Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Delta/Westjet at Boston - 1.5 hrs? Check or Carry?

Old Mar 11, 16, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Family of 4 have a ticket (one reservation) from LHR to YYZ via Logan. Not been there before. We're GB/Canadian with Nexus/Global entry)

We're on a 1.5 hour connection time which seems tight. Flying Delta (LHR to Logan) into Logan E and then connecting (LHR to YYZ Toronto) flying out of terminal A with Westjet.

As we've not flown to logan before, quick question - will the bags be checked through or do I have to collect the bags and re-check??

Had hoped that we would get bags checked through but I think not from what I am reading??? I have to collect at the terminal and hand back in to transfer them??

Now I am wondering whether to not check bags and just take carry on instead??

Any thoughts??
Old Mar 11, 16, 9:05 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Welcome to FlyerTalk, rightotroam! ^

I could be mistaken, but I seem to recall that if you booked your flights on Delta's site or through something like Expedia as one ticket, they should be able to check your bags all the way to YYZ.

That said, regardless of whether they check your bags through to YYZ or not, 1.5 hours seems really tight of a connection to me and might be dependent on several things going rather perfectly to make it - flight is on time or close, no customs or immigration issues, security line in terminal A isn't long (though having Nexus/Global will help), etc. But at least if you booked the flights as one ticket, if something happens and you don't make your BOS-YYZ flight, Delta should be able to get you on the next flight out, and I'd imagine either they or one of their partners have flights later in the day to get to YYZ.

If you're able and don't have to tote heavy luggage from one terminal to the other - absolute quickest way to get from terminal E to terminal A is to use the pedestrian walkway across to the central parking garage then the walkway from the garage to terminal A.
Old Mar 11, 16, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Bit unsure as at Newark we've always had to collect our bags and manually transfer them, even when transferring to a canadian airport.
I thought it pretty tight bit Delta said it was OK
I guess we'll see......
Old Mar 11, 16, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 5MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by rightotroam View Post
As we've not flown to logan before, quick question - will the bags be checked through or do I have to collect the bags and re-check??
On all flights from LHR to the U.S. (and in fact on all international flights to the U.S., except for flights departing from select airports where passengers clear U.S. immigration and customs prior to departure), one must claim their checked luggage, clear U.S. customs, and then recheck the bags. (They will be pre-tagged at LHR, but still you must reclaim them and then check them back in after clearing customs.) If you are able to carry on your bags rather than check them, I absolutely would do that.
Old Mar 12, 16, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by Blumie View Post
On all flights from LHR to the U.S. (and in fact on all international flights to the U.S., except for flights departing from select airports where passengers clear U.S. immigration and customs prior to departure), one must claim their checked luggage, clear U.S. customs, and then recheck the bags...
This is changing, in a few instances. If you're making an INTL->INTL connection at a few airports (MIA, DFW, possibly others) on AA and maybe others, your bags get tagged as being in transit, and they're transferred to your connecting flight without your having to collect them in the U.S. You still have to go through US immigration & security.

This doesn't help OP, however.
Old Mar 13, 16, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I don't think BOS offers the INTL-INTL bag through check option yet. Even if it did, I wouldn't try this connection by myself, much less with a family of 4; just too many things can go wrong due to needing to switch terminals. If you do go for it, it's a much better idea to walk between E and A (the route is through the parking garage and is marked) than to take the inter-terminal shuttle.
Old Mar 21, 16, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Just to close it off, we made it!

Yes, we had to collect bags and transfer them at the transfer desk.The staff actually showed us the best way to get between terminals and took us to the lift!! Parking garage route was the way to go.

We were lucky in that the flight was early, Boston was quiet and the connecting plane was a little late.

With global entry/Nexus we got TSA precehck and fast-tracked through immigration at both ends. Without it, the connection would have been too tight. Well worth it at $50 for 5 years!

To add amusement, we narrowly avoided the winter storm that was heading for Boston too.

So, note to self, if flight network suggests a short connection, we will ignore it!!

Thanks for the advice all - calmed me down somewhat!
Old Mar 22, 16, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat (2.90MM), DL GM and Flying Colonel (1.04MM); Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by rightotroam View Post
Just to close it off, we made it!...
Glad it worked out. Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: