Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

2016 Fall foliage drive / Photography

Old Jul 13, 16, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, UA

I am looking for 2-3 day fall foliage drive / photography this fall in New England. I did it in Colorado last year and it was beautiful. I can't seem to get coherent info on google. All the FT threads are 5-6 years old.

Most other blogs seem to list hem but with out the pictures I am not sure what I am signing up for. I like Blue Ridge mountains, but they aren't in NE and I hear NE is beautiful.

So my question is - which is/are the must see or the best scenic drive fall drives in NE? Any links to those pics will be really helpful.
Old Jul 13, 16, 3:52 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I don't have links to pictures of these routes, but I have taken them all myself and can vouch for the fact that there is plenty of photo-worthy foliage scenery along all of them:

-In Maine, US Route 201 from Fairfield to Jackman is quite nice, and if you want to go even further away from civilization, take Maine Routes 6/15 from Jackman to Greenville.

-In New Hampshire, there are 3 options: NH Route 16 between Jackson and Gorham; US Route 302 between Bartlett and Twin Mountain; and I-93 between Plymouth and I-91.

-In Vermont, take US Route 4 between Rutland and Hartford.

I hope that helps.
Old Aug 3, 16, 3:12 pm

In Vermont, drive route 100 from Waterbury through smugglers notch and then on to Jay.
Loop back through BTV and take in the colors of the ADK across the lake.
Old Aug 4, 16, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post

-In New Hampshire, there are 3 options: NH Route 16 between Jackson and Gorham; US Route 302 between Bartlett and Twin Mountain; and I-93 between Plymouth and I-91.

I'd add a fourth: the Kancamagus Highway (Rte. 112) through the southern White Mountains between Lincoln and Conway. Don't be misled by the name "highway," though. It's a two-lane road and can get crowded/slow in foliage season. (So can just about any other scenic New England road, though.)
Old Aug 6, 16, 2:12 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
I'd add a fourth: the Kancamagus Highway (Rte. 112) through the southern White Mountains between Lincoln and Conway. Don't be misled by the name "highway," though. It's a two-lane road and can get crowded/slow in foliage season. (So can just about any other scenic New England road, though.)
Absolutely, I've done "The Kanc" as well and it is also great. Forgot about that one!
Old Aug 6, 16, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quabbin Reservoir

Old Aug 19, 16, 11:24 am

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Mad River Glen ski area in Waitsfield, VT will be running their single chair to the top of General Stark Mountain for foliage rides September 24-25, Oct 1-2 and Oct 8-9. Definitely worth a stop during foliage season.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: