Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Boston - Beer festivals, and hotel neighborhoods

Old Jun 4, 16, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)

Trying to plan a weekend trip to Boston before the end of July - no preference for the weekend based on work or anything on this end. Found a couple of beer festivals that look interesting - anyone have experience? June 18 -Sierra Nevada Beer Camp. July 15-16, Boston Beer & BBQ fest. Event Brite has a few other festivals listed as well (husband a home brewer, we love craft beer, so beer is always on the agenda when we travel)

Also, having a dang hard time figuring out neighborhood to stay. I know in NYC where I like to be, but haven't been to Boston since 1998 (and then - stayed with friends) I guess it's sort of all ok if there's a subway station nearby and places within walking distances for eating/drinking? (am looking at Back Bay, some waterfront areas - in Hilton, Hyatt, or Marriott chains but not wedded as we aren't using points to book a room -would just like to earn some)

General plans include drinking, eating, some tourism (because it's been so long since we were there) and shopping- at least window shopping.
Old Jun 5, 16, 10:19 am

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Back Bay, Faneuil Hall area and waterfront are all well located. South Boston Waterfront (aka Seaport) is new and hopping, but a bit removed from the rest of the city. It does have the Harpoon Brewery, though, with a well regarded tour, which your husband might like.
Old Jun 6, 16, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Out of my Element View Post
It does have the Harpoon Brewery, though, with a well regarded tour, which your husband might like.
Good to know - thanks! Am currently leaning toward Hyatt Regency, but a couple of Marriott properties rank really high on TA (Residence Inn Back Bay is 11/82 for Boston hotels?)
Old Jun 6, 16, 3:13 pm

Location: Box Three Five Oh, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Which Hyatt? We have a few of them!
Old Jun 6, 16, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency, near Boston Common.

Last edited by Hoyaheel; Jun 6, 16 at 3:57 pm
Old Jun 6, 16, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

OK, we've booked the air July 14-18 so now we just have to figure out where we want to stay and what we want to do. I'm hoping for the Beer & BBQ fest on Fri night (Sat afternoon session is already sold out). I think my husband wants to do the Sam Adams Mashing-In tour on Friday morning.

Assuming at some point we walk some or all of the Freedom Trail, are there notable places we should stop along the way for food or drink? (any type of food - we love it all - and beer, wine, cocktails, cider - I'm easy)
Old Jun 7, 16, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Assuming at some point we walk some or all of the Freedom Trail, are there notable places we should stop along the way for food or drink?
Retrospection & Google tell me this is an annoying & vague question so I rescind it. I've found some listicles to get me started & have been looking at Yelp & Chowhound for food ideas....

Now if I can figure out how/why to get the 7 day bus/subway pass (must be on a Charlie ticket, not a card?).....
Old Jun 13, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Hoyaheel View Post
Retrospection & Google tell me this is an annoying & vague question so I rescind it. I've found some listicles to get me started & have been looking at Yelp & Chowhound for food ideas....

Now if I can figure out how/why to get the 7 day bus/subway pass (must be on a Charlie ticket, not a card?).....
For the T passes:

CharlieCards (the contactless cards), if you don't have one, this page has the theoretical hours you can pick one up from station agents (roaming, not always easy to find) at selected stations. They are not available out of the ticket vending machines.

http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/charlie/?id=5592

The 1-Day or 7-Day link pass can now be loaded on a CharlieCard (reusable when the pass expires, or can be loaded onto an existing Card if you have one), but will only be usable on Subway and Local Bus (this includes all parts of the Silver Line) if on a Card. If you want to use commuter rail zone 1A (unlikely) or the Inner Harbor ferries (more likely for a tourist), you need to buy it on a disposable CharlieTicket.* That's also easier if you don't want to search out a CharlieCard on arrival, since every ticket/fare vending machine can dispense the pass on a ticket. The only downside is that your pass is on a less durable magnetic stripe ticket which has to be inserted into the faregate or farebox, versus just tapped on the reader.

*Tickets are needed for commuter rail and boats because those modes do not have contactless card readers. Yes, we're aware that it's been about 10 years since the cards first showed up...

Hope this helps the OP, and possibly others, and isn't a repeat of info you already know. Sorry if that's the case!
Old Jun 13, 16, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Very helpful to me - thanks! Probably will just go with the ticket and not get the reloadable card - easier, no immediate need for a reloadable option etc.

Search this Thread