Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Best Decent Price for Transportation from Logan Airport

Old May 24, 16, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors

So i will be going to Boston and i do not want to drive around Boston at all. This is my first time going to Boston. I'm going to Boston to see the Red Sox and Yankees play.I did find some very good hotels in Back Bay. Like the Hilton. What's the best transportation from Logan Airport to the Hilton in Back Bay? I did look at a private driver but that was like $200 roundtrip.
Old May 24, 16, 5:13 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
If you want cheapest, you can't beat free - you can hop on the Silver Line at any terminal at BOS, transfer to the Red Line at South Station (heading toward Alewife), transfer to a Green Line "E" Train at Park Street, then get off at Prudential station. Since the Silver Line is free to board at BOS, the rest of your journey is also free.

If you want something not shared with other riders, a regular taxi cab is usually okay and would be much cheaper than a private driver service.
Old May 24, 16, 7:56 pm

UberX would be a lot less than a taxi. Lots of good limo companies would do the ride for half of what you found. A taxi is a fine option, as well.
Old May 25, 16, 9:41 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Originally Posted by lo2e View Post
If you want cheapest, you can't beat free - you can hop on the Silver Line at any terminal at BOS, transfer to the Red Line at South Station (heading toward Alewife), transfer to a Green Line "E" Train at Park Street, then get off at Prudential station. Since the Silver Line is free to board at BOS, the rest of your journey is also free.

If you want something not shared with other riders, a regular taxi cab is usually okay and would be much cheaper than a private driver service.
Agreed on the Silver Line being the best value for the money (can't beat free!), though having to do 2 transfers is kind of a pain. The other way to do it by public transportation would be:

1. Take the Massport bus that goes to the blue line at the Airport Station
2. Take the Blue Line toward Bowdoin and get off at Government Center
3. Transfer to the Green "E" Line and take it toward Heath St., getting off at Prudential.

That's probably a little quicker but is still two transfers and will cost you some money ($2.10 if you pay by CharlieCard, more if by CharlieTicket.)

I'd probably take a taxi if you have luggage. It'll run you around $30 including tips and all Boston cabs by law must take credit cards.
Old May 25, 16, 10:38 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
$5 for the Logan Express Back Bay Shuttle - stops at Hynes Convention Center around the corner from the Hilton.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...ress/back-bay/
Old May 26, 16, 8:55 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by octr202 View Post
$5 for the Logan Express Back Bay Shuttle - stops at Hynes Convention Center around the corner from the Hilton.

https://www.massport.com/logan-airpo...ress/back-bay/
+1

If you're willing to spend a few bucks, I wouldn't bother with Silver Line and the multiple transfers - will take a while and it's not a fun experience if you have bags. If you're heading into the Back Bay, the Logan Express bus mentioned above is your best bet.

However, the price will be going up slightly in a few days:

Effective 6/1/2016, Back Bay Logan Express fares will change:

-one-way fare: $7.50 by credit card
-one-way fare w/valid MBTA Charlie Card: $3.00
(If you have enough lead-time, I can mail you a Charlie Card so that you can just load it with money when you get to BOS. There are automated MBTA machines at the arrival level at each terminal.)
Old May 26, 16, 10:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
UberX is definitely a preference over a taxi. Booking a car service is a big waste. If you want a black car/SUV, Uber has those too.
Old May 31, 16, 7:07 am

Thumbs up

This is the best way because it's easy and totally free. You didn't need to spend money.
Old May 31, 16, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where does Uber pick up at BOS? I use Uber to the airport but never tried to get one from the airport. I also wonder why there is no Logan Express service to Newton or Waltham.
Old May 31, 16, 9:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AA Advantage, and HHonors
I will go with the Logan Express Shuttle since me and a couple of other people will be going and we will also be having bags
Old May 31, 16, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Analise View Post
This is the best way because it's easy and totally free. You didn't need to spend money.
Of course the T is a popular option, but for me $20-30 to not spend time on three buses/subways and two transfers in the summer heat, with bags, is money very well spent.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Where does Uber pick up at BOS? I use Uber to the airport but never tried to get one from the airport. I also wonder why there is no Logan Express service to Newton or Waltham.
Uber/UberX picks up at the limo pick up area for whatever terminal you arrive. It's pretty convenient, just look for the purple limos signs. The non-Back Bay Logan Express is really designed for people living outside the I-95 loop to park there and take the bus in. People from the west are able to use Framingham, which is right off I-90. Probably not many people inside 95 would want to drive and park at Logan Express, and they can take other public transportation to the airport. My guess is most of their revenue comes from parking fees, so a bus that services people that don't park wouldn't be viable.

Originally Posted by xxwerftxx View Post
I will go with the Logan Express Shuttle since me and a couple of other people will be going and we will also be having bags
For three people, Logan Express is $22.50. For about the same, you could take UberX door-to-door.
Old May 31, 16, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by will2288 View Post
Of course the T is a popular option, but for me $20-30 to not spend time on three buses/subways and two transfers in the summer heat, with bags, is money very well spent.
Not me. Changing trains is easy to Back Bay; that's how we commute in NYC....but not for free!

If I need car service to BOS for an early morning flight when the T hasn't begun its service, I'll use Uber or Lyft. Boston taxis are a rip off.
Old Jun 6, 16, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Late to the game here, but the Hynes Convention Center stop on the Green Line's B, C and D trains is just as convenient to the Hilton as the Prudential Stop on the E. So when one transfers to the Green Line at Park Street, just hop on the first "outbound" train that comes. Notwithstanding the pain of having to make two transfers, this is a surprisingly easy and fast (and free!) trip. Typically under 45 minutes door-to-door including wait time, transfer time and walking time.
Old Jun 8, 16, 8:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Analise View Post
If I need car service to BOS for an early morning flight when the T hasn't begun its service, I'll use Uber or Lyft. Boston taxis are a rip off.
+1 I've actively chosen to NOT take a Boston cabs for 5+ years now. (The list of griefs I have is way to long to enumerate.)

Do keep in mind that pick-ups from ride-sharing services have been severely limited due to some recent "clarification" to Massport rules.

For instance:
https://www.boston.com/news/business...-logan-airport

Depending on time of day, it's still possible to find a ride-share driver who happens to be a livery vehicle and properly registered with Massport - but it's not as easy as in the past.
Old Jun 8, 16, 10:10 am

Programs: Delta Silver (2019)
Originally Posted by JY1024 View Post
There are automated MBTA machines at the arrival level at each terminal.)
We're going to want the 7 day MBTA pass (which apparently can only be loaded on a Charlie ticket?) Is that something I can get at the airport machines or do I need to wait to get to a different station?

(I think we're going to take the Silver Line - bus, right? My husband and I are fighting over this - to South Station and then the red line one stop to ...I forget but we'll be at the Hyatt Regency downtown....) Thanks!!

Search this Thread