FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   What to do with one day in Boston with young kids? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1763649-what-do-one-day-boston-young-kids.html)

Big4Flyer May 3, 2016 3:16 pm

What to do with one day in Boston with young kids?

I'll be in Hartford, CT for 2 weeks with my wife and our two young kids (ages 2 and 4) and we want to take one of our weekend days to go to Boston. We would probably get into town around 10am or so on Sunday and leave whenever we get bored/tired. Any tips for what we could do/see with such limited time?

Our interests include historical sites or just walking around if there's interesting things to see. If there are places that are good for the kids to run around where they won't be bothering others or crushed by crowds are great too. Are there any walking routes that would let us see what represents Boston? Also, if there's any family-friendly historical sites outside of the immediate city, we'd be interested in those as well.

Thanks for any tips!

Analise May 3, 2016 4:42 pm

Walking routes? One of the best is the Freedom Trail. The kids can make sure you are following the brick line as you pass 18th century cemeteries and the like. Not sure how much a 2 year old can take but maybe the 4 year old will like it.

There is also the New England Aquarium. Since you'll be in Hartford, have you also considered a day trip to Mystic Seaport?

Efrem May 4, 2016 6:38 am

Weather permitting, ride the Swan Boats in the Public Garden.

TWToKM May 4, 2016 6:47 am

Agree with the swan boats. A friend of mine was recently in town with her 3-year old and we went to the swan boats in the Public Gardens. Even in the rain, it was fun. We (included a 2 year old, 3 year old, and a 5 month old) also hit the Make Way for Ducklings statue at the corner of the Gardens (based on the children's book) and the playground at the Frog Pond (in Boston Common, which is right across the street from the Public Gardens). All of these are not necessarily historic, but great for young kids, and very close to some historic sites and the Freedom Trail. Boston Children's Museum is also very popular among my friends with young kids.

MSPeconomist May 4, 2016 7:13 am

There are some historic ships in Boston that can be visited.

I agree with the Boston Commons/Public Gardens suggestions and the Freedom Trail (in nice weather), but be prepared for cobblestone streets and some inclines. It might not be easy with a stroller.

Out of my Element May 4, 2016 7:28 am

Swan Boats if the weather is good
Children's Museum if the weather is not good
Public Garden either way to the Ducklings statues. Make sure you've read "Make Way For Ducklings" to them first!

Big4Flyer May 4, 2016 11:24 am

Thanks for the tips, didn't know about the Swan boats. Sounds like the kids would enjoy those. The mystic seaport aquarium is actually our plan for the day before. It looks like we could do the public garden and the freedom trail and get a good taste of the city that would be enjoyable for both us and the kids.

Since the freedom trail is rather long, are there any segments that are more significant/worthwhile than others?

Out of my Element May 4, 2016 2:07 pm

with little ones I'd stick to at most the North End to Faneuil Hall then to the Old State House, and then cut over to the Common and Gardens.

Efrem May 5, 2016 11:58 am

Your kids won't be much interested in any of the Freedom Trail, though mommies and daddies generally are. So, as regards which parts to see before the kids get bored out of their minds: take a look at a map like this one and talk it over with your wife. The kids will be equally uninterested in all of them.

Jimmie76 May 7, 2016 2:54 pm

I remember the museum of science being extremely good when I was younger.

Efrem May 8, 2016 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 26590766)

MoS is still great, but for older kids than 2 and 4. If there are any museums on the schedule for that age group, it would be the Children's Museum (post 6), and that mostly for the four-year-old.

Out of my Element May 9, 2016 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Jimmie76 (Post 26590766)

Same here. And then I went back about 5 years ago and it felt like 75% of it was exactly the same as it was in the 1970s. It really hasn't kept up with the times.