Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

How is Burlington, Vermont in February

Old Jan 26, 16, 5:33 pm
Original Poster

Bitterly cold and just miserable, or adorable?

I am genuinely asking. We live in New York and my wife would like to go somewhere for Valentine's Day. Yes I am cheaping out and do not want to pay for two flights to Florida this late but was wondering if Vermont this time of the year is any good. It might be fun to stay at a Ski Resort, but wife does not ski and Burlington does look like a lovely city in general. But I don't want to drive all the way up there if in actuality it just sucks in winter, nobody goes outside and there is nothing to do.
Old Jan 27, 16, 7:18 am

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Burlington is a cute town, there is a great ski resort there (Stowe). This time of year is cold, but also would make a fun weekend.

Other places to consider: the Berkshires, Portsmouth, NH, Portland, ME, Boston? Drive 1.5 hours longer and go to Montreal?
Old Jan 27, 16, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Burlington sucks in the winter... most likely to be bitterly cold. And it's a small town and not very romantic.

As long as you are going to drive, keep going north for another 90 minutes to go to Montreal. While it will be the same bitter cold, at least it's a real city with lots to do. Also, they have an extensive underground city connecting shopping, hotels, restaurants, office buildings by walkway or subway (Metro) if the weather is really bad.
Old Jan 27, 16, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have not skiied in VT in a number of years, but i really doubt that ski resorts in VT in feb are cheap. also, stow is one of the most expensive places to ski in VT.
Old Jan 27, 16, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Yes, it will be cold in Burlington in the winter. It's a college town, so there will definitely be people out and about, regardless of weather. It's easily walk-able, and there are some fun restaurants and bars. Shopping isn't the best... As an FYI, school vacation week in MA starts on February 13 and that combined with Valentine's day will decrease availability at resorts in New England.
Old Jan 27, 16, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you guys
Old Jan 29, 16, 10:26 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Burlington sucks in the winter... most likely to be bitterly cold. And it's a small town and not very romantic.
+1 This!

It's grey and boring. Keep driving!
Old Jan 29, 16, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Portland Maine will probably be delightful...but then again, it's usually delightful here. Great restaurants, some fun sightseeing and hiking, some shopping but nothing incredible.

I personally don't understand people's preoccupation with Montreal. The architecture is atrocious brutalist. All the restaurants I've been to (after much planning) have been mediocre. There's not much in the way of sightseeing. Meh.
Old Jan 29, 16, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
Portland Maine will probably be delightful...but then again, it's usually delightful here. Great restaurants, some fun sightseeing and hiking, some shopping but nothing incredible.
Seriously? LOL.
Old Jan 31, 16, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Le Club Accor Platinum; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post

I personally don't understand people's preoccupation with Montreal. The architecture is atrocious brutalist. All the restaurants I've been to (after much planning) have been mediocre. There's not much in the way of sightseeing. Meh.
+1 to all of the above. Been to Montreal a few times and have never come away saying, "I definitely have to come back".

BTV is a nice little town, but I wouldn't want to be there in the winter. PWM is a bit more interesting, and even if the weather is terrible outside, at least you can gorge yourself on lobster rolls to stay warm
Old Feb 3, 16, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Burlington is FABULOUS and GORGEOUS this time of year. I love visiting my cousins up there. Go skiing at Stowe; it's close to Burlington.

As gfunkdave said as well, Portland is great to visit in February. We often make a long weekend out of it.
Old Feb 7, 16, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
And it's a small town and not very romantic.
I strongly disagree with the second half of this statement. Between being one of the rare places in New England you can catch a sunset over water (namely, to the west of Lake Champlain), lots of cafes in town and being within an hour drive of a whole lot of beautiful nature any time of year, I think Burlington is romantic even if it's not Paris. This time of year, there's still plenty to enjoy as long as you watch the weather and dress and plan accordingly.
Old Feb 7, 16, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
I (before college) and my parents lived there from 2004 - 2014. Unequivocally February was always the coldest month. I in high school that simply getting above 0 degrees Fahrenheit in February was cause for celebration.

If it's warm it's certainly a fun state to visit in winter (if you like winter) and the ski slopes are solid (if you like to ski). Though as noted above Stowe / Sugarbush / Okemo / Killington are anything but cheap. If it can be last minute just wait until you have a good sense of what the weather is going to be like.

As of now the 10 day forecast says 4 degree high next Saturday (2/13) in which case I wouldn't bother.
Old Feb 9, 16, 8:42 am
Original Poster

Well, it's going to be 0 degrees in both Monteal and Burlington this weekend so I will go to neither.
Old Feb 10, 16, 9:46 am

Northern New England is cold in February. And then there's Vermont-cold. That said, folks in NNE would go nuts if we just shut it down every winter. People will be out, doing outdoor things.

Portland, ME is awesome in Feb as well, as others have said. We used to come up this time every year before we moved here. We have better restaurants than Burlington (or Montreal), to be quite honest.

Search this Thread