Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Mice in passengers areas at BOS

Mice in passengers areas at BOS

Old Aug 22, 17, 12:03 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Mice in passengers areas at BOS

My girlfriend, who is terrified of mice, was waiting for her flight at BOS terminal E last night when several mice started running around the floor near the gate. She sent me videos from her phone. I've messaged her back (she's in her home country, now) asking her permission to post these on YouTube and if she says OK I'll do so and link to them.

Today I called MassPort Logan facilities management and they were unsympathetic, saying that the Boston runways are covered with mice and they can't keep them out and all airports have this problem. I know Boston used to have a problem in 2012 when they were doing construction there but I didn't know they still had one. The management I spoke with made it seem like practically an everyday occurrence.

I've traveled a great deal and my passport is filled with stamps and my girlfriend has even more stamps in her passport than I do and I've never encountered mice in a passenger area or lounge. It wouldn't surprise me if they are common in the lower levels like in baggage handling but are they really as common in passenger areas of airports as Logan management says, and if so why have I and my girlfriend never noticed them before? When I did a Google search on the phrase "mice in airports" I only got 4 hits.

Last edited by inet32; Aug 22, 17 at 12:13 pm
inet32 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 12:25 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Programs: UA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Posts: 6,549
I wouldn't say it's common in my experience but it isn't uncommon. I've seen mice & other rodents along with insects from centipedes to cockroaches in terminals, gate areas & lounges.

The response is poor though. While what he said is a truth they can at least fake being proactive towards the situation.
Yoshi212 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 12:58 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
I've seen birds in the passengers areas of airports, in fact I saw one at Logan recently, also in terminal E, now that I think about it. Also at LHR and somewhere in South America, I think EZE.
inet32 is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 5:38 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Park, CO
Programs: Tegridy Elite
Posts: 5,148
A number of years ago I saw a little mouse run across the floor in one of the gate areas at DAY, my home airport. It ran under one of the vending machines.

It didn't really bother me but then again, I work in the rundown basement of a pre-WW II era building on a military installation...cockroaches, other bugs, rodents, pealing lead paint are not uncommon to encounter. We once had a raccoon regularly coming in through the drop ceiling after dark and rummaging through any food containers left out in the cubicles.

Agree with the other poster in that I'm surprised the airport's response didn't try to sound more like they were concerned or "shocked to hear this", even if that wasn't true. If it's true that they have a problem controlling them, I wonder if they should just keep some cats around, at least in the service areas, corridors, etc. and/or let into the passenger areas late at night. A few good barn cats can really take care of a lot of rodents!
84fiero is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 9:18 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: VPS
Programs: IHG Spire, Delta Silver
Posts: 3,880
The concern comes when mice at the airport become mice chewing wires on an airplane.
beachmouse is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 11:08 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,915
Pretty much every large commercial building in the world will be home to some rodents. In big cities even more so.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Aug 22, 17, 11:20 pm
  #7  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,936
The BA lounges at LHR are notorious for their mice.

Birds are common in the DL A terminal at DTW and were almost pets in the iconic TWA terminal at JFK, including in their Ambassador Club lounge.

I'm more concerned about animals on board, including unrestrained "emotional support" pets. I don't like the idea of an escaped live lobster nibbling on my toes or some mouse or cockroach eating the insulation on an aircraft's electrical wiring, nor do I want to be attacked by an out of control dog, pig, cat, turkey, miniature horse, etc.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 5:40 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Park, Metropolis
Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Posts: 4,093
Originally Posted by LondonElite View Post
Pretty much every large commercial building in the world will be home to some rodents. In big cities even more so.
This is true, everyone needs to realize this, most places do a good job at controlling this by having bait stations, traps in areas where the problem is likely to occur or has known activity. Most likely the gf was in shock/horrified by the incident, however the answer given by the MassPort Logan facilities management was very lame and uninterested showing a lack of concern, that's what concerns more.

Last edited by arollins; Aug 23, 17 at 6:17 am
arollins is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 9:52 am
  #9  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
I made a YouTube video from my GF's vids (with her permission) and added my own sound effects and posted it:

inet32 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 11:02 am
  #10  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 400
For someone that is terrified of mice, I am surprised she stuck around to recording it.

If this happened to my wife, she'll be gone hahahha
ponickka is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 3:19 pm
  #11  
Moderator: Information Desk, FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago, IL, USA
Programs: AA Gold
Posts: 12,285
Originally Posted by inet32 View Post
My girlfriend, who is terrified of mice, was waiting for her flight at BOS terminal E last night when several mice started running around the floor near the gate. She sent me videos from her phone. I've messaged her back (she's in her home country, now) asking her permission to post these on YouTube and if she says OK I'll do so and link to them.

Today I called MassPort Logan facilities management and they were unsympathetic, saying that the Boston runways are covered with mice and they can't keep them out and all airports have this problem. I know Boston used to have a problem in 2012 when they were doing construction there but I didn't know they still had one. The management I spoke with made it seem like practically an everyday occurrence.

I've traveled a great deal and my passport is filled with stamps and my girlfriend has even more stamps in her passport than I do and I've never encountered mice in a passenger area or lounge. It wouldn't surprise me if they are common in the lower levels like in baggage handling but are they really as common in passenger areas of airports as Logan management says, and if so why have I and my girlfriend never noticed them before? When I did a Google search on the phrase "mice in airports" I only got 4 hits.
If you remove the quotation marks, you'll get about half a million hits.
chgoeditor is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 5:17 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 64
Originally Posted by chgoeditor View Post
If you remove the quotation marks, you'll get about half a million hits.
I wanted the phrase "mice in airports". If you remove the quotation marks you'll get any website that has the word "airports" and the word "mice", e.g., a Daily Mail article about mice trained to sniff out terrorists at airports and TSA finding a 3D printed mouse part.

( Off-topic: I remember back in 1996 when XML 1.0 first came out, its advocates promised us a new, context-sensitive web where it would be possible to search for what you were actually looking for instead of just matching words and phrases. 21 years later the smartest people at Google still haven't found a way to do it)
inet32 is offline  
Old Aug 23, 17, 7:25 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: GUW
Posts: 467
I've seen mice in passenger areas in airports all over. I don't think it's a particularly rare or unusual thing.
Productivity is online now  
Old Aug 24, 17, 12:54 am
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Berlin, Germany; Toronto, Canada; and SW Florida, USA
Programs: UA 1K, BA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, and assorted others
Posts: 22,915
You don't need to do a google search. I can guarantee you that every airport in the world will be full of mice and other rodents. Some airports just do a better job of keeping them out of sight of the passenger areas.
LondonElite is offline  
Old Aug 24, 17, 1:05 am
  #15  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: DL Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 26,068
I've seemingly spent years in airports in 60 countries, and have seen lots of birds, assorted bugs, but never any mice or rats. Not surprised it's Logan, though. One of my least favorite US airports.
Jaimito Cartero is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread