhead season (which starts soon?). $1.95 20oz ice cold Pumpkinhead!
Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:55 pm

I've heard good things about Sur Lie. Another option is Bolster, Snow & Co. Drifter's Wife is underrated. I also love Miyake (either one).
We actually switched our reservation to Bolster Snow & Co., as we have a couple friends joining us for a day trip from Boston. Hoping it turns out better than the weather is looking!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:00 am

We actually switched our reservation to Bolster Snow & Co., as we have a couple friends joining us for a day trip from Boston. Hoping it turns out better than the weather is looking!
As a follow-up here - Bolster Snow & Co. was by far the worst meal Ive ever had in Portland. The chef there can bake a good sourdough, but apparently has zero idea around how to cook pasta or duck. Yikes!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 9:55 am

As a follow-up here - Bolster Snow & Co. was by far the worst meal Ive ever had in Portland. The chef there can bake a good sourdough, but apparently has zero idea around how to cook pasta or duck. Yikes!
Interesting. That's the first bad thing I've heard about the place. I don't doubt your opinion, but that sucks and now I'm sorry I suggested it!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I had an excellent dinner at Eventide last month. They have good beers on tap, a full bar with interesting selections and a fun menu with fresh seafood. It's a small space though so expect a wait

I recommend the New England Steampot.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 6:05 am

Interesting. That's the first bad thing I've heard about the place. I don't doubt your opinion, but that sucks and now I'm sorry I suggested it!
Not your fault at all! My wife had suggested it separately after reading online reviews...so shes more at fault
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:09 pm

Surprised I haven't seen Fore Street or Street and Co mentioned - both are very good.
Central Provision, Miyake, Duckfat - you won't be disappointed.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by sandc4e
Surprised I haven't seen Fore Street or Street and Co mentioned - both are very good.
Central Provision, Miyake, Duckfat - you won't be disappointed.
I haven't been to Miyake or Duckfat yet - but agree that the other 3 are all very good choices. ^
Old Sep 18, 2018, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Duckfat. Is. Just. Panini. And. Fries. It's not worth an hour plus wait. It's good, but it's decidedly a tourist trap. When I go I get the tomato bisque (with grilled cheese croutons!) and the salad of the day. It's the best tomato soup I've ever had.

Miyake is one of the best Japanese restaurants I've been to.

Fore Street is good but costs 30% more than it should for what it is. Street & Co (owned by the same people) was unmemorable. I know I've been but don't remember it.

Central Provisions is delightful. Check out brunch on weekends for still-great food and less of a wait.

If you want solid lobster rolls without the expense and wait of Eventide, check out High Roller.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I haven't been to Miyake or Duckfat yet - but agree that the other 3 are all very good choices. ^
Now granted we were in Portland a year ago, but the two places that stood out for us was Duckfat and Honey Paw. They are close to each other, what I liked about Duckfat was the fries are cooked in Duckfat (make sure you get it with an egg) and the Panni sammy's were excellent. Now our wait time was ZERO, we did get there about 730pm. Honey Paw, it's a pan asain place that had some of the best wings I've had (next to the ones in Bejing) the main dish was their special that night and was excellent. We were tired of seafood by the time we ate at Honey Paw. They are different and good.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:55 pm

I wouldn't call Duckfat a tourist trap. It's an insanely popular place owned by people who are generally thrilled do be doing something they enjoy, and aren't particularly driven to expand/create capacity. Mind you, I moved away for a bit earlier this year, but up until that time that place was slammed even in the middle of winter.
FlightNurse likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We like the Good Table in Cape Elizabeth. It's family run with Lisa (the chef) cooking utterly delicious food without the need to rip you off as if you were having dinner in midtown Manhattan as some Portland restaurants do.

We also like the mussels and Clam Chowder at Gilberts in the Old Port. For breakfast, we like sitting at the counter (the original one as you walk in) at Becky's. The grilled blueberry muffins are incredible. Their omelettes are fantastic because they don't add crap that makes omelettes "fluffy". They are simply eggs and the ingredients you want inside.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.