Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

BOS>Bar Harbor>BOS , 4 days, 3 nights in Mid-Oct.

Old Jun 12, 17, 11:05 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

Now extended to 5 days and 4 nights.

What towns/villages would you overnight in for 3 nights? Leaving BOS at @ 10am on a Thur. in Mid-Oct. and heading to Bar Harbor/Acadia NP. I'm thinking of spending the 1st night between Portland and Brunswick; 2nd night in Rockland and Camden area and the 3rd night near Bar Harbor. We are not hikers but love to see the scenery and take pictures. The morning of the 4th day we'll drive back to BOS, return car, and Uber our way into Boston for 3 and 1/2 days.

What are your favorite stops between BOS and Bar Harbor? I have tourist info from the state and a couple maps. TA also offers a lots of tips.

Last edited by philemer; Jun 19, 17 at 9:59 pm Reason: new info
Old Jun 13, 17, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With 4 days and 3 nights, I'd just focus on Bar Harbor. You should really spend at least 2 nights in Bar Harbor and explore Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. Lobster pounds should be open through Columbus Day weekend; my favorite on MDI is Thurston's. If you want to make another stop, stay in Camden at a B&B for a night to enjoy the Penobscot Bay region.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
With 4 days and 3 nights, I'd just focus on Bar Harbor. You should really spend at least 2 nights in Bar Harbor and explore Mount Desert Island and Acadia National Park. Lobster pounds should be open through Columbus Day weekend; my favorite on MDI is Thurston's. If you want to make another stop, stay in Camden at a B&B for a night to enjoy the Penobscot Bay region.
Thanks for your opinion. Makes sense. I do love lobster too. ^
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:43 am

For a short trip, go right to Bar Harbor and maximize your time there. If you decide you're ready to leave a little early, maybe spend a night on the return in Portland and hit some of the restaurants.
Old Jun 13, 17, 11:42 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
I agree with Analise.
Old Jun 13, 17, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Would you recommend I-95/295 all the way or the slower Hwy 1, starting at Brunswick?
Old Jun 14, 17, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Would you recommend I-95/295 all the way or the slower Hwy 1, starting at Brunswick?
It will take you at least an extra hour but you'll get to drive through some quaint coastal towns and cross the Penobscot Bridge which has an observatory you can stop and visit. It's an incredible bridge. There are parts of Rt 1 in which you can go 55 mph and there are parts in which you will be driving in the middle of Camden and Ellsworth going maybe 15-25 mph. In Wiscasset you can stop at Reds for lobster roll. Reds is located before the bridge over the Sheepscot River.

So basically, if you want to make the drive as quick as possible and thereby go mostly on highways to get Bar Harbor, take 95/395/3. If you want a more scenic route that can have traffic (especially on a Friday), take Route 1 to Route 3.
Old Jun 14, 17, 8:53 am
Original Poster

It will take you at least an extra hour but you'll get to drive through some quaint coastal towns and cross the Penobscot Bridge which has an observatory you can stop and visit. It's an incredible bridge. There are parts of Rt 1 in which you can go 55 mph and there are parts in which you will be driving in the middle of Camden and Ellsworth going maybe 15-25 mph. In Wiscasset you can stop at Reds for lobster roll. Reds is located before the bridge over the Sheepscot River.

So basically, if you want to make the drive as quick as possible and thereby go mostly on highways to get Bar Harbor, take 95/395/3. If you want a more scenic route that can have traffic (especially on a Friday), take Route 1 to Route 3.
We'll be leaving BOS on a Thur. morning (10/12) so maybe we should see the coastal areas on the way north (less traffic than the weekend) and then take the Interstate back to BOS on Sunday afternoon when we leave Bar Harbor. Make sense?
Old Jun 14, 17, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
We'll be leaving BOS on a Thur. morning (10/12) so maybe we should see the coastal areas on the way north (less traffic than the weekend) and then take the Interstate back to BOS on Sunday afternoon when we leave Bar Harbor. Make sense?
Yes. I wouldn't worry too much about traffic in October but that seems like a reasonable plan.
Old Jun 14, 17, 9:51 am

What is this "traffic" word you're using? I'm unfamiliar
Old Jun 14, 17, 10:04 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav View Post
What is this "traffic" word you're using? I'm unfamiliar
You haven't been to Bar Harbor recently with what seemed like endless construction nearly EVERYWHERE.
Old Jun 14, 17, 10:06 am

Yes. Perfect.
Old Jun 14, 17, 10:22 am

You haven't been to Bar Harbor recently with what seemed like endless construction nearly EVERYWHERE.
We were up that way the weekend before last. It's construction season so maybe I've just tuned it out, but I don't recall a ton of traffic. I think we did it later on Saturday, though, when most people coming in for the week were already there. Maybe we just got lucky, though.
Old Jun 14, 17, 6:51 pm
Original Poster

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and we'll also be able to do some awesome leaf-peeping near the coast (mid-Oct.).
Old Jun 15, 17, 2:19 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I hope you're right - I think typically mid-October in that area is near the tail end of the foliage season, so if the cards fall just right, you might still catch some amazing color. If they don't, you might end up with more yellows/browns, which still won't be awful looking but not quite the full array of colors that are possible.

The good news is, coming up from BOS you should drive through somewhere where it is still peak color, my guess is that you're more likely to see it in coastal NH or far southern Maine.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: