4 days in Boston

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2017, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

4 days in Boston

Traveling shortly to Boston with OH, kind of a last minute trip

A few questions

I’m staying with a friend in Brookline.
Wonder, how is public transport to get there from the airport? Noticed it was one change, I guess it is fairly straight forward with the underground.

Just checked the weather, proper cold (compared to London) need to pack my Long Johns

Day 1
Attending a noon event at Harvard near the Science Center, are there any good breakfast places somebody can recommend in that area? Might have to make OH wait somewhere

After the workshop we plan to do some sightseeing in the area. I like to see interesting buildings and different university campuses so might go to see MIT.
Shopping in the afternoon, with £ being so low not sure about any bargains

Day 2
Sightseeing, perhaps a tour buss
Evening dinner, a friend recommended Yvonne's, something that others would or something else we should really go to especially if it is a bday dinner.

Day 3
More touristy things.
If my friend agrees, maybe a Harvard basketball match. I have never been to a NCAA game. Hockey would have been fun but Bruins are not playing when we are there.

Day 4
TBC, maybe museums and the Cheers bar. Think I walked passed it when I was there during a weekend ages ago.

Appreciate any input
Old Feb 14, 2017, 2:29 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Much of Brookline is on the B, C, or D branches of the Green Line. Much of Brookline is a good distance away from the Green Line, too.

1) there's an IHOP and a whole lot of coffee shops (the usual chains and independents). There's also Zoe's diner (a bit further away) that I know used to be good but no idea recently. No great discount shopping in that area, but check out the Harvard Coop while you're in the Square.

2) Yvonne's is old fashioned. It's going to have atmosphere, but it isn't known for it's food.

3) Harvard level basketball is active and technically it is NCAA basketball, but it's not like what you might see on TV with the big hoops schools.

4) The "real" Cheers Bar (where they filmed the exterior) looks nothing like the TV version on the inside. It's a good place to get a T-shirt or a branded shot glass, not much of a place for a pint. The Cheers at Faneuil Hall looks like the TV one, complete with stuffed figures of characters and more tourists than you could imagine.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions
Studied at a MIAA division uni so for sure this is a step up

Like the sound of ihop not been to one in decades The Coop looks for sure my OH will be happy at for a few hours

So Yvonne is not too good for food. Any suggestions. Some nice atmosphere, happy with burgers or a seafood
Place

Think I will skip the cheers bar

Cheers
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I think Harvard ice hockey might be more fun than basketball, but that's a personal preference ^

http://www.gocrimson.com/sports/mice/2016-17/schedule
Old Feb 15, 2017, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Most of Brookline is easily accessible on the Green Line, which unfortunately requires three seats from the airport, although is nonetheless fairly easy and efficient: You can take the Silver Line Bus to South Station, transfer to the Red Line to Park Street, and then transfer to the Green Line; or you can take the MassPort shuttle bus to the Blue Line station and take the Blue Line to Government Center and transfer to the Green Line. They both will take about the same time, although the Silver Line/Red Line/Green Line combo is free, saving you a couple of dollars per person. Whether to transfer to the B, C or D branch of the Green Line is of course dependent on where your friend lives, as is whether your friend is easily walkable from the Green Line.

For a much (MUCH) better, but also more expensive, breakfast than IHOP, Henrietta's Table, inside the Charles Hotel in Harvard Square, serves an excellent breakfast. The lobby of the hotel (with free wifi) also would be a comfortable place for your OH to wait.

The Harvard Coop was the coolest place in the world 30+ years ago, when it was a spectacularly good music and book store. Now that music and books are rarely purchased in bricks-and-mortar stores, is there any reason to go there today, other than to buy a Harvard t-shirt?

College hockey is a magnificent sport, and in Boston there are four excellent teams: Harvard, Boston University, Boston College and Northeastern. One or more of them is bound to have a game in town when you are visiting, especially if you are visiting over a weekend. This link will show you the schedules.

Definitely skip the Cheers bar.

So many great food options in Cambridge, Boston, and Brookline; it's hard to know where to start, though these two maps from eater.com are as good of a place to start as any:

http://boston.eater.com/maps/best-boston-restaurants-38
http://boston.eater.com/maps/best-ne...urants-heatmap
Old Feb 16, 2017, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by Blumie
College hockey is a magnificent sport, and in Boston there are four excellent teams: Harvard, Boston University, Boston College and Northeastern. One or more of them is bound to have a game in town when you are visiting, especially if you are visiting over a weekend. This link will show you the schedules.
You're right, of course - sorry I was narrow-minded in my response (I was thinking OP would be at Harvard and that's why wanted sports there...)
Old Feb 18, 2017, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for the suggestions. Friend lives near Summit Ave so easy walk from Greenline. Also the 66 bus to Harvard was handy.
Really lovely city, OH wants to move here and she came along to a second talk, she wanted to feel brainy at Harvard
Ihop was so busy, Coop was OK
Will decide today for basketball or hockey.
Visited a Mexican restaurant called Besitos that was pretty nice.

The Essential restaurant list looks really good, will have to recommend recommend it to my friend here.

Cheers again
Old Mar 6, 2018, 4:33 pm

Sounds like it may be too late, but a tour of Fenway Park is fun. Also, the hsitorical walking tours that begin at Boston Common throughout the day are great. One option is a North End (Italian Neighborhood) tour, another is the Common to Fanueil Hall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.