FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Help with weekend in Kennebunkport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1864397-help-weekend-kennebunkport.html)

floridagal23 Aug 31, 2017 9:42 am

Help with weekend in Kennebunkport

i grew up spending the summers at camp on Sebago Lake but haven't been back in years. We are heading to Kennebunkport this weekend with friends. Any thoughts on what to do and where to go? We are eager to fill up on lobster rolls. It's 4 of
us (2 couples) and we obviously will have cars. Thanks!

Analise Aug 31, 2017 11:33 am

My love for Maine started in camp too — 8 weeks in the summer and our camp was maybe 20 minutes from Sebago Lake.

I'm trying to think of the camps by Sebago — Wawenock, Skylemar (boys camp in which we always had a social with them)

Back to your question…

You can do nearly anything. Drive to Sebago and go hiking near where you spent your summers. You'll love it! Then go to the Naples Lobster Pound for lunch/dinner. I was there last summer and it was fabulous!

Kennebunkport is loaded with tourists and the town is tiny. Parking will be a nightmare. Just know it in advance. Restaurants -- Federal Jack's is on the water and a nice atmosphere for dinner. Sit outside on the deck and enjoy lobster and any of the Shipyard craft beers. For lobster pounds, go to Nunan's. Also consider Cape Pier Chowder House.

For midnight shopping, you can always go to LL Bean in Freeport.

Lighthouses — Nubble Light at Cape Neddick, Portland Head Light in Cape Elizabeth, Spring Point Light in South Portland in which you can walk out to the jetty to get close to it.

If you love clam chowder, for something different, go to Bob's Clam Hut in Kittery (it's a roadside classic) for THIN clam chowder….so delicious. Plus their fried clams are out of this world. If you're with people whose idea of nirvana is outlet shopping, Kittery has that as well as Freeport.

floridagal23 Sep 1, 2017 6:55 am

Thank you!!! I went to Mataponi. So excited to be back!

Analise Sep 1, 2017 7:55 am

Definitely consider seeing Mataponi again. The flood gates might just open with wonderful memories. :)

Have a great weekend!

Blumie Sep 2, 2017 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by Analise (Post 28760714)
I'm trying to think of the camps by Sebago — Wawenock, Skylemar (boys camp in which we always had a social with them)

I went to Skylemar in the 70s!

Analise Sep 2, 2017 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 28769304)
I went to Skylemar in the 70s!

:)

I was in camper the late 70s/early 80s.

floridagal23 Sep 5, 2017 10:26 am

We had many socials with Skylemar!

so the weekend turned out fine, for something planned days before. We drove up Friday morning in good time and stopped in Kittery for some fried clams and shopping before a stop at dunne's for ice cream (fka Brown's). Checked in at the hotel (cottages at cabot cove- highly recommend) and hit Ogunquit Lobster Pound for dinner. On saturday we went to Congdon's donuts, walked around Ogunquit, and then went up to Sebago Lake for a trip to camp. A walk around Kenne and quick dinner at Clam Shack before a stop at goose rocks Dairy for ice cream rounded out the evening. Sunday was rainy and cold. We drove to a few lighthouses/viewpoints before killing time during a long wait at Eventide in Portland with some brewery stops and fries to go from duck fat. Then, on to LL Bean for late evening shopping before hearing back to the hotel. On Sunday we hit the port lobster company for some rolls to go and headed back to NYC. Thanks for all your tips!

Analise Sep 8, 2017 1:31 pm

Your weekend sounded great!! Thank you for sharing.