Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Vermont foliage - staying in Albany/Saratoga Springs, NY?

Old Aug 30, 17, 11:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC

Trying to book a Columbus Day road trip to Vermont to see the foliage from PHL.

Will depart Friday early PM and needs to be back by Sunday since I don't have Monday off.

Columbus Day is the latest I could go since I already have a trip booked 10/13-15 and 10/20-22 will be in the middle of midterms. Going earlier could be an option, but I do want to visit closer to peak season.

As one would expect, most hotels within Vermont are already booked-up. However, there seems to be plenty of availability on the other side of the state line in Albany and Saratoga Springs. Note anything north of Saratoga Springs is unavailable as well.

I'm currently booked into Hyatt Place Saratoga/Malta with the following itinerary:

Day 1
Depart PHL early PM.
Drive to Malta, NY.
Stay at HP Saratoga.

Day 2
Drive to Burlington, VT.
Drive to Waitsfield, VT.
Drive down Route 100 to Rutland, VT.
Return to Malta, NY.
Stay at HP Saratoga.

Day 3
Drive to Bennington, VT.
Explore the area. Route TBD.
Drive back to PHL.

Any advice?
Old Aug 31, 17, 7:05 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Day 2 is 6.5 hours of driving with no traffic. During leaf peeping season I'd add 50% to those times, although it could take longer.

Since no one really knows when the colors will start turning and/or peak, I'd wait on figuring out this itinerary until a few days beforehand. Burlington might be well past peak by then, and it's Burlington and Waitsfield that are adding most of the time. It might turn out that you have peak color in the Green Mountain area (further south) which would be a much shorter drive.

And if you do have to go further north to peep, maybe base yourself in Lake George or Ticonderoga so your outing is that much shorter?
jacobguo likes this.
Old Aug 31, 17, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Day 2 is 6.5 hours of driving with no traffic. During leaf peeping season I'd add 50% to those times, although it could take longer.

Since no one really knows when the colors will start turning and/or peak, I'd wait on figuring out this itinerary until a few days beforehand. Burlington might be well past peak by then, and it's Burlington and Waitsfield that are adding most of the time. It might turn out that you have peak color in the Green Mountain area (further south) which would be a much shorter drive.

And if you do have to go further north to peep, maybe base yourself in Lake George or Ticonderoga so your outing is that much shorter?
Thanks for the reply! I have no problem doing 10+ hours per day, as I have done it multiple times before. I'll keep an eye on peak times in Northern Vermont. Hopefully I'll be able to see Burlington & surroundings but if not, a shorter drive is pretty nice too.

Saratoga Springs is actually the furthest north I could book into. There's nothing avaliable south of Plattsburgh and that would be too much of a drive for day 1. Guess I'll keep checking.
Old Sep 2, 17, 10:20 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
I would also take a look further east for a base of operations, possibly Amhurst, Northampton, or Springfield MA. You can just zip up I-91 to wherever the foliage is at it's peak.
jacobguo likes this.
Old Sep 25, 17, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA Plat, Honors Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Wyndham Plat, National Exec, Hertz 5*
Is it possible for you to fly into BDL or ALB? Those would be better options than trying to drive up to Malta from PHL on a Friday evening. It's probably at least a 5 hour drive assuming you get out without any issues. However, based on past recent experiences that's highly unlikely to occur.

The benefit of staying in Malta is that you should have easy access over to Vermont and you'll start getting some fall color in the rolling hills of eastern NY.
Old Oct 3, 17, 1:59 pm

Why not just fly to BTV. 4 flights a day from PHL. Car rental is cheap.

Foliage sucks here right now FYI. Colors aren't popping at all because it has been so warm in the last two weeks. Muted oranges and yellows are showing up but nothing really dramatic. Might swing with some cold nights and some rain.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: