Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Best Brewery Tour near Boston

Old Mar 13, 16, 3:28 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Will be in Boston for a 3 day weekend and definitely wanted to do a brewery tour. Obviously Sam Adams is the big name but is it the best brew tour or is there another more worthwhile option?
Old Mar 13, 16, 5:04 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
A handful of years ago I went on the Harpoon tour and it was quite good.
Old Mar 13, 16, 5:12 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
Yeah, Harpoon is good. There is a silver line stop right across the street.
Old Mar 13, 16, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Or take a day trip to Portland and hit up Rising Tide, Maine Beer Co, Allagash, Shipyard, and others.
Old Mar 14, 16, 12:58 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Or take a day trip to Portland and hit up Rising Tide, Maine Beer Co, Allagash, Shipyard, and others.
Will have to save that for another trip, bug fan of Allagash though. I've only got a Thurs afternoon, Fri, and Sat. Leaving Sun morning.
Old Mar 14, 16, 12:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Harpoon's tour used to be much more intimate when they were a smaller operation (but also had fewer tours). Now it's a well-oiled machine that runs all throughout the day, I believe. If I had any visitors in town who wanted to fun brewery tour experience, I'd definitely chose Harpoon as my top choice.

If you're looking for smaller brewies to visit (more for the craft beer and less for the tour), let us know. I'm sure we can also all chime in with our favorites.
Old Mar 14, 16, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Already knew about Sam Adams (and done it before but always worth another visit).

Harpoon is a new one on me so that's gone on the list so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll all for more beer and less tour but we all know that the tour is the pennance we have to pay to get the beer!
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:00 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
I'll all for more beer and less tour but we all know that the tour is the pennance we have to pay to get the beer!
I haven't been on the Sam Adams tour in a long time, but based on what I recall, you definitely get the opportunity to put down more beer on the Harpoon tour.
Old Mar 16, 16, 12:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I arrive on a Thursday to Logan at 1pm. No checked bags to collect. Going to make a bee line for hotel. Sam Adams has a last tour at 3pm. If I arrive by 230, anyone know if I will have a problem getting on the last tour? They don't take reservations unfortunately.
Old Mar 16, 16, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HH, MR elite. Fly mostly AA/WN/B6.
Originally Posted by TMM1982 View Post
I arrive on a Thursday to Logan at 1pm. No checked bags to collect. Going to make a bee line for hotel. Sam Adams has a last tour at 3pm. If I arrive by 230, anyone know if I will have a problem getting on the last tour? They don't take reservations unfortunately.
Before you hop the T to go down there, call 'em up from Logan at (617) 368-5080 and see how the crowds look.
Old Mar 17, 16, 12:52 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220 View Post
Before you hop the T to go down there, call 'em up from Logan at (617) 368-5080 and see how the crowds look.
Good idea.
Old Apr 3, 16, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
well I did the Harpoon tour.

Not impressed at all. Hard to hear the guide - spoke far too fast. Too many 'gags' which failed.

Managed to taste 4 beers - very small samples though - two mouthfulls and that was it.

Whole experience then marred by being totally ignored at the bar for at least 5 minutes. It was not busy (Tuesday at noon!)

I left feeling annoyed.
Old Apr 3, 16, 3:00 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I only ended up doing the Sam Adams tour and really enjoyed it.

Search this Thread