FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   BOS Parking (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1798611-bos-parking.html)

bcl00 Oct 26, 2016 9:15 am

BOS Parking

I haven't been a frequent traveler since 2012 but now I'm going to start flying every week out of BOS. I went to BOS last week and central parking was full so I had to park in the economy lot. This week, they were directing traffic within central parking due to capacity issues.

I've never been a fan of the off airport facilities due to the challenge of getting to them compared to the terminal. I also do not want to park outside in the winter and come back to a car covered in snow.

Can anyone else who has been going to BOS frequently lately comment on the typical parking availability in central parking? I know it's packed during vacation week. Is this becoming an issue on normal weeks on a regular basis? I see Massport has the website that indicates if parking is available.

I have an office in Burlington with covered parking so I could park there and take Uber to the airport but that ends up costing me some time.

bcl00 Oct 26, 2016 9:24 am

I just did some reading on the passport gold program. I think it might be worth my $200 this year and $100 every following year for the convenience.

Blumie Oct 26, 2016 11:22 am

Originally Posted by bcl00 (Post 27395388)
I just did some reading on the passport gold program. I think it might be worth my $200 this year and $100 every following year for the convenience.

That is the answer. Well worth it if you travel out of BOS with any regularity.

will2288 Oct 28, 2016 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Blumie (Post 27395887)
That is the answer. Well worth it if you travel out of BOS with any regularity.

I would agree, assuming you don't mind the cost or can expense it. Keep in mind, the daily rate is higher when on Passport Gold.

Not sure where you live or how long your trips are, but nothing beats a reliable car service, IMO. Meaningful time savings in both ends.

Legacygt Oct 28, 2016 12:05 pm

x2 on the car service.

Central Parking has been virtually inaccessible for the last couple years in my experience. Even if the signs all indicate parking is open, they are always re-routing people inside to the economy garage or worse.

Even in the case of a same day turnaround I've ended up in the e-garage. The e-garage isnt too bad and would address your snow issue, but I always inevitably miss the shuttle as i walk out the door and have to wait 15+ min for the next one. Its a pain.

PWMTrav Oct 28, 2016 12:26 pm

Yeah, x3 on the car - parking at work and getting a ride to the airport sounds like the way to go to me.

Blumie Oct 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 (Post 27405000)
Not sure where you live or how long your trips are, but nothing beats a reliable car service, IMO. Meaningful time savings in both ends.

Originally Posted by Legacygt (Post 27405168)
x2 on the car service.

Central Parking has been virtually inaccessible for the last couple years in my experience. Even if the signs all indicate parking is open, they are always re-routing people inside to the economy garage or worse.

Even in the case of a same day turnaround I've ended up in the e-garage. The e-garage isnt too bad and would address your snow issue, but I always inevitably miss the shuttle as i walk out the door and have to wait 15+ min for the next one. Its a pain.

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 27405286)
Yeah, x3 on the car - parking at work and getting a ride to the airport sounds like the way to go to me.

This obviously is a matter of personal preference, but it always was my preference to drive myself. (I am using the past tense because I no longer fly out of BOS with any regularity.) Yes, there is the time lost because you cannot be dropped off and picked up curbside, but then again you don't have the issue of trying to find your car service when you land. (Not sure if that's an issue at BOS. It can be a huge inconvenience at NYC's airports.) And with the Passport Gold program, parking quickly and conveniently never was an issue. So unless things have changed -- which of course is entirely possible -- for me the ability to drive myself to and from the airport and park quickly and easily either in the Terminal B Garage or Central Parking outweighed the minimal inconvenience of not being dropped off and picked up curbside.

bcl00 Oct 28, 2016 12:47 pm

I live about 50 miles from BOS. I have a reliable car service that is $150 round trip. Mileage ends up being $50 for round trip. I try to drive myself if the trip duration is less than 3 days since driving ends up being cheaper. The only exception is if I have to go early morning or more importantly, late night. I can't expense the parking membership but I'm expensing the daily parking. Nobody is going to get upset at an extra $5, they probably won't even notice.