Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Portland, ME - where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Just wanted to report back on this (for anyone else who is interested)...stayed at the Westin for 3 nights. Stayed on the 11th floor with harbor view - very nice views (when it wasn't foggy or rainy). Front desk was helpful enough. 2 slow elevators, one of which was out of commission half the time...not a fan of that, particularly being on a higher floor. The feel of the rooms was nice and modern, but it has the same feel that a lot of these 'modernized' older structures have...looks nice but feels a bit cheap.

Location-wise, was a fan. No way could I have stayed at Hyatt Place...way too noisy on Fore Street at night. The Westin is a bit of a hike to that part of town (~10 minutes walking at a leisurely pace), but I liked that. There was an arts and crafts fare right outside the hotel on the street stretching for over half a mile.

I'd probably stay here next time I visit, in all. Appreciated racking up 500 SPG points for each night we conserved on towels.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:48 pm

Excellent. Did you have a drink at the bar on the roof?
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Excellent. Did you have a drink at the bar on the roof?
I did not - was raining 2 of the 3 nights we were there. I did go to Novare Res twice, though. Liked the outdoor seating area, and they have a great beer selection (although I would have liked more non-Belgian and more local options). Small things to nitpick about. I also liked that it's not by the road and only by a private parking lot that is closed at night - yet you're only a short walk to Fore Street across the lot.
Old Sep 12, 2015, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I did not - was raining 2 of the 3 nights we were there. I did go to Novare Res twice, though. Liked the outdoor seating area, and they have a great beer selection (although I would have liked more non-Belgian and more local options). Small things to nitpick about. I also liked that it's not by the road and only by a private parking lot that is closed at night - yet you're only a short walk to Fore Street across the lot.
Novare Res is great. Their goal, though, is to serve good international beers and specifically not things that are very available at other places in the area. Good Maine beer is available in pretty much every decent restaurant, any other bar and most grocery stores. If you visit again, let me know what you're in the mood for food-wise and I'll point you to somewhere to eat with a nice local beer selection.

If you just wanted beer, I'd have sent you to the Great Lost Bear.
Old Sep 13, 2015, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Been there a few times!
Old Sep 13, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Novare Res is great. Their goal, though, is to serve good international beers and specifically not things that are very available at other places in the area. Good Maine beer is available in pretty much every decent restaurant, any other bar and most grocery stores. If you visit again, let me know what you're in the mood for food-wise and I'll point you to somewhere to eat with a nice local beer selection.

We ended up doing the following for food...

2x Eventide Oyster Co. (fantastic, awesome, etc.)
David's Opus Ten (a bit disappointing, especially on the service side)
Street & Co. (lobster diavolo FTW)
Fisherman's Grill (a bit divey and feel like they overcharge for their lobster rolls)
Bite Into Maine (phenomenal)
Otto's (actually was quite impressed with the quality of the pizza)
Old Sep 13, 2015, 6:29 pm

We ended up doing the following for food...

2x Eventide Oyster Co. (fantastic, awesome, etc.)
David's Opus Ten (a bit disappointing, especially on the service side)
Street & Co. (lobster diavolo FTW)
Fisherman's Grill (a bit divey and feel like they overcharge for their lobster rolls)
Bite Into Maine (phenomenal)
Otto's (actually was quite impressed with the quality of the pizza)
I haven't been to Opus Ten. The rest on that list are definitely some of the better places. Fisherman's Grill is a total dive, but I really like their chowder.

Lobster rolls are hard to screw up. In light of that, I like them at Portland Lobster Co (was $16 with fries about 2 weeks ago when I went) - mostly because I like to sit outside and have it with a couple of good beers. The place is definitely on the tourist checklist, but it's not bad.

I've never had a bad time at Eventide. But depending on the time of day, finishing up across the street at Duckfat for a shake is a good idea.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

When we're in Portland, we go to Gilberts or breakfast at Becky's. For lobster, we'll leave Portland and go to Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster or Five Islands Lobster. Living in NYC, we're surrounded by upscale. What I love about Maine is how laid back everything is.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by Analise
When we're in Portland, we go to Gilberts or breakfast at Becky's. For lobster, we'll leave Portland and go to Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster or Five Islands Lobster. Living in NYC, we're surrounded by upscale. What I love about Maine is how laid back everything is.
Becky's and Gilbert's are pretty good. Packed with tourists from May-September, so I avoid 'em for half the year but I'm happy for their success. Palace Diner down in Biddeford (closer to me, actually) is very solid if you're driving south and want something like Becky's.

Our upscale is still laid back by national standards. Wear your jeans and a t-shirt to Hugo's? No problem. And there's some real innovation happening there, if you're into that sort of thing. While NYC/SF/Chicago have similar styles of restaurant, Hugo's is still a unique experience.

Eventide (same owners) might well be the best restaurant of its kind on the east coast - I won't compare west coast oysters bars serving west coast oysters since they're fairly different.

Central Provisions is another can't miss for me right now. If you can get in and get a seat. Best bet is to show up early at the bar downstairs, have some drinks, and stay until 5 when dinner starts. You won't get to see the kitchen down there, but you will get a little more elbow room and some really awesome service at the bar. Plus some people watching out the half windows.

It's gotten hard over the past 5 years to have a bad meal in Portland. The competition is insane. Bad restaurants don't stay open long, and the hot market has actually had the secondary benefit of pushing good new restaurants to open a little further out. Palace Diner, which I already mentioned, is an example of that.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Eventide (same owners) might well be the best restaurant of its kind on the east coast - I won't compare west coast oysters bars serving west coast oysters since they're fairly different.
Eventide is phenomenal. Absolutely crushes the best oyster bars in NYC (Upstate and Cull & Pistol, IMO) by far, and that goes for the beer selection as well (Upstate has a lot of beers on tap). Our second trip to Eventide featured Glacier Bay oysters from Alaska...first time I'd had oysters from the Last Frontier, and I was very impressed with the quality.

Lobster roll with brown butter at $12 is a freakin' steal.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 8:23 pm

Eventide is phenomenal. Absolutely crushes the best oyster bars in NYC (Upstate and Cull & Pistol, IMO) by far, and that goes for the beer selection as well (Upstate has a lot of beers on tap). Our second trip to Eventide featured Glacier Bay oysters from Alaska...first time I'd had oysters from the Last Frontier, and I was very impressed with the quality.

Lobster roll with brown butter at $12 is a freakin' steal.
Gotta try their baked stuffed lobster if it's ever on the chalkboard. It's half a lobster (split) with a really nice buttery stuffing and some greens. Their lobster roll is my favorite. I sort of make 'em at home now, sans the steamed Chinese bun since I don't know how to do those yet.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I live right behind Eventide and am happy the tourists are slowly disappearing so I can decide to go there for dinner and not wait 90 mins.

The David's restaurants have disappointed me when I've been to them.

We love Ebb & Flow. Ri Ra has great bar food and fun Tues night trivia (which we never miss - let me know if you'll be there!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.