Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Outlet shopping (near Rhode Island or Boston)

Old Sep 23, 2016, 8:26 am
me2
Original Poster

Programs: BA SPG Gold

Hi

We are travelling from UK to USA next month.

We will be driving from NYC to Newport RI for a few days, and ending our trip in Boston.

Please can somebody suggest a good place in this area for us to shop (for clothes from Gap / Tommy Hillfiger / Timberland or similar) in outlet stores

Many thanks in advance

Mark
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:04 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
There are a few options near Boston:

-Assembly Row in Somerville - you can take the subway to Assembly station on the Orange Line. Doesn't have any of the exact stores you listed but lots of other outlets like Banana Republic.
-Kittery, Maine has lots of outlet stores, it is less than an hour drive from Boston, and I'm pretty sure there is at least Gap there
-In Tilton, New Hampshire there is the Tanger Outlet Center which has Gap and Tommy. Probably two hours to drive from Boston.

Important to note is that Massachusetts is tax-free on clothing, New Hampshire is tax-free on everything (except hotels and restaurants), Maine has tax on nearly everything.

There might be options near Newport but I'm not sure where if there are.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:10 am
me2
Original Poster

Thanks for quick reply and v.useful comments about tax free shopping

Having looked at the map, i think it most realistic for us stay south of Boston for this trip. The Tanger Outlet looks good, but would probably be too far from where we are staying.

Mark
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:26 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
The Wrentham Premium Outlets are easily reachable from Route 95 north as you head towards Boston from Newport. Directions are included on their website and make sure you sign up for their shopper card. Clothing is not taxable in Massachusetts Try not to go on a weekend, but plan on spending quite a bit of time. There are also several restaurants located in the center.
http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/wrentham-village
Old Sep 23, 2016, 11:29 am
me2
Original Poster

Thank you
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:13 pm

I would second Wrentham. Great place to shop. Large with a lot of stores.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Wrentham is where we usually go. If you're driving from R.I. to Boston, it's pretty much the only place en route. Take I-95 north to Exit 6B, south on 495 two exits to exit 15 (route 1A), left at the light at the end of the ramp, pass under 495, and it will be on your right.

That said, many goods sold in outlet stores are made just for the outlets and are of lower quality than goods sold in the same chain's mainstream stores. This wasn't always the case, outlets started as places to get rid of overstocked items or (usually clearly marked) seconds with minor cosmetic defects, but has been since outlet shopping took off with the construction of centers such as this one. The extent of this varies. You'll be fine with Nike shoes, for example, or with electronics. You may be less fine with other types of clothing.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:41 am
me2
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments above

We will head to Wrentham as suggested

Mark
Old Sep 26, 2016, 8:56 am

Between NYC and Newport, you will pass the Clinton Crossing and Westbrook outlets in CT - 2 exits apart on 95. Many of the same stores as Wrentham with less traffic.

http://www.premiumoutlets.com/outlet/clinton-crossing

https://www.tangeroutlet.com/westbrook
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:02 am
me2
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice.

We shopped at Wrentham and everything was very smooth (except for the GBP / USD exchange rate !)

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.