FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   For Maine FTers -- Driving time (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1774535-maine-fters-driving-time.html)

Analise Jun 26, 2016 9:07 am

For Maine FTers -- Driving time

Tomorrow, how long will the drive take between Portland Head Light and Boothbay Harbor assuming I want to arrive at 6pm? How is the traffic on a Monday afternoon especially on Rt 27 and Rt 1? Thanks.

PWMTrav Jun 26, 2016 2:54 pm

Assuming you avoid 295 entirely in favor of Rt 1's scenery, it's normally about 2 hours between those two points. We don't have rush hour traffic here. However, we do have summer, and summer brings tourists, who often drive slow on Rt 1. I'd budget 2.5 hrs for the drive if I were going, and pad that a little more, maybe 15 extra mins, if 6pm is a firm arrival time.

I'd like to tell you that Monday afternoon heading north isn't too bad on the tourist traffic, but this time of year it's really hard to predict and you never know who you'll get stuck behind. It will be really nice out, though. Enjoy the ride.

EDIT: If you really need to save some time, you can opt for 295 up to Rt 1 around the Brunswick area. You'll basically take the highway past Freeport, then get on 1 at the next available opportunity. That'd probably put you closer to the 2 hour range (Google maps says 90 mins for that, but I'd still add 30 mins for the mileage you'll cover on 1 and 27).

Analise Jun 27, 2016 5:55 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 26834354)
Assuming you avoid 295 entirely in favor of Rt 1's scenery, it's normally about 2 hours between those two points. We don't have rush hour traffic here. However, we do have summer, and summer brings tourists, who often drive slow on Rt 1. I'd budget 2.5 hrs for the drive if I were going, and pad that a little more, maybe 15 extra mins, if 6pm is a firm arrival time.

I'd like to tell you that Monday afternoon heading north isn't too bad on the tourist traffic, but this time of year it's really hard to predict and you never know who you'll get stuck behind. It will be really nice out, though. Enjoy the ride.

EDIT: If you really need to save some time, you can opt for 295 up to Rt 1 around the Brunswick area. You'll basically take the highway past Freeport, then get on 1 at the next available opportunity. That'd probably put you closer to the 2 hour range (Google maps says 90 mins for that, but I'd still add 30 mins for the mileage you'll cover on 1 and 27).

Thank you. I will opt for taking 295 - Rt 1 - Rt 27. I thought Google maps was being optimistic too. With the summer, I didn't know how bad Monday afternoon traffic could be. I'm now thinking about stopping at Freeport to do a couple errands and then go directly to Boothbay Harbor. I will make sure I'm in the car leaving Freeport by 4 PM. Thanks again.