Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > New England
Reload this Page >

Cambridge/MIT Good place for a get together

Old Jul 26, 15, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum Pro

I volunteered to plan a get together for several out-of-towners coming to Boston for a conference. The conference is at MIT, most people will be staying at or around the Marriott. We want to do a meet-up, I am expecting 15 people but it could possibly balloon from there. Most people will just be drinking, but a few would probably like to eat. Since I dont have a budget and am not planning on taking that many people on the subway, I figure I will stick around the MIT area.

First that comes to mind is the Asgard, but would like something that maybe had an outdoor area. Any suggestions? This will be either a Monday or a Wednesday. Monday should be fine for not being crowded. More worried if we have to do a Wednesday.

P.S. How expensive is MeadHall? I have not been there but heard lots of good things.

Last edited by Cloudship; Jul 26, 15 at 1:06 pm
Old Jul 26, 15, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic
MeadHall is medium expensive -- it's all about the beer and which one you order. They have an upstairs area where they will rope off a section -- or open up a private room. So, potentially a good choice.

Champions at the Marriott has no character at all (and mediocre food but some decent beers); however, they do have a small outside area and will allow you to cordon off a small section for a group.

Firebrand Saints has a decent outside area. As does Commonwealth. Those will be a step up in class from Champions and food-wise from Mead Hall.
Old Jul 29, 15, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM, MR LT Plat Premier
Tavern in the Square in Central Square, about a 15 minute walk from MIT, has a private room that you can reserve as well.
Old Jul 31, 15, 11:58 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
If you're around Marriott/MIT area, I think Meadhall is a good choice of venue. Beer selection is diverse, and beer/food prices are comparable to any other Cambridge/Boston bar, in my opinion.

No outdoor seating, but when the weather is nice, they open up the floor-to-ceiling windows at the front, which gives it a more "outdoor-ish" feel.
Old Aug 11, 15, 7:14 am

Programs: SPG
You might check out State Park, which is a faux-dive bar walkable from the Marriott. Cheaper than Meadhall, and has patio tables too, games, pool table, good beer selection, quirky cocktails etc... Meadhall is good food and drink, but the space is cavernous and bland IMO.

Search this Thread