FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Best Brewery Tour near Boston (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1752732-best-brewery-tour-near-boston.html)

TMM1982 Mar 13, 2016 3:28 pm

Best Brewery Tour near Boston

Will be in Boston for a 3 day weekend and definitely wanted to do a brewery tour. Obviously Sam Adams is the big name but is it the best brew tour or is there another more worthwhile option?

lo2e Mar 13, 2016 5:04 pm

A handful of years ago I went on the Harpoon tour and it was quite good.

swiftaw Mar 13, 2016 5:12 pm

Yeah, Harpoon is good. There is a silver line stop right across the street.

gfunkdave Mar 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Or take a day trip to Portland and hit up Rising Tide, Maine Beer Co, Allagash, Shipyard, and others.

TMM1982 Mar 14, 2016 12:58 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave (Post 26328492)
Or take a day trip to Portland and hit up Rising Tide, Maine Beer Co, Allagash, Shipyard, and others.

Will have to save that for another trip, bug fan of Allagash though. I've only got a Thurs afternoon, Fri, and Sat. Leaving Sun morning.

JY1024 Mar 14, 2016 12:42 pm

Harpoon's tour used to be much more intimate when they were a smaller operation (but also had fewer tours). Now it's a well-oiled machine that runs all throughout the day, I believe. If I had any visitors in town who wanted to fun brewery tour experience, I'd definitely chose Harpoon as my top choice.

If you're looking for smaller brewies to visit (more for the craft beer and less for the tour), let us know. I'm sure we can also all chime in with our favorites. :)

UKtravelbear Mar 14, 2016 3:57 pm

Already knew about Sam Adams (and done it before but always worth another visit).

Harpoon is a new one on me so that's gone on the list so any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I'll all for more beer and less tour but we all know that the tour is the pennance we have to pay to get the beer!

JY1024 Mar 16, 2016 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 26332451)
I'll all for more beer and less tour but we all know that the tour is the pennance we have to pay to get the beer!

I haven't been on the Sam Adams tour in a long time, but based on what I recall, you definitely get the opportunity to put down more beer on the Harpoon tour.

TMM1982 Mar 16, 2016 12:05 pm

I arrive on a Thursday to Logan at 1pm. No checked bags to collect. Going to make a bee line for hotel. Sam Adams has a last tour at 3pm. If I arrive by 230, anyone know if I will have a problem getting on the last tour? They don't take reservations unfortunately.

BearX220 Mar 16, 2016 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by TMM1982 (Post 26341603)
I arrive on a Thursday to Logan at 1pm. No checked bags to collect. Going to make a bee line for hotel. Sam Adams has a last tour at 3pm. If I arrive by 230, anyone know if I will have a problem getting on the last tour? They don't take reservations unfortunately.

Before you hop the T to go down there, call 'em up from Logan at (617) 368-5080 and see how the crowds look.

TMM1982 Mar 17, 2016 12:52 am

Originally Posted by BearX220 (Post 26343041)
Before you hop the T to go down there, call 'em up from Logan at (617) 368-5080 and see how the crowds look.

Good idea.

UKtravelbear Apr 3, 2016 12:22 pm

well I did the Harpoon tour.

Not impressed at all. Hard to hear the guide - spoke far too fast. Too many 'gags' which failed.

Managed to taste 4 beers - very small samples though - two mouthfulls and that was it.

Whole experience then marred by being totally ignored at the bar for at least 5 minutes. It was not busy (Tuesday at noon!)

I left feeling annoyed.

TMM1982 Apr 3, 2016 3:00 pm

I only ended up doing the Sam Adams tour and really enjoyed it.