Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

10-day NE fall driving tour recommendation

Old Aug 29, 17, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

My traveling companion and I would like to see NE in the fall, experience the foliage, coastal towns, food, a boat ride (which town is best?), and do some camping/small hikes around Acadia and/or White Mountain.

I cut up Ultimate NE Road Trip into this:
Day 1 Boston, MA
Day 2 Portsmouth, NH
Day 3 Portland, ME
Day 4 Acadia NP, ME
Day 5 Acadia NP, ME
Day 6 White Mountain, NH
Day 7 White Mountain, NH
Day 8 New Haven, CT
Day 9 Newport, RI
Day 10 Boston, MA

What does everyone think? I cut out Burlington to reduce driving, but is there still too much for 10 days? Is New Haven/Newport worth the drive at the end to visit? Or should we cut White Mountain and spend more time on the coast?

Also, does traffic / tourism get worse over Columbus Day weekend? We do have the flexibility to avoid it entirely but still want to see some fall colors.
Old Aug 29, 17, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Random thoughts:

After the White Mountains, why go to New Haven? I don't see the attraction of New Haven.

Have lunch in Portsmouth but I don't see why you don't continue to Portland. Maybe add a night in Portland and do a day in Coastal Portland area (Portland itself, Cape Elizabeth for the Portland Head Light, Peaks Island, Freeport at night) and a day inland toward Sebago Lake. Or take that extra day/night and see Camden including Mt Battie.
Old Aug 29, 17, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
Random thoughts:

After the White Mountains, why go to New Haven? I don't see the attraction of New Haven.

Have lunch in Portsmouth but I don't see why you don't continue to Portland. Maybe add a night in Portland and do a day in Coastal Portland area (Portland itself, Cape Elizabeth for the Portland Head Light, Peaks Island, Freeport at night) and a day inland toward Sebago Lake. Or take that extra day/night and see Camden including Mt Battie.
Thanks, this helps a ton. I added an extra day/night in Portland since it seems there is a ton to do around there and Camden on the way to Acadia sounds perfect for us:
Day 1 Boston, MA
Day 2 Portland, ME
Day 3 Portland, ME
Day 4 Camden, ME
Day 5 Acadia NP, ME
Day 6 Acadia NP, ME
Day 7 White Mountain, NH
Day 8 White Mountain, NH
Day 9 Newport, RI
Day 10 Boston, MA

We do have the flexibility to fly into Portland and out of Boston, unless the Boston to Portland drive is something to experience. Is Newport better than visiting Providence or other cities in RI?

Last edited by bvanderhaar; Aug 29, 17 at 10:14 pm
Old Aug 30, 17, 6:36 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Newport is better than Providence for a day trip, especially if you have good weather. If it's wet out then Providence would be better.

You should also look into flying out of PVD, if that's an option.
Old Aug 30, 17, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
Newport is better than Providence for a day trip, especially if you have good weather. If it's wet out then Providence would be better.

You should also look into flying out of PVD, if that's an option.
Thanks for the tip on Newport. PVD is an option to fly out. Would flying into Portland instead of Boston sense as well or is the drive up worth it?
Old Aug 30, 17, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
When precisely is this trip? If you hit the timing right in terms of foliage, the drive to Height of Land, in Maine (google it) is worthwhile.
Old Aug 30, 17, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bvanderhaar View Post
Thanks for the tip on Newport. PVD is an option to fly out. Would flying into Portland instead of Boston sense as well or is the drive up worth it?
Yes, unless you want to spend your first day in Boston.

Search this Thread