Wiki Posts
Search

Boston lobster rolls, great views and other suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest, Hilton
Boston lobster rolls, great views and other suggestions

I am traveling with a group who is looking for unique Boston restaurants for lobster rolls, fun things to do - good views - harbor cruise, shopping. Any suggestions? We've all be there about 15 years ago.
I get a bit tired of making the plans so I thought I would ask the experts.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Kelly's Roast Beef at Revere Beach (http://www.kellysroastbeef.com/menu/). Despite the name, they make pretty good lobster rolls (although a bit expensive at $22) and there is a nice gazebo right on the beach where you can eat them. It's a beautiful beach to spend some time at.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

All lobster rolls are expensive. $22 seems about normal and is also about what they cost at most Maine lobster shacks I've been to.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
We made a weekend trip to Boston in July - neither of us had been in years (though I grew up in CT and visited somewhat often as a child). My husband had a lobster roll every day and his favorite was at Row 34. I think I had a crab cake and we both enjoyed the wide selection of craft beers. The oyster bar looked good too!

A friend who lives in Boston recommended The Boston Calendar for interesting events. We ended up doing a Thirsty Thursday craft beer harbor cruise (and I even found a discount coupon for it at Goldstar^) Craft beer & lobster rolls were our main priorities for the weekend^

(we did the Fri morning mashing-in tour at Sam Adams and then visited Harpoon brewery that afternoon after lunch at Row 34 - didn't do the tour at Harpoon, just enjoyed a few beers.)
Old Sep 2, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: DL 2MM/PM, HH LT <>, Amex Plat
If you want lobster rolls don't forget James Hook on Northern Ave.

It's more of a shack than a restaurant but still good.

Jim
Old Sep 2, 2016, 12:00 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Kelly's is a nice experience but their lobster meat is frozen. For the best Lobster Roll in the state, you need to go to Belle Isle, just across the border from Boston in Winthrop.

James Hook is very good, too.
Old Sep 2, 2016, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Kelly's is a nice experience but their lobster meat is frozen. For the best Lobster Roll in the state, you need to go to Belle Isle, just across the border from Boston in Winthrop.

James Hook is very good, too.
I went to Belle Isle for the first time last month, and although I did not have the lobster roll -- I went for the fried clams -- I enjoyed the place very much and absolutely would trust them for their lobster roll (even if "best in the state" is an impossible assertion to support!).
Old Sep 3, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
How about Jasper's Summer Shack? I haven't been in a long time but it was good from what I remember.
Neptune tends to get the rave reviews now apparently
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...ter-rolls.html
Old Sep 5, 2016, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
How about Jasper's Summer Shack? I haven't been in a long time but it was good from what I remember.
Neptune tends to get the rave reviews now apparently
http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...ter-rolls.html
Jasper White's is just meh. Neptune is good but a total cluster that IMHO makes it not worth it.

Last edited by Moderator2; Sep 6, 2016 at 3:11 am Reason: Removal of veiled expletive, per FT rules
Old Sep 15, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
There isn't a view but the food is fantastic. Go to Row 34! You won't regret it....and yes they have lobster rolls.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:19 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Madone59
There isn't a view but the food is fantastic. Go to Row 34! You won't regret it....and yes they have lobster rolls.
Heh - you're certaintly right, definitely no view there. (Though there is a patio that's right on a street corner, with a nice view of the underpass if you're a fan of exhaust fumes. )

I'd say Row 34 is among my top 5 lobster rolls in Boston. Personally, I honestly don't think it's worth the $27, but if you were on someone's expense account, then I'd definitely encourage you to try it (and the delicious oysters and beers there, which are also all overpriced).
Old Sep 15, 2016, 2:54 pm

I don't think we had a lobster roll anywhere in Boston that was less than $22, so to pay $27 for a version that was really good (I stated up-thread that Row 34 was my husband's favorite of the trip) isn't a big deal to me.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:14 am

Wow, $27 for a lobster roll? I've forgotten how spoiled we are up here!

Row 34 is probably the best of its kind in Boston. It's definitely worth a visit if you can't drive two hours north to Eventide in Portland.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 8:49 am

We've been planning our beer & lobster Portland visit for a while too - Boston happened to win this summer so we could visit friends. I fondly remember going to maine in the summer eating lobster - and I didnt really love lobster then either ;-)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
I think the Row 34 lobster roll is a 6/10. The quality is fine, but the cost/value isn't there. They give such little meat it is robbery. For the same price point, I vote Nepture in the north end. Much much better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.