Search

BOS domestic to international connection question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat blah blah
BOS domestic to international connection question

Hello
Wanting to catch the 9pm AerLingus out of BOS; connecting to that with a direct DL at arrives at 7:03pm. Is this doable? Looks like DL arrives at A and AerLingus departs out of E. What if checking bags? Forget it? Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by paramenace
Hello
Wanting to catch the 9pm AerLingus out of BOS; connecting to that with a direct DL at arrives at 7:03pm. Is this doable? Looks like DL arrives at A and AerLingus departs out of E. What if checking bags? Forget it? Thanks for your help.
With almost 2 hours to make a transfer you'll have plenty of time. There are regular shuttles going around the terminals, it's also possible to walk through the central parking. I did it (walking) when Northwest was flying from E and was merging with Delta, then and now in A.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:47 pm

Programs: Marriott, AAdvantage, United, Club Carlson
Logan is fairly small when compared to the large airports of the world (JFK, LHR, etc).

As noted above, you can easily walk or bus it in plenty of time.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:04 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Would this be one ticket or two? My only concern would be that if you buy this as two separate tickets and the DL flight is late, Aer Lingus is not under any obligation to help you. In reality, they'd probably switch you to the next flight with seats (which would be, at the earliest, the next day), but you'd be on your own for the hotel.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Would this be one ticket or two? My only concern would be that if you buy this as two separate tickets and the DL flight is late, Aer Lingus is not under any obligation to help you. In reality, they'd probably switch you to the next flight with seats (which would be, at the earliest, the next day), but you'd be on your own for the hotel.
Makes sense
Thanks everyone for the input. This would be 2 separate tickets, and my other concern is having to get bags from baggage claim (wife insists on packing a lot for international trip:-) and then back through security and all that.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by paramenace
Makes sense
Thanks everyone for the input. This would be 2 separate tickets, and my other concern is having to get bags from baggage claim (wife insists on packing a lot for international trip:-) and then back through security and all that.
I would be very nervous about this plan. There are many examples on FT where this doesn't work out well.

If you miss the Aer Lingus flight, they are under zero option to help you out. DL would also not have any obligation. Sure, Aer Lingus might take pity on you, but I would not plan on it. If you knew of the delay with enough notice, you could potentially change flights, but for a large fee.

You have to check in for Aer Lingus 75 minutes before the flight. If your DL flight was 15 minutes late, you would have 30 minutes to get your bags and walk to E. That seems very tight, given the possibility of losing 100% of your flight's value.

I would fly in the day before and spend a day in Boston.

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...a-help-me.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...snowstorm.html

Last edited by will2288; Mar 28, 2015 at 12:16 pm
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:13 pm

With separate tickets and checked luggage, it becomes a very different story. Aer Lingus seems to have a minimum check-in time of 75 minutes -- "Passengers who do not comply with Check-in Deadlines will not be accepted for travel. They may change their booking up until the flight they were booked on has departed, thereafter it will be treated as a 'no-show' and the booking will be forfeited."

With a 9pm departure from BOS, that means you have to be checked in no later than 7:45. If your incoming flight is exactly on time, the amount of time it takes to get bags delivered and then find your way from Term A to Term E and the EI counter would likely allow you to check in on time. But if your flight is delayed by 10 or 15 minutes, or if your bags are delayed, or if you take a few wrong turns on the way between terminals, you'd be out of luck.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input everyone
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:37 am

Programs: DL PM/1 MM, Bonvoy LTT
I would also add that Boston is not the quickest airport when it comes to delivering bags to baggage claim.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:19 pm

You might try getting to Boston on JetBlue instead. JetBlue and Aer Lingus are codeshare partners, so you might be able to book it as a single ticket, or at least merge your two tickets into the same PNR. I'm sure the folks on the JetBlue forum can advise on how to merge tickets.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: AA plat; SPG Gold; club 5c
LGA-BOS-LHR-onward 1hr connection in BOS

Was wondering if someone could opine on whehter this is enough time. Bags will be checked through but i thought i read somewhere that to get from Terminal B to E you have to go landside. any thoughts would be appreciated. thank you
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA Million Miler, Mosaic, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
Was wondering if someone could opine on whehter this is enough time. Bags will be checked through but i thought i read somewhere that to get from Terminal B to E you have to go landside. any thoughts would be appreciated. thank you
Yes, that's correct. I think it's too tight of a connection since LGA-BOS is not a model of on time arrival.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Yahtzee
Yes, that's correct. I think it's too tight of a connection since LGA-BOS is not a model of on time arrival.
thanks. suspected as much. will make other arrangements.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by DrGiggles
What airline are you flying to London on? International arrivals all come into E, but many departures don't leave from there - especially those of U.S. airlines that also have domestic flights from BOS.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 4:17 pm

thanks for the reply. Would have been on BA. ended up looking to fly out prior day and found something out of the local airport so problem solved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.