Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Official 2015 New England Fall Foliage Thread

Official 2015 New England Fall Foliage Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:50 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I hope you're right, Analise. I think your best chance of seeing all of the prime colors are going to be in far southern Maine by that point, but of course I would love it for you if it stayed a little further north until you come and go!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:10 am
Formerly known as kmht

Programs: Alcoholics Anonymous
here in Central NH we are starting to really see some colors and according to the news are expected to peak this weekend in this area
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lo2e
I hope you're right, Analise. I think your best chance of seeing all of the prime colors are going to be in far southern Maine by that point, but of course I would love it for you if it stayed a little further north until you come and go!
From what you see, do you think the report is wrong? We won't be focusing our weekend on York or Kittery!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:01 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Analise
From what you see, do you think the report is wrong? We won't be focusing our weekend on York or Kittery!
I don't know how they come up with the foliage color key, but here where I am south of Augusta, I see a LOT of reds, oranges, and yellows. So it wouldn't surprise me if this area turns more toward browns by next weekend, but of course for your sake I hope I'm wrong!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 3:10 pm

I don't know how they come up with the foliage color key, but here where I am south of Augusta, I see a LOT of reds, oranges, and yellows.
I bet it's GORGEOUS! Ok, thanks for the heads up.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:27 pm

We just spent the day in the Sebago Lake region and the leaves were bursting with color! We are at the Portland Head Light now enjoying sunset. We did pick the perfect weekend to be here. We feel very lucky that peak foliage was delayed an extra week.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:49 pm
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

We just spent the day in the Sebago Lake region and the leaves were bursting with color! We are at the Portland Head Light now enjoying sunset. We did pick the perfect weekend to be here. We feel very lucky that peak foliage was delayed an extra week.
Awesome! I think if you had waited until next weekend you'd have been out of luck - a lot of leaves are falling around my area and the colors have turned from red, yellow, and orange to mostly yellow/brown.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Awesome! I think if you had waited until next weekend you'd have been out of luck - a lot of leaves are falling around my area and the colors have turned from red, yellow, and orange to mostly yellow/brown.
...just need to hold on until Wednesday...
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:07 am

Hotel prices were MUCH less expensive this past weekend compared with Columbus Day weekend too. From what I heard on local news stations, it was a warm September that made all of the difference. The colors in the Sebago Lake region as well as Long Lake and Lake Thompson were a leaf peepers' dream. Moreover, NO ONE WAS THERE except my hubby and me!!!

We can't say that for Portland. With the cruise ships and huge coach buses from North Carolina and Ohio, the Portland Head Light was a NIGHTMARE of what seemed like endless coach buses of tourists. Traffic was awful at Fort Williams Park.

What we didn't expect is that it took 8 hours to get home last night. It seemed like this past weekend was a hub of road construction.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:56 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

What we didn't expect is that it took 8 hours to get home last night. It seemed like this past weekend was a hub of road construction.
Funny that you mention that, I was just telling my wife the other day how there seem to be a LOT of nowhere-near-finished construction projects going on in the area right now.

Last edited by lo2e; Oct 19, 2015 at 10:25 am Reason: Spelling error - d'oh!
Old Oct 19, 2015, 9:14 pm

Funny that you mention that, I was just telling my wife the other day how there seem to be a LOT of nowhere-near-finished construction projects going on in the area right now.
That seems like an understatement. From Maine to CT -- construction, construction, construction.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 2:58 pm

Vermont (Burlington and south on I-89) still has some color (mostly yellow, some orange), which, along with mountains and lake views, provides a wonderful backdrop when arriving/departing BTV. The leaves in the Northeast Kingdom are mostly gone, however.

The trees are looking pretty nice here in VA as well!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by EricTheNerd
Vermont (Burlington and south on I-89) still has some color (mostly yellow, some orange), which, along with mountains and lake views, provides a wonderful backdrop when arriving/departing BTV. The leaves in the Northeast Kingdom are mostly gone, however.
Confirmed, drove from Boston to Montreal on Wednesday and there was some color, just not the full vibrant color of peak season. Found a few intense orange trees scattered about, but most yellow, fading yellow, and bare limbs north of Mass.

Though much to our surprise, found some amazing bright orange/yellow maples in Montreal itself, at Le Fleuve St Laurent near the Old Port. We stumbled across two rows of trees at peak color and with almost full coverage, right as the setting sun hit them. Amazing, will have to try to post pics. Our fall foliage trip is complete

Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Pretty trees on the Hutch and Merritt parkways over the weekend
Old Oct 27, 2015, 5:05 am
Ambassador, New England
Original Poster

Local meteorologists seem to be indicating there is a wind/rain storm hitting the area Wednesday into Thursday, which could wipe away any remaining foliage still on the trees. Get out to see it today if you can!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.