Wiki Posts
Search

ideas for 2/3 day in Boston?

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2015, 2:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

ideas for 2/3 day in Boston?

I have all morning and afternoon in Boston. What to do? Renting a car is possible, if this helps. If there's an aviation museum, I want to go but I don't see one, except for one coming in 2018.

Ideas:
1. JFK Museum
2. drive to Maine for a lobster (probably not a good use of time as Boston has lobsters if one really wants to eat one).
3. Museum of Fine Arts
4. Climb the Bunker Hill Monument
5. USS Constitution
X. Observation deck on the Logan Airport control tower (NO, no longer open to the public)

Any comments on if these are over-rated or if you have other ideas? If you really know Boston and have a suggested order of visiting some of these, let me know.

Will probably do 5 then 1 and maybe 4. Have to be at the airport by 5:30-5.45 pm. May have the chance to visit again for a day next year.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:48 pm

Gardner Museum
Harbor islands
Yankee lobster/James Hook
Freedom trail
Swan boats

Constitution is now in dry dock afaik
Old May 28, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Don't rent a car.
You can take a free airport shuttle to the Hyatt Boston Harbor Hotel, and from there catch the water taxi to Downtown.

Walk the Freedom Trail. The Commons and Public Gardens. Lots of supreme seafood, including waterside. Stroll the North End. The New England Aquarium. The Museum of Science is worth a visit and has a great planetarium.
Old May 28, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
Agree about not renting a car... Boston is a very walkable city. You can also hop on silver line from airport to downtown, which is free from the airport. Freedom Trail is a great idea suggested by someone and will take you through sites you and others have mentioned (Bunker Hill Memorial, USS Constitution, North End, Common). The JFK Museum isn't right downtown, but is accessible by T. Just take Red Line to JFK/UMass stop. You can either walk from T Station (I would guess about a mile, but not exactly sure) or I believe there is a free shuttle from the subway station there. Obviously given it is not right downtown, you may have to sacrifice some other sites if you choose to go there. Agree with poster who suggested harbor islands. Trips offer great view of Boston skyline. If you are just looking for skyline view and water trip, there also used to be ferry (also requires shuttle bus at airport stop to get to exact terminal) that went to Airport from same area and still providing you a view of downtown from the water. I believe it still runs, but not sure of exact departure point or fare. And yes, lobster can be found in Boston, so spend your time here, rather than trekking to Maine and having to worry about possible traffic getting back to airport.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum
Old May 28, 2015, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
(...)
James Hook
(...)
+1

don't know any of the other places, but James Hook isa revelation ^
Old May 29, 2015, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
You didn't say when you'll be there, but there's a Hokusai exhibit at the Museum of Fine Arts through August 9. If you're at all interested in Japanese art, it gets rave reviews. (We're going in June, so I can't give you a personal opinion yet.) If you're not into that genre, the MFA can wait.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.