Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Driving to Pa from RI

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Driving to Pa from RI

I am driving from Providence, Ri to Harrisburg, Pa Friday, July 3 rd probably leaving around 7am. My GPS takes me 95S across the George Washington bridge around NYC. I am expecting heavier traffic because of the holiday, can anyone recommend another route that may not be quite as buuy to get around NYC?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Welcome to FT, Kisskait.

I went to York (just south of Harrisburg) a couple years ago, and while I came from further north, most of the route I took is what you'd take.

From 95, definitely take 287 West across the Tappan Zee Bridge, stay on 287 all the way until I-78 West.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:21 am

I would definately avoid getting so close to NYC, the Tappan Zee is the way to go.

I would use Waze (free traffic/navigation app) for this trip. Waze isn't always perfect, but in this case will provide a good source of up to the minute information.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
A bit late for July 3, but we live on the south coast of Massachusetts, have kids west of Philly and do essentially that trip (via Providence) often - most recently back yesterday. Second the advice to avoid the GWB and Cross-Bronx "expressway" route in favor of the Tappan Zee, unless you're going through that area at about 3 am on a Sunday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.