FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   New England (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england-452/)
-   -   Best location in Boston for a first time visit (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-england/1711894-best-location-boston-first-time-visit.html)

traveler4ever Sep 23, 2015 6:40 am

Best location in Boston for a first time visit

I was wondering if I could get some advice on where to stay in Boston for our first time visit there. We met some people (from Boston) at a resort we were staying at this summer here in Florida and they recommended the Marriott Wharf Side? Would this be a good location? We could walk to most places? I've booked our tickets for the end of October. Now I just need to book the hotel room :) Also, what would be the best way to get to our hotel? Take a taxi or a shuttle? Thank you for the advice :)

wideman Sep 23, 2015 7:36 am

The Marriott Long Wharf isn't an awful choice, but it wouldn't be my first choice, especially in late October. That Marriott has great access to the Rose Kennedy Greenway, any types of harbor cruises, the North End, and the Quincy Market area. However, late October isn't a great time for harbor cruises (especially for people from Florida), and most of Boston's best attractions are harder to reach from the Waterfront area.

Most people would be much happier with a hotel in the Back Bay/Public Garden area -- the Four Seasons or Taj, for example if budget allows. Easy walking distance to Beacon Hill, Newbury Street shopping, Freedom Trail, Boston Common/Boston Public Garden, South End restaurants, and the theatre district.

Weather in late October might find a lovely day with temps in the very low 60s, or a nasty early taste of whats-to-come with a howling wind and temps in the chilly 40s. The wise traveler is prepared for either.

lo2e Sep 23, 2015 4:46 pm

While I don't disagree with wideman's assessment, I will say that one huge positive the Marriott Long Wharf has going for it, the Aquarium T (subway) stop is right out the front door. Literally. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if the hotel had direct access to the subway platforms. So if you're looking to go anywhere in the area that is reachable by subway, it pretty much doesn't get any more convenient.

TWToKM Sep 23, 2015 10:15 pm

I think this depends somewhat on what you plan on seeing and doing while in town. Boston is definitely a very walkable city, but if you plan on focusing on an area or venturing out a bit, positioning yourself near certain means of transportation may make things a bit easier... Especially since as one poster pointed out, it could possibly be a little cold and rainy. Do you have a tentative list of sights you plan to hit while you are in town, or will you be playing it by ear?

Regarding your question about the best way to get to the hotel from the airport, I think that question would be better addressed once you know where you will be staying. Certain areas of town are very accessible via public transportation, but for other areas, you may prefer a cab.

octr202 Sep 24, 2015 6:32 am

If going for Long Wharf for transit access, keep in mind that the Blue Line only currently makes one transfer stop in downtown to other lines (the Orange at State St), as Government Center (Green Line) is closed.

That said, it's only about a 3(ish) block walk to Haymarket for the Orange and Green Lines, and if the weather's nice, the walk to South Station for the Red Line is about 12-15 mins, depending on how fast you walk.

BostonFlyer1624 Sep 24, 2015 11:21 am

Marriott has a new property called the Envoy hotel. It is in the Seaport district.

You can walk along Atlantic Ave up through the greenway, hit Faneuil Hall, the aquarium, and be surrounded by amazing restaurants.

A bit further (either Taxi/Uber/or T) is the downtown Back Bay area, the common, and Copley.

As others mentioned, it depends what you want to do and who you will be with.

traveler4ever Sep 24, 2015 12:05 pm

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for all the advice! I greatly appreciate it. After your comments about the Marriott Wharfside (Wideman) I started looking at the Back Bay area. I am going for the weekend (Thursday evening till Sunday morning) with my husband. We both enjoy walking so that shouldn't be a problem. I am looking into different hotels more centrally located now so we can walk in one direction one morning and the other direction the next morning :) Because of the price (like $300. a night less than the Four Seasons!) I'm thinking the XV Beacon. It is a American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts participant. We would get $100 food and beverage credit, along with complimentary breakfast each morning. The location looks pretty good but I've never been to Boston, so I'm not real sure. TWToKM, the XV Beacon has a car for $40.00 from the airport too! We don't have any plans yet but I am looking into things to do. I saw there are even walking food tours! That might be fun to do but for the most part, no plans... Just see Boston and all the history there.

VidaNaPraia Sep 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by traveler4ever (Post 25473068)
the XV Beacon has a car for $40.00 from the airport too!

That's pretty high IMO vs a regular taxi or Uber/Lyft. You can also take the T for free from the airport (Silver line and then transfer at South Station).

N639DL Sep 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Going from the airport, you can get to your hotel for free. The Silver Line (it is a bus that the T likes to think is a train) goes to Logan and picks up at the airport for free and then you can transfer and go anywhere on the subway system. It will take you to South Station, and then from there you can transfer to the Red Line. Take that Northbound (towards Alewife) two stops and get off at Park Street. From that stop it is a 5 minute walk along Boston Common to the hotel.

CKDGM Sep 25, 2015 2:11 pm

I've never stayed at XV Beacon, but the location is great for a base; you can easily walk to/from any of the four subway lines (even with Government Center closed), and many attractions are nearby as well.

Like other respondents, I'd recommend taking the Silver Line in from the airport as long as you don't have a huge amount of luggage to haul.

Enjoy Boston!

traveler4ever Nov 10, 2015 7:01 pm

To be honest, we weren't comfortable taking the subway as we would've had to have known where we were going and as I said, we had never been to Boston before. It was just a quick weekend getaway. We thoroughly enjoyed the XV Beacon! Had a small Emmet's pub next door to visit before heading back to the hotel. We walked the Freedom Trail and visited Quincy Market. Had some clam chowder at the Boston Chowda company. It was so good! We had lunch the next day at Atlantic Fish. I want to return to Boston just to have some more of the lemon sole! Their clam chowder wasn't as memorable as the Boston Chowda company's chowder. Had a lobster roll the day before at James Hook & company, which was really good but when we were at the Atlantic Fish restaurant, theirs looked really good too. I would return and I would stay at XV Beacon again. The staff was just great. It wasn't a big hotel. Cozy boutique hotel. Loved the location. We walked to the park and over to Newbury street from the hotel. We walked, walked, walked! Loved it all. Very friendly city. We did use their car service for our return to the airport. It was just a very relaxing weekend getaway!

PWMTrav Nov 11, 2015 12:17 pm

We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency by the Theater District when we drive down from Maine. I've walked past and stopped in the lobby of the XV Beacon recently, and it's definitely a place I'd stay based on the look of the place and the interaction with staff. You'd be surprised how many hotel lobbies you become acquainted with when you're walking big cities with a 3 year old :D I didn't realize it was in the FHR program - we'll definitely give it a go next time.

trueblu Nov 25, 2015 7:25 am

Originally Posted by PWMTrav (Post 25698228)
We usually stay at the Hyatt Regency by the Theater District when we drive down from Maine. I've walked past and stopped in the lobby of the XV Beacon recently, and it's definitely a place I'd stay based on the look of the place and the interaction with staff. You'd be surprised how many hotel lobbies you become acquainted with when you're walking big cities with a 3 year old :D I didn't realize it was in the FHR program - we'll definitely give it a go next time.

We stayed one night in a junior suite at XV Beacon many moons ago before we lived in BOS and had a great time. Have eaten there a handful of times: their lunchtime deal is good value, but dinner at the steakhouse is pricey (as steakhouses tend to be!).

tb